Notices

Somewhat New and Fell Off

Old 07-07-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Somewhat New and Fell Off

Hello everyone! So I'm a lurker who has been around because I have been thinking of quitting drinking. I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic as I can live without it but I mostly drink when I'm bored during the weekends. My problem is when I do drink I drink A LOT. Perhaps I am an alcoholic or borderline. Whichever you choose to use I suppose. Anyways I do on occasion drink during the week. Maybe 2 or 3 times on a weekday and that's maybe 3 or 4 beers when I do. The reason I want to quit it all though is because even with those 3 or 4 beers I don't feel as well in the morning and during the next day as I do when I don't drink at all. Its a fantastic feeling when I don't drink. I have done this since I was 21 (I'm 29 now) and just want to be done. I also notice my energy level soars when I don't drink for a few days.

Anyways I went 4 days completely sober and tonight I fell off the horse. I plan on getting the horse back on its feet and continue riding. Hopefully I can go longer this time. I don't need to drink because I'm bored and can find something to entertain me other than drinking. I feel I can do this.

Anyways I'm sorry for rambling here. I just wanted to share some of my story with you all and introduce myself. Hopefully I can also be of help with some others.

Thanks for reading!!
Old 07-07-2014, 10:29 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to the posting side of things Shawn
I think you get a lot of good feedback this way

D
Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Hi Shawn - Glad you are here - I've found this a great support for me here
Old 07-07-2014, 10:35 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Phoenix Rising Again

Welcome to SR, Shawn!

I don't think it matters what label you put to it. You have to evaluate how it's impacting your life and whether or not you think you'd be better off without it.

Glad you're here!
Old 07-08-2014, 12:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Welcome Shawn! Nice to see lurkers come out and post. You will get lots of support here .
Old 07-08-2014, 01:43 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum Shawn!!
Old 07-08-2014, 02:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sounds a lot like myself when I first wanted to quit , the first few weeks are not the easiest , take it day at a time , never say u will never drink again as it's to overwhelming , set yourself a goal to start a hobbie something you are passionate about , you have to fill your void time , this is when you probably drink , doing this helps a massive amount ,
Coming on here is a massive start you will get a lot of support aNd help , you can do it
Old 07-08-2014, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Shawn! I wish I had been as mindful of my alcohol consumption at an earlier age as you are doing now. It's how it impacts you and not the label as Aarrryhcka said.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome. Im not sure if the label of being something matters. The point is that your tired of being tired. I get it. We have all experienced this. I hope you find this forum to be a great resource.
Old 07-08-2014, 06:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome Shawn, glad to see a fellow PA'er on here. As you might know we here in Pittsburgