Notices

Back to Basics sober Weekender Thread Aug 1-3

Old 07-31-2014, 10:45 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Well, I'm wrapping up my "weekend" today! My wife and I were both off yesterday, and we spent a relaxing day at home. I bought oysters and clams at our neighbor's shellfish farm--we had the oysters raw, then I steamed the clams and served them with pasta for dinner. Here's a picture of the shellfish farm:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
001.jpg (57.2 KB, 72 views)
Old 07-31-2014, 10:47 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Well, I'm wrapping up my "weekend" today! My wife and I were both off yesterday, and we spent a relaxing day at home. I bought oysters and clams at our neighbor's shellfish farm--we had the oysters raw, then I steamed the clams and served them with pasta for dinner. Here's a picture of the shellfish farm:
100% jealous. I used to live on the east coast and use to get all the seafood I wanted. Now not so lucky!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Signing in. Didn't make it last weekend and desperately need to this time around. I'm so exhausted being days and weeks sober and caving. Repeat.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

In baby!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:18 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders!!

This weekend I'll be working on Saturday, again, 6 days in a row this week, gonna have to get some serious coffee action on the go tomorrow morning!!

Few things to get organised this weekend, need to pick up a few parts for my car, it's in need of a service, and despite mentioning last weekend about my "shinny spanners", I think I'll take it to a proper mechanic to get the work done!!

Weekends for me were all about getting smashed on a Fri/Sat night and paying for it with severe hangovers, my weekends used to come and go in a haze, so much lost time, so much wasted opportunities and potential in my life.

I got Sober on a Saturday, it was the middle of the weekend, quite appropriate for the Weekender thread, the thoughts of freedom and potential, thinking about what a hangover free Sunday could bring was liberating, it was a scary thing, but taking control back of my life from alcohol, the 24hrs of each day could be mine once again, that was what weekends and every day for the rest of my life from that moment on could become!!

Let's do this Weekenders!!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:22 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm in! When I get off work tomorrow my vacation starts!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:23 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I'm nervous about this weekend. Have an old friend visiting and would love to relax with her and a beer. But I should focus on HER and not the absence of drink. I am going to hit two weeks and I can feel my AV saying "hey, you made it! have a sip of something cold and yummy and alcoholic." Its like I am almost bracing for it. Thanks for this thread. I plan to enjoy my friend, the outdoors, the weather, the summer, some sweets and be grateful for the changes I have made.
Old 07-31-2014, 11:47 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm in. Ring, ring!

I am feeling miserable physically. Switching antidepressants. My head is pounding. The thought of drinking makes me want to vomit! There's a fine mental image for you! Pretty basic, there!
Old 07-31-2014, 11:49 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

I've been hanging at the library. Lots of fascinating stuff there, of course.

Another thing I love to do is ride around on the city's bus system. I can easily visit all parts of town and not have to deal with moron drivers myself (in fact, I "lost" the car in the divorce process--the bus is my primary mode if a destination is too far to walk in reasonable time).
Old 07-31-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hey Weekenders, I'm in!

It was a great thread here last weekend, let's hope we can make it a good one again!

Good luck in NYC, Weasel, and thanks for starting the weekend thread.

Petals, hello to my fellow July classmate, glad you found us and hope you can check in on that wifi hotspot.

Weekends are not a particular trigger for me these days, although they would have been when I was younger.....in those days the Saturday night wine was essential. Still, I like to check in here anyway, lets use all the support out there.

I've just got a quiet weekend planned, no specific plans as yet.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:00 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Ken, I hope you have a nice, even weekend. You have grown and come a long way in these years. You are not the same man you were then. You are finer and stronger.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:26 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Originally Posted by jryan19982 View Post
I have a baseball game to play in. Which usually involves some beer after... Maybe I will grab some iced tea or root beer
Welcome to SR and welcome to the weekender team. You sound a little unsure. I would turn that maybe int a definite. The key for me is planning and sticking to an already thought through event. Like my going to NY. If I leave it willy nilly I tend to mess up.

Just a thought for you.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:27 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by longoverdue View Post
I'm nervous about this weekend. Have an old friend visiting and would love to relax with her and a beer. But I should focus on HER and not the absence of drink. I am going to hit two weeks and I can feel my AV saying "hey, you made it! have a sip of something cold and yummy and alcoholic." Its like I am almost bracing for it. Thanks for this thread. I plan to enjoy my friend, the outdoors, the weather, the summer, some sweets and be grateful for the changes I have made.

We are all rooting for you! Check in often to get a pep talk over the weekend.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Gilmer.... Thank you. I went back and read some of my old threads. I forgot how desperate I was and how things have changed. But going back to NY will be interesting. I plan to use it and not be used by it.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:32 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm back. Measured and discussed kitchen with husbands AA sponsor. It is nice working with him. I'm not so scared and overwhelmed because he broke it down into easy to digest pieces. I'm going to look at appliances in a second, by myself, and buy some spray paint for a small project I have and then relax for the rest of the day. Mor as much as the kids will let me.

Brain, you don't remember "pour some sugar on me"? Although that is probably the only def leopard song I could name and KISS is even worse.

Time to eat. I always put it off and that is bad!
Old 07-31-2014, 12:36 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Couldn't help myself Ruby!!

Old 07-31-2014, 04:01 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Hey everyone!!!!

Have a great evening! Getting ready to settle in for some tv.
Old 07-31-2014, 04:25 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Good morning whee! kenders! I'm in, it's Friday morning in Australia.

I remember how my weekends were planned around my hangovers, I couldn't do or book anything early/earlyish/before midday and even going out to lunch might be a bad deal if the hangover was really bad. Monday morning would be the worst of course, up at a "normal" time with a screaming head and a sick stomach.

These days the whole of the weekend is mine, it's a good way to "get through" the weekend, knowing that the whole 48 hours is yours to feel and be great in.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:19 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Thanks PK for that flash of nostalgia I felt. It also demonstrates the power of perseverance. The drummer lost his left arm in a car accident and there he is, up on stage, drumming away. If he can keep drumming, in front of thousands, we can stay sober if we just keep plugging away. Practicing what works and discarding or saving for later what doesn't, at this time.

Because tools that work today to keep us sober may not work next week, month, year. Always changing and finessing. Get the basics down and adjust as we go along. Ken, I know you can make this trip. You have it in you. And for those who saw the Lego movie, we are all "the special."

I'm done introspecting for the time being. Did hamburgers and frozen French fries (chips) for dinner. Time to do the dishes AGAIN. Sigh. Having to wash the dishes day in and day out, by hand, is really what is driving this project. I'm sick of it. I only wish they made automatic garbage taker outers. I can't remember the last time mr.Ruby did the dishes or took out the trash. He would, of course, blame that on my faulty memory.
Old 07-31-2014, 05:23 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I also want to say that this about the only Def Leppard song I remember. I wasn't a big hair band fan. Though my tastes are eclectic.