Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Calling all WEEKENDERS to the Weekend Menagerie Thread July 18-20

Notices

Calling all WEEKENDERS to the Weekend Menagerie Thread July 18-20

Old 07-17-2014, 05:47 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Beautiful AK!!!!!!!!

Olive.... I have a new postcard for you!

Night folks... Heading to bed.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:48 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

PK - thanks for responding to the call of duty. Keep the cats and dogs separated if you can.

What was I? I think a lone goldfish swimming in circles in a bowl.
What am I now? A salmon swimming upstream back to where I came from.
What do I want to be? An EAGLE - majestic, confident and respected. And no longer endangered.

Charliee - lucky 13, way to go.

Applekat - 2nd weekend - alone. Be your own master and take charge! You can do it.
Congrats on your first month this weekend Django - stay positive. And you too forgetfulkevin -mystical dragon?!

Vertey - you got your dog wish.

It's another early start to the weekend. I have a new mission. Mrs Brain said that rabbit is living in our turnips. Ahhh. I chased him away. Cutting grass tonight next to the turnips he gave me a heart attack jumping out of there. By the end of the weekend he will be living somewhere else.

Corn and idaho baker on grill - time now for some new york strip added to the heat.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:55 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Sorry I'm not sure how to make pics smaller haha!

I'm going to rock some lemon ice cream with raspberry swirls in a bit.

Checking out a new book first in the bubble bath.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:58 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Weasel, nice photos. Wish I was there. Maybe take a trip. hmmmmmm?
Old 07-17-2014, 06:04 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I'm in! This will be my second sober weekend in I cannot even recall how long. Day 7 tomorrow! I will answer the questions over the weekend, when I'll be filling the time with productive, sober activities. Yay!

Lisa.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:24 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
I'm Wide Awake

Brain - All I can picture is Peter Rabbit and you as Mr. McGregor chasing him out of the garden...

Welcome to all the new folks!

LTV -I can't wait to be an owl with you and Ruby - and Kevin joining us after he transforms from werecat to owl. I have a cool owl picture to post tomorrow.

Applekat - good luck with being the single parent. Mr. Charlee is in London for his sister's wedding and I am alone with the kids too. But, they are older so it's not like it used to be. I'll be thinking of you.

Ruby - hope you are enjoying a quiet night without the kids!

Weasel - love the pictures. Overflowing toilet not so much. hope that doesn't happen again.

Hello to everyone here. Hope the night is going well. It time for me to get into my Americone Dream...thank you Ben and Jerrys

Last edited by charleesavedme; 07-17-2014 at 06:25 PM. Reason: I can't spell
Old 07-17-2014, 06:34 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Hey Brain...rabbit's good on the grill, too. Just sayin'.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:51 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Yay on seven days Viking! That's great.

Husband still sleeping. Good thing I didn't really plan on a date night. I'm sitting in the darkened living room, listening to phineas and Ferb cartoons which I secretly laugh at, with a cat curled on the back of the sofa and another cat curled in a chair nearby. Who wanted to be a platypus? There's one on phineas and Ferb. And he's cool.

Husband up. Talking to AA guy who needs support. One thing about being married to another alcoholic. I never have to worry about my partner understanding what I'm going through.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Charlee, I'm having a good night. I also laughed because I was going to ask Brain if he found a tiny coat in the turnips.
Old 07-17-2014, 06:59 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

#2 Lisa! congrats on a week

Finished dinner. Salad, from our garden, and a steak dinner plus cut up watermelon. I eat late dinners now w/ wife and pack her lunch for work every night. Drink a cup of coffee and maybe watch something on netflix with a bowl of ice cream. Have to be at gym by 9A tomorrow for another hour of sweating on the bike. Set trap for Mr Rabbit.

Last edited by LBrain; 07-17-2014 at 07:03 PM. Reason: add
Old 07-17-2014, 07:35 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Im in for the weekend. ...still amazed how I enjoy them without drinking. Mainly thanks to you all. If I was a dog....my german Shepherd who protects me and in return I provide him with love, food, shelter and safety. We have a wonderful relationship.
Old 07-17-2014, 08:56 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

You know what is crazy making? Sorting socks in my house. I have almost an entire laundry basket filled with socks, none of which match any of the others. Sigh.
Old 07-17-2014, 10:14 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Ruby ,
I always buy at least 6 pairs of exactly the same socks , makes life a lot easier

Malcolm,
I'm glad you've identified a change in your behaviour ..and a few weeks before a long vacation .. keep your guard up, I always gave it plenty of time between making any changes to fully appreciate what i was doing , It's been great seeing you advance and grow into your sobriety , keep on

Everyone ,
friday is here , used to be a mad rush to get out of work , buy the drink at the supermarket and rush home … home by 6pm usually passed out by 9pm ..

Nowadays fridays are not a rush , the traffic doesn't upset me , I got no reason to rush home i put some good tunes on in the van , Overall the journey might take 5 mins longer tops … but now i'm not seeking escape , rushing for the chemical exit things are cool .

Ken , sorry to hear about your thunder hole, thunder box experience at least you weren't sat down eh ? chortle !

See you all later when i get home from work , m
Old 07-17-2014, 10:24 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

me!!!!!!
Old 07-18-2014, 03:01 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

"What do you imagine yourself to be when you finally emerge from your cocoon?" ~ LBrain

I emerge from my cocoon each morning I am given another... A lifecycle of a single day is all I can muster. And essentially all that is asked of me huh?

Recently I wake most mornings and say a simple sentence in my outside voice... "Thank you for this day."

To whom I say it to is inconsequential. My HP.... My AV...I don't know...but It sets the tone for the day I suppose.

Not something I used to say. But then I wasn't grateful back then for anything. I felt cursed. How long until my demon awakes? How long until it takes control. Those were the early days of when I realized I wanted to stop and couldn't.

Discovering I had an addictive voice was scary to me. How could I have this thing inside me stronger than I was? Until you try to stop you don't have an addictive voice you can identify. It's in the denial of it that it becomes real... Alive... Struggling for control.

I wake from my cocoon these days and release my addictive voice out into the world. I set it free to go play while I go live my life. I detach from it. It finds me everyday at the same times it always did but it gets no response from me. I am too busy.

I used to stop and acknowledge it and those were days I stumbled. Not in a long time.

So I wake. Give thanks. Release my AV and detach from it. And I live my life.
Old 07-18-2014, 03:50 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Ruby, my husband, amazingly, rarely loses his white socks. As soon as he buys them, he marks the date on them in permanent marker. That way, he always knows what matches what. He's still got some perfectly good socks from '02!

At one point (with 5 kids) I had a whole laundry basket full of odd socks. I dutifully kept waiting for the mates. Finally one day I just dumped the whole thing in the trash and set myself free!
Old 07-18-2014, 04:33 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I'm in. Commited to my second sober weekend.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:51 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

There is definitely a certain freedom to finally dumping those lonely mismatched socks that you've been holding on to for months (years!).

Maybe I should check Pinterest for creative uses for lonely socks.
Old 07-18-2014, 04:53 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
You know what is crazy making? Sorting socks in my house. I have almost an entire laundry basket filled with socks, none of which match any of the others. Sigh.
you need to find the other basket

saoirse - second weekend! woo-hoo

welcome to the weekend CNGY!

GREAT ANSWER WEASEL
Old 07-18-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Good morning! Trying to wake up. Weasel, thanks for that. It was a good reminder that I need to slow down and make each day count and enjoy what it holds instead of always projecting forward, thinking that there will be some magical day in the future where it all comes together and rushing blindly towards that without seeing what's along the way.

Socks. Thanks everyone. I've contemplated just dumping them all and starting over but the thought that maybe there is a hidden second basket stops me. Pinterest projects is a great idea. I was kidding with another woman at work that we could make rag rugs out of the socks. M's suggestion is a good one but I've got four people with four different feet sizes.

Not much quiet time here. Husband is hammering away at the back porch. He has turned a simple painting the back porch project into a whole home remodel. Well, kidding on that but it is getting so involved it's making my head hurt. The porch looks like crap anyway. He should have reconstructed the railings but if I mention that now he will bite my head off. And now our neighbor is involved in the project. He does home remodeling. But is louder than a crowd.

Time to get kids lunches ready. I told my mom I would do that and take the kids to camp. Have a great day everyone!