Notices

Back to Basics sober Weekender Thread Aug 1-3

Old 07-31-2014, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Lightbulb Back to Basics sober Weekender Thread Aug 1-3

Last weekends "Petty" party was arguably the best attended and most fun weekender thread to date. We clearly hold our pets close to our hearts. And some of us hold Tom Petty closer. Thanks Trachemys!

Keep posting all the pet, flower, vacation, post card pictures you want!!! I love that part of the weekend thread.

But I want to get back to some basics of surviving the weekends sober. It's a selfish sorta thing with me. I have to go visit NY where I moved from next week and I am preparing now for how to handle it. I have to go to clear some things up and the feelings of the trip won't be easy.

In true alcoholic form my AV is trying to set the ground work now for it. I won't let it. So in getting back to basics I mean I need to sharpen my skills this weekend. Perhaps living somewhat in isolation has made me duller than I need to be. Took easy weekends for granted.

It was on my 1000002nd try I stayed sober for any period of time. I promised myself I won't be trying that 1000003rd any time soon. I mean that.

I worked hard to make today not something that's merely trapped in-between yesterday and tomorrow. I made my today more of what I wanted. It can bring me to tears to think of how today is for me. I am grateful beyond words. But I did that. No one handed me it. And I cannot and will not hand it over to someone else. I own it.

We all own our own happiness.

So let's have some more weekender fun!!!!!! Share how you work your weekends with the team. Newcomers join in! Been lurking? Say hello!

Welcome to your sober weekend! *Ring Ring*

Ken
Old 07-31-2014, 08:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

shotgun

Since I haven't been working for a while, every day is a weekend. I've been trying to make new sober friends.

This has sort of blown up in my face this past week as one of my new friends has started drinking daily. I really like his brother, but they live together and mister tie-one-on has made me make a decision I don't want to make. It's impossible (for me) to be around him, he's too difficult when he drinks.

I'm not going back there - not back to walking on eggshells around drunks nor back to being one of them. nopenopenopenope.

Happy almost weekend!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

staying busy helps. being present helps. I also try to pay attention to how I feel so good in the mornings compared to the old days. quiet coffee with the birds is not something I regularly did when using. I try to stay aware of any area of my life that has improved. I figure its just reinforcement. thanks for threads weasel. really cool idea.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Good job on sticking to your Gus BiMB.... And we start the thread around this time since it's Friday in Australia!

Hey L! Glad to have you on the sober weekend bus!
Old 07-31-2014, 08:58 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

“What day is it?", asked Winnie the Pooh
"It's today," squeaked Piglet
"My favorite day," said Pooh
― A.A. Milne

I go to Winnie the Pooh for all of my inspiration.

I am in for the weekend!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:03 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

In!

*ring ring*
Old 07-31-2014, 09:13 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

"nopenopenopenope"

Move one letter, puncuate...

open, open, open, open,
Old 07-31-2014, 09:16 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey olive.... How do you suppose you will get a picture of that card! I saw it and thought that's the one!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:18 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Fandy and the 5 cats, One Dog worries when you go back there Weasey....perhaps stop at Theresa's house and ask for some sage to burn to cleanse the atmosphere.

don't linger in the dirt, it will mess with you.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:23 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Definitely in! Weekends are family time for me. My 6 and 9 year olds keep me busy. Neighbor / friend is out of town this weekend and letting us borrow his pool... FUN for kids and for sober Dad!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

From the wayback machine:

Old 07-31-2014, 09:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Hey olive.... How do you suppose you will get a picture of that card! I saw it and thought that's the one!
Best card ever!!!
It is a pickle to photograph, though! I have been kicking around with it and I am thinking I have the best I am going to get. It is on my camera, which needs a special cable to download to my computer, which is at home. But I will get to it right away this afternoon and post for all to enjoy!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:33 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Miss Fandy... I worry too. But it will be fine. I have a strong plan and practicing it as much as I can. I need to resolve things.

Always good to have you on the bus Trach and FKevin!!!

