Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Calling all WEEKENDERS to the Weekend Menagerie Thread July 18-20

Notices

Calling all WEEKENDERS to the Weekend Menagerie Thread July 18-20

Old 07-17-2014, 01:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Ruby and Charlee - I third the owl! We could HOO-HOO the night away

ForgetfulKevin - I did not have a chance to respond to your thread yesterday but cannot tell you how happy I am to see you here Would not be the same here without you.

Sparky - I imagine that as a Pomeranian you would be carried around in a Gold Bling covered carrier. Thanks for the belly roll laugh on the lab dog visual. Hah!

Olive - Want to go run through the fields together?

Yeah Weasel, a toilet that overfloweth...not nice.

Have to run but so happy to see all you Weekenders already. Check-in later.

Old 07-17-2014, 02:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I'm in. Could be weekend #2 (in a row anyway).

Pondering your questions.

Again this Sunday starts a 5 day business trip for hubby and being on my own with the kids is always a big trigger. Deep breaths.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:14 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by LeTheVerte View Post
Hah Ha! Nonsensical...you would definitely not be a pig in any of your lifetimes
True.
Pigs can turn vegetables into bacon. There'd be no stopping me if I had that kind of magical power.
Old 07-17-2014, 02:18 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Deep breaths, Applekat, you can do it! For me, when I thought my husband wouldn't be around, I had bad thoughts of "no one will know." But, I would know and being a solo parent with a hangover is pretty intolerable. We are here for you!
Old 07-17-2014, 03:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

"How about a fox. Not the biggest animal, but pretty darn smart, and one that knows how to stay out of trouble"

What does the fox say?
Old 07-17-2014, 03:09 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm in baby!

So what's next weekend's thread gonna be....let me guess....if life was a bowl of vegetable soup what vegetable would you be???
Old 07-17-2014, 03:15 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thanks, Ruby! I made it through the same 5 day trip in June so here's hoping!

It's just that typical exhaustion of a full day with two little ones, successful day and bedtime accomplished (both kids are fed and alive ) and you feel maybe I deserve a "reward".

I just need to replace the reward.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:24 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

If I could come back as a dog, it would be a Pomeranian. I get carried around, patted, babied, and spoiled, plus I get to bark at anything I want. I also get to ride in the front seat

I adopted a 4 year old Pom when I was 3 months sober (he is reprimanded for barking btw, a la Caesar's rules)....Sammy had a difficult start in life, purchased by some idiots who did not take care of him, care enough to neuter him or housebreak him...He has a fear of newspapers, magazines and tricycles drive him to growl. he hates other dogs, but loves the cats. with my newfound sober patience, I crate trained him to be housebroken, he is walked for miles every day and well loved. he is the darling of the grooming salon because he does yoga poses and loves his bath. Sammy is a bigger Pom, he weighs between 13-15# but he's a great dog, the worst thing he does is push the pillows off the bed and hog the covers.....before he jumps off the tempur-pedic and goes to his crate where he prefers to sleep with no cats bothering him. I m trying not to give him too many treats and smaller meals he needs to lose 2-3 lbs...I worry he might have a touch or arthritis.

I don't like the feathered ones so much, except of course fried chicken or soup. my cats are wonderful too, I would like to be a cat because they never have insomnia!
Old 07-17-2014, 03:41 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This will be my first weekend (in a long time) sober! I plan on spending both days at the beach with my kids. *without* 2-3 bottles of wine

Hmm if I was a dog I dont know what breed I'd be?.. and I definitely wouldnt wana be cat, but being a tiger wouldnt be bad!

If I was a bird I'd want to be a blue macaw, like the ones in Rio.

My drunk animal? Ugh. Thats gona take some thought. When I think of it I'll remind everyone to never get one as a pet. Lol.

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!!
Old 07-17-2014, 04:12 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Another week sober.

I would come back as a Labradoodle dog. Yes, I know it's a made-up name for a mix breed. I wouldn't shed. Everyone would hug me because I'm so darn precious. I would be the happy-go-lucky of the family.

