Notices

July 4th Holiday Wee!kender Thread! Movie Quotes Fun!

Old 07-05-2014, 11:06 AM
  # 221 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Tell Victor that Ramon - -the fella he met about a week ago? - -tell him that Ramon went to the clinic today, and I found out that I have, um, herpes simplex 10, and I think Victor should go check himself out with his physician to make sure everything is fine before things start falling off on the man.
Old 07-05-2014, 11:15 AM
  # 222 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

LB... Thanks for clarifying... This thread is about being sober for a weekend. That does trump everything else. This thread also shows that people can have fun being sober...

Sober does not = somber

Make good choices today... Even when you can't see through the dense fog to tomorrow. A simple leap of faith into the arms of those that have been there.
Old 07-05-2014, 12:16 PM
  # 223 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Dear Weekenders,

I am about to head out to a dinner function. My plan:

*Rely on my super charm and engage others in conversation.
*Enjoy those present.
*Two ears, one mouth.
*Listen and SLOOOOOOOW it down. Just chill.
*Of course it is OK if I am the only non-drinker or choose not to taste vintage number such and such.
*Remember to keep your eyes on the other person's eyes...but not too much so as to be creepy. Do not fixate on anything such as a bottle.
*Focus.

Now, a final touch of perfume, swipe of lipstick...let's go out there and get 'em!

Break!!

Thanks for the pep-talk everyone. I'll report back after with the results

Hope your day is as gorgeous and sunny as mine has been.

Old 07-05-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 224 (permalink)  

Another thread made me think of this.

While answering questions for a form: "Sex?" "Yes please."
Old 07-05-2014, 01:10 PM
  # 225 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

I went for a walk today and picked some wild flowers and put them in a little vase in my room. I don't like to pick flowers often but when I do, I only pick a small amount. I feel like I'm interrupting their nice little life they're having. I swear I'm not a hippie.

Hope all are having a nice weekend !

BigSombrero, I am soooo jealous !
Old 07-05-2014, 01:12 PM
  # 226 (permalink)  

"Yippee ki-yay, motherf'ker!!"

Yeah, that one didn't have any deep meaning to it like all my last quotes, I just think it was a pretty cool quote!!

How we all doing Weekenders? . . . for all newcomers, keep posting, Saturday evenings used to be quite a trigger but the Weekender thread kept me sane, even though it can get pretty insane around here sometimes!!

Was off work today so been taking things pretty easy all day, did some jobs over at my mum's house this afternoon, clearing out her roof space took many hours of box shifting, my arms will be hurting tomorrow no doubt!!

This evening I'm settled in watching the World Cup quarterfinals, plenty of green tea on hand!!
Old 07-05-2014, 03:32 PM
  # 227 (permalink)  

No wire coat hangers!
Old 07-05-2014, 03:34 PM
  # 228 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Originally Posted by cardoon View Post
No wire coat hangers!
EVER!!!

Old 07-05-2014, 03:36 PM
  # 229 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

"I'm mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!!"

Old 07-05-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 230 (permalink)  

My day was full of errands, grocery shopping, walking in the woods, eating tiny blackberries, and entertaining friends. I'm beat. I drove to where I thought Skyline Caverns was, but I must have made a miscalculation. I will try again tomorrow. I don't think they allow you to take your own pics inside the caverns, but I will be sure to send Olive whatever postcards I can get!
Old 07-05-2014, 05:57 PM
  # 231 (permalink)  
Nathan Thurm fan

"I coulda been a contender. I coulda been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am." Awesome movie.
Old 07-05-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 232 (permalink)  

What business is it of yours where I'm from, "Friendo"?

From the awesome "Coin Toss" scene in No Country for Old Men. Anton Chigurh is one cold-blooded Mo-Fo!
Old 07-05-2014, 06:18 PM
  # 233 (permalink)  

Always like this one from the movie SIGNS.