Welcome aboard ccam... Wish I had a pool but they seem a bit of a waste here in Maine. Summer is a short season.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

My brother and his family are visiting so the time I'm obligated to spend with his family and my parents is making me a little squirrely. Huge family party tomorrow to add to the joy. I'm not wanting to drink but I am having to dig around in my toolbox for various ways to cope with feelings. Back to the basics was a great reminder as I feel like I'm having to wipe a little dust of my toolbox. Everything happens for a reason!
Old 07-31-2014, 09:36 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Dang it! I'm resigned to the fact that I will never, ever be shotgun! You sneaked it in while I was at the dentist. I'm off today because of the dentist. Yay! I tried to take tomorrow off too but that got a big fat NO. Nicely said, but still NO.

Waiting for husband to return with his sponsor to measure the kitchen out. I am getting closer to getting this done. I think too much on some things, not enough about others. And I am dang stubborn. Do not ever try to rush me or push me because I will fight. So when my husband discovered I was off today he planned my day for me with a list of kitchen things that need to get done. TODAY!!! He doesn't like my pondering. Ever see a dog with its hackles raised? Or a cat with all it's fur on end? That was me this morning.

But, that streak of fighting stubborn, which kept me from quitting drinking for too long also keeps me sober in tough spots.

Weasel, I love what you said about making today mean something and not merely something trapped between yesterday and tomorrow. If we don't, then tomorrow will be exactly like today. And like that Breck shampoo commercial from long ago "and so on, and so on, and so on."

I'm going to look at kitchen ideas. Then I will check back. And I will probably post some pics. I didn't get my fish pics on last week. Dang. Husband home. No more idle time just enjoying the breeze on the back porch.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

My weekend plans have been moving. today I decided to make them solid.
First of all I'd like to thank UltraDad for the inspiration to start the 'Whole30' program tomorrow. Missus and me is going to see 'Book Of Mormon" tomorrow night in Philly. The rest of the weekend will be fence painting here at the compound.
Was considering going to a concert (Kiss/Def Leppard) Sunday night. Not sure I want to go into a war zone for that. Then dealing with the drunks taking the ferry back to Philly. ugh. And I wouldn't even recognize a def leppard song if I heard it.
I skipped that whole era of "music". Hair Bands and Head Bangers. PASS

Good luck in NY Weasel. You are the man!
Old 07-31-2014, 10:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i want to get on the bus too please wont have internet over the weekend but i must do this! ( i posted earlier about my weekend worries)
how to keep on track with no internet????? will try to go to wifi hotspot that i know of but not the same as 24/7 internet.....x
Old 07-31-2014, 10:18 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Hi everyone! Weasel, thanks for the Weekender thread (again. as usual. old faithful).

Well Weasel and friends, this weekend I have to write a biographical paragraph of ME to share with a group of people who are to become colleagues. While scrubbing the bathtub I thought so much about the qualities I value in others. What defines me? Deep thinking this weekend for sure.

And Weasel, have you read any of Louise Penny's Inspector Gamache series? These days when I enter a situation loaded with memory or trepidation I ask myself "What would Inspector Gamache do?". Then I stand tall, find my inner Inspector Gamache and go forth with the curiosity of a newcomer who offers new eyes and insight on old situations. Also Weasel, remind yourself that the past, although part of you, does not define who you are today. Today is the first day of the rest of your life. What are you going to do with it? - once asked a very wise person.

*ring, ring* Yay Weekenders!! Glad to be among you.

Old 07-31-2014, 10:32 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Weekend is starting out well. Have had a running dispute with my boss on an issue about the future of this organization for the past 6 months. Had it resolved 100% in my favor this afternoon. I like being right more than I ever liked being drunk. (and I liked being drunk a lot!)

Having a houseguest for the weekend. A friend of my wife's. I suspect they'll be doing some wine sipping most evenings. Good for them, I suppose. I don't think it will bother me, but sometimes I get in a mood. I'll post here if that mood attacks.

Need some inside projects...looks like rain this weekend.

Also - that fox my dog killed tested positive for rabies. Dogs are fine, but we got them a booster vaccine just to be safe.
Old 07-31-2014, 10:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have a baseball game to play in. Which usually involves some beer after... Maybe I will grab some iced tea or root beer