Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Calling all WEEKENDERS to the Weekend Menagerie Thread July 18-20

Notices

Calling all WEEKENDERS to the Weekend Menagerie Thread July 18-20

Old 07-21-2014, 05:20 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Hi Friends, I got news for you all, I DID IT!

Went through the weekend completely sober, only smoke a few cigarrettes during the saturday night but the rest was ok. I went out with my friends, when to a BBQ party, did excercise, everything went as expected, I'm again at work and feel completely rested and ready for a new week unlike past times.

I feel I don't have to fight anymore, my body needs soberty, my mind needs soberty, I feel great while not drinking, everyone was drinking in front of me and I did not feel urge to drink for a second.

A lot of friends, even those who drink, were encoraging me to continue, they now how important it is for me, even at the end of sunday, when I was going to have a glass of wine to "comemorate" (probably the only moment of weakness during the weekend) one of my best friends stopped me and make me think about it.

Let's go strong for another week and from now on, we can do this!
Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Originally Posted by Oldselfagain View Post
Those fargin sneaky bastiges! Lol
Johnny Dangerously! "You farging iceholes are wiolating my farging rights"

Congrats to all the first time weekenders.

PD - just remember, rewarding yourself with a drink for not drinking is like rewarding yourself with a smoke for quitting smoking.

Most important drink to avoid is the first one. Glad you had a buddy help you when you needed it.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:47 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Yay! That was an encouraging read.

I made it through last week, and the weekend, without touching a drop. Not having a hangover on Saturday and Sunday actually felt great. Not feeling quite so stupid today at work is nice as well.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:51 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JD4010 View Post
Yay! That was an encouraging read.

I made it through last week, and the weekend, without touching a drop. Not having a hangover on Saturday and Sunday actually felt great. Not feeling quite so stupid today at work is nice as well.
It was amazing not to wake up with a hangover, this was probably the best wekend in my existence.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:54 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SparkyMcSparky View Post
Johnny Dangerously! "You farging iceholes are wiolating my farging rights"

Congrats to all the first time weekenders.

PD - just remember, rewarding yourself with a drink for not drinking is like rewarding yourself with a smoke for quitting smoking.

Most important drink to avoid is the first one. Glad you had a buddy help you when you needed it.
And this was a friend who drinks a lot and normally drinks with me, I went to a BBQ of his yesterday, I was fearing I was going to be rejected by not drinking but the feedback I had from him was amazing, when I went for the glass of wine he told me "what would be the point of staying sober the whole weekend if you are going to ruin everything in the last moment, you already when through the most difficult part and you are going to give up at the end of the day".

It was a huge relief to hear that, that was really a moment where you know who are your true friends.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:55 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  

Ya. The lack of a hangover is such a wonderful feeling. Joyous, even.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:04 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  
Working-cl*** pseudo tough

Originally Posted by MrPhilDuck View Post
And this was a friend who drinks a lot and normally drinks with me, I went to a BBQ of his yesterday, I was fearing I was going to be rejected by not drinking but the feedback I had from him was amazing, when I went for the glass of wine he told me "what would be the point of staying sober the whole weekend if you are going to ruin everything in the last moment, you already when through the most difficult part and you are going to give up at the end of the day".

It was a huge relief to hear that, that was really a moment where you know who are your true friends.
Something interesting for me was that I saw a bunch of friends and acquaintances who were in the process of drinking (some further along than others), and most were surprised to hear I quit drinking, as none felt I had a problem. When they asked why, I explained the not knowing when not to start/being unable to stop concept.

Amazing how many of them got a funny look and got real quiet when I explained this to them.

A couple even asked if I thought they had a drinking problem. I suggested they quit drinking for one week. If they were unable to do so, then I told them to give me a call.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:09 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Yeah, some people also gave me the "why dont' you just have one beer" or the "you just have to peace yourself" or the "yeah is ok to stop one weekend" (they don't believe this a compromise of mine for the rest of my life) but the majority of friends of mine where really supportive and glad I was not drinking.

It shows the level of degradation I was when all the people around you were glad to have you sober.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

When your heavy drinking friends encourage your abstinence, it means just one thing: Less competition at the keg for them.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:49 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Well done everyone and some great posts.

As for 'friends' who encourage you to have a couple,

Don' let those fargin iceholes get in the way of your sobriety. Those lousy cork-soakers. Dis alcohol is one tough somanumbatch!