Graham Hess:

"People break down into two groups. When they experience something lucky, group number one sees it as more than luck, more than coincidence. They see it as a sign, evidence, that there is someone up there, watching out for them. Group number two sees it as just pure luck. Just a happy turn of chance. I'm sure the people in group number two are looking at those fourteen lights in a very suspicious way. For them, the situation is a fifty-fifty. Could be bad, could be good. But deep down, they feel that whatever happens, they're on their own. And that fills them with fear. Yeah, there are those people. But there's a whole lot of people in group number one. When they see those fourteen lights, they're looking at a miracle. And deep down, they feel that whatever's going to happen, there will be someone there to help them. And that fills them with hope. See what you have to ask yourself is what kind of person are you? Are you the kind that sees signs, that sees miracles? Or do you believe that people just get lucky? Or, look at the question this way: Is it possible that there are no coincidences?"
Old 07-05-2014, 06:25 PM
  # 234 (permalink)  

This one's for the ladies and for anyone who likes Bob Seger!!

Old 07-05-2014, 06:57 PM
  # 235 (permalink)  
pray for strength

Ok. Made it.

Back from the dinner function. It was so interesting to know with absolute certainty that nothing about the myriad of subjects touched upon would have been made easier, better, more tolerable with alcohol in the mix. Most likely I would have laughed a little too hard, talked a little too much and then returned home to continue drinking as a party of one. Sadder inside for having pretended that I enjoyed things that in reality I did not. What I was able to do tonight was drink great fizzy water, listen to people for the sake of listening and actually really enjoyed this. Sober. No conflicts. No drama.

Now I am going to watch Any Given Sunday...I need the outlet. It just started playing. The opening quote by Vince Lombardi is pretty spectacular so I will write it. But first, anyone who has watched the Packers play at Lambeau Field will surely attest to the fact that it is a pretty incredible space and a pretty special experience, hey?

Thanks Weekenders. I do not know what I would do with out you all to keep me company on this sober journey.

BigSombero - please post as many pics as possible. Pretty awe-inspiring. Sounds like an incredible place where you are.

Cardoon and Suki - I'm not sure where that movie quote is from but I agree that wire coat hangers are all sorts of baaaad.

Here is that Lombardi quote (and thanks PK for reminding me that this movie is a good one) and yes, this is now on my refrigerator:

"I firmly believe that any man's finest hour - his greatest fulfillment to all he holds dear is that moment when he has worked his heart out in a good cause and lies exhausted on the field of battle - victorious"

Old 07-05-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 236 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Cardoon and Suki - I'm not sure where that movie quote is from but I agree that wire coat hangers are all sorts of baaaad.
It's from the movie Mommie Dearest, based on a book about Joan Crawford, written by her adopted daughter, Christina.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:04 PM
  # 237 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Well, here's the view from my balcony that I promised. Just moved into my new house yesterday, and while the fireplace, loft, and in-unit washer and dryer were nice....this is what really convinced me to rent this place long-term. I wouldn't be here without my sobriety...what a difference 2 years makes!

ARENAL!

Yes?

You need company? I can stow away in the landing gear of a non stop to San Jose. I spent a few months there one year, working.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 238 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Not Arenal? Guatemala? It's a twin to Arenal in Costa Rica. sorry, I'm catching up reading backwards from about ten pages past.
Old 07-05-2014, 07:20 PM
  # 239 (permalink)  

Haha, yep you got it.

This is the "Agua" volcano, long dormant. However, I can also see "Fuego" volcano (and it's active billowing smoke) from this location as well, tomorrow I will see if I can get a picture if indeed it's puffing away - it has been for the past few days.

It does look extremely similar to Arenal, though, having just looked at a few photos my friends took last year.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:25 PM
  # 240 (permalink)  

Good evening/night everyone! LTV I love your spirit. I love your observation - returning home and continuing to drink as a party of one. Every night of the week for me for far too long. Wasn't much of a party. I'm unwinding listening to Phineas and Ferb. I love dr. Doofenschmirtz.

Today was busy and not busy. I did a little of everything, except cooking and laundry. Should have done that since it's supposed to be in the nineties tomorrow and I hate to heat up the kitchen with the cooking. Maybe a pasta salad.

My daughter was angry with me because I asked her to pick up after herself and chided her when she wouldn't. She told me that she was going to walk away from home. I guess running takes too much energy. She walked out, slammed the back door and strolled out the gate and down the block. I followed her around the block and then carried her home when she stubbed her toe and started crying. Being six is tough. I'm hoping she doesn't start running away when she gets older.

I am going to wrap it up here for the night. And hope no one calls the house at 8:30 tomorrow.