Notices

Learning to cope weekender thread Aug 22-24!!

Old 08-22-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I'm in!

CristinaN, so good to see you back! Sorry you relapsed, what happened, want to talk about it? What's been going on with you? Stay close, we're here!
Old 08-22-2014, 06:00 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Marcher13 View Post
Can't sit up all night getting drunk? What can you do? You can do anything within reason.
I completely agree with this and encourage folks to start finding their "anything". For me in early sobriety those options were somewhat limited of course. My health, my financial situation....I couldn't sail off to the Bahamas with a supermodel on a boat full of Ben & Jerry's. However, I do remember thinking about some more realistic options - I've always liked photography and started working on taking my camera and tripod out at night to capture city lights and nighttime scenes. I'd never taken my camera out after dark before, as I'd have been passed out. It felt great to say "hey, I can do this now!" and actually feel a little excitement take hold. It's that little grain of hope that builds a good foundation.

Happy Friday folks. Working here. Must get back to the phones and e-mails now, but looking forward to checking in soon!
Old 08-22-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by melki View Post
I'm in! CristinaN, so good to see you back! Sorry you relapsed, what happened, want to talk about it? What's been going on with you? Stay close, we're here!

Hey Melki. Well I was good until I went on vacation this month and just decided to drink again. I've been drinking off and on for a few weeks and realized I just don't want that. So here I am again.
Kids are going back to school on Monday so I want them to have a rested sober momma when I take them.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:38 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

I've always liked photography and started working on taking my camera and tripod out at night to capture city lights and nighttime scenes. I'd never taken my camera out after dark before, as I'd have been passed out. It felt great to say "hey, I can do this now!"
I love photography, too. It is my zen time! Although I still don't take my camera out at night mainly bc, as a sober person, I sleep really really well and am in bed by 10. LOL! BUT I do get up super early and get some morning shots that are pretty awesome.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:40 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Trach - I would do the music, but you set the bar pretty darn high. And other than posting a youtube video, I'm not sure how to do it. So I'll just sing. Can you all hear me???
Old 08-22-2014, 07:47 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

I've got 12 days under my belt, and if I make it to/through Sunday, I'll have a SOLID 2 weeks- I WILL do it.

In spite of a full, full docket of stuff to do this weekend (much if it near booze), I am NOT going to slip. I AM going to have a fun, busy, happy weekend, and I am not going to drink.
Old 08-22-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 67 (permalink)  

It's tomato drying time! I'm getting a late start. I just deposited a quart of orange cherry and grape on my neighbor + a couple pounds of purples.
Time to get the dehydrator set up and prepare tomatoes to dry, then vacuum pack in olive oil. I have around 10 lbs of plum tomatoes to process. Guess I'm gonna be busy. Peppers, cucumbers - pickles and much more. And a TON of weeds!

Everyone keep yourselves busy and stay focused. Idle hands and minds can lead to undesirable actions.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:02 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Idle is def NOT my problem this weekend, lol.
Old 08-22-2014, 08:05 AM
  # 69 (permalink)  

power to the people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtvlBS4PMF0
Old 08-22-2014, 10:48 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Day 22 over here and here's to another sober weekend! Thanks for continued support folks! Can't beleive how quick this has come around again! Hope you all stay in sobriety land!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:32 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

Lately, my weekends have devolved into a sugar and caffeine orgy as I'm trying to de-stress from the week. This usually leaves me ending up an anxious and addled mess facing the next week.

These "School of Rock" kids covering the song "46 and 2" by the band Tool will (hopefully) give me the motivation for a healthier weekend. It's a song about "shedding old skins" and transformation.

I'll be One Year Sober tomorrow.

Happy Sober Weekend, everyone
Old 08-22-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 72 (permalink)  

Congratulations, NewGuy!
Old 08-22-2014, 11:44 AM
  # 73 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Congrats New Guy!!!

Work is almost done for the day. Hope everyone is doing well.

Ken
Old 08-22-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Well done, New Guy!!!
Old 08-22-2014, 12:21 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

well Weasel, I'm NOT! I have a new hobby. My neighbor cut down his Ailanthus (?) tree a couple weeks ago -tree of Heaven and various names. He didn't kill it first. I have hundreds of shoots coming up everywhere. EVERYWHERE! I GOOGLED it . This is worse than a martian invasion. I mean they are coming up everywhere. Did I say everywhere yet? This is more frustrating than google for sure.
I'm not big on poisons, but after reading about it, if I don't go to herbicides I will be pulling these things out of the ground every day until the end of time. After I pulled out about a hundred I look around and see a hundred more.

I am not exaggerating. Off to home depot I go to spend money I didn't plan to. I had a dream last night I won a million dollars in the lottery. Maybe I can move out of here pretty quick if my dream comes true.
Old 08-22-2014, 12:31 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by thenewguy View Post
Lately, my weekends have devolved into a sugar and caffeine orgy as I'm trying to de-stress from the week. This usually leaves me ending up an anxious and addled mess facing the next week.

These "School of Rock" kids covering the song "46 and 2" by the band Tool will (hopefully) give me the motivation for a healthier weekend. It's a song about "shedding old skins" and transformation.

I'll be One Year Sober tomorrow.

Happy Sober Weekend, everyone
Happy anniversary for tomorrow!
Old 08-22-2014, 12:45 PM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hmm. You can't sit in direct sunlight on an extremely hot day with an iPad. Mine shut down with a warning that it needed to cool off before using. Lost all of what I typed.

Still working on cleaning. It's getting there. I hate having to take days off of work to clean. Note to self. Get on top of it all every day. I dusted book shelves and reorganized them. Am getting rid of some of them and taking them to a book resale shop that will give me credit. I found a kitchen renovation guide I forgot I had. That will be handy.

Yay NewGuy! That's great.

Brain, what a lot of yard work. My mother always calls Tree of Heaven "trash trees" because of that sprouting. Much like she is cursing the Rose of Sharon that is spreading all over the place. Good luck with getting rid of it.

Time to get back to work. It always takes longer because I start, see more that needs to get done and keep going. Going to a meeting tonight at seven. Talk to you all later!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:16 PM
  # 78 (permalink)  

Wow- GREAT cover of a VERY hard Tool song. That tune is a BEAR to play on any instrument (I know firsthand how hard the drum line is for it).
Old 08-22-2014, 01:36 PM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Good job, Hobbers, on 12 days. I'm exactly 1 week behind you. I hope we'll both be celebrating on Sunday. Me, one week. You, two.
We can do this!
Old 08-22-2014, 01:43 PM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Good going Thenewguy. A year is a good stretch of time. Here's to another one.
Just finished exercising. Cooling down now then off to do some more puttering at work. My work is all day everyday with small breaks throughout. How about the black cloth idea on the never ending shoots Brain. Starve the thing of light!
Hope your thinking went well today weasel. See y'all soon.