Then next life I would be an Osprey. I am a hard worker. I dive and fish, and build these really cool nests in high places. I am beautiful and strong and I can hover!

Did I understand the theme, here?

Nice job Brain, hello to the vacationing Ken, and Happy Weekend, all.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm in which will mark a month. Although keeping it short and sweet, I would be lying if I said I haven't thought about drinking this weekend.
Old 07-17-2014, 04:13 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hi everyone, I'm in for another sober weekend. I have not been around SR of late but I'm doing fine. We have some family coming into town this weekend,in-laws. Now that I think of it, I used to drink a lot when the in-laws were around. I get uncomfortable around them. Last October, with a big gathering at our house, was when I found myself hiding drinks around the house so no one could tell I was drinking so much. Dang, I hadn't realized all this till I started writing here. I guess it's good that my mind had not even thought of drinking until I reflected on the last time they were here? But I'll be fine.

On a different note, I have one more week of work until my 3 week vacation! Can't wait!

Sorry, I don't have any animal ideas. A platypus?

Have a good clean weekend everyone.
-onward!
Old 07-17-2014, 04:17 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

LBrain, thanks for coming up with the theme and starting the thread for this weekend!

Dog: not much of a dog person so I'll go with wolf

Bird: maybe instead of the dog I'd come back as a werecat who can change into an owl* -- at home in both bookstores and the woods

*or maybe an osprey, to keep an eye on things

Addicted animal: hamster, huddled in the same corner of his cage every night

Animal of transformation: some kind of mystical dragon
Old 07-17-2014, 04:35 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

A special message to Django and forgetfulkevin.... I think of drinking everyday... Sitting on this balcony hearing the music of neighbors.... Smelling the pot being smoked...

But like you I am here. We hit bumps... Times... I don't want to give up when I have. I can't. I won't.

Keep making that choice. It's not in the moment I appreciate it... It's when I get up in the early morning to see the next day that I will really feel alive. For real.

Ken
Old 07-17-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

A schooner was passing by....

Old 07-17-2014, 05:01 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Applekat, my reward at the end of the day now is ice cream and getting on here without my kids yelling "mommy, mommy, mommy" every two seconds. And did I say "ice cream"? I can't stress enough how much I rely on ice cream to get through a lot of things.

Django, I still think of drinking. I would be lying if I said I didn't. Some days it's harder to say shut up to that little voice but I do anyway. I was stubborn about quitting and now I am stubborn about letting go of sobriety. I guess that's one "defect of character" that sometimes works in my favor.

Malcolmsloan, I think it's good that you processed all of that thinking about the in laws here. Now that you have put voice to the trigger you can confront it. My mother in law is a huge trigger. She just ratchets up my anxiety. I try to limit my time with her. If she is visiting I tend to have things to do in other parts of the house.

Ready2besober, we are here for you and have fun at the beach. Drink lots of water.

Home from work. Kids at my parents'. Husband sleeping. Very quiet. Twiddling my thumbs,really.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:04 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
A special message to Django and forgetfulkevin.... I think of drinking everyday... Sitting on this balcony hearing the music of neighbors.... Smelling the pot being smoked...

But like you I am here. We hit bumps... Times... I don't want to give up when I have. I can't. I won't.

Keep making that choice. It's not in the moment I appreciate it... It's when I get up in the early morning to see the next day that I will really feel alive. For real.

Ken
I hear you Ken. I'm just having a battle with my mind at the moment. Just learning to live life without it which I've never done before. I'm doing ok though, every time the thought pops up I think 'well I have to do this first then maybe I can but until then it can't happen' It seems to be working for now, nut when I've accomplished everything that's when the real test comes and its nearly there.

The other thing is dating. I'm going to be going on a few dates soon and I don't really know how to handle it.
Old 07-17-2014, 05:33 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Another gratuitous picture from my balcony!

Old 07-17-2014, 05:36 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Alright Weasel! Now I def want to go back there!
Old 07-17-2014, 05:42 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Jordan Pond/Bubbles 2007
Do you walk that or hike those?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (87.5 KB, 47 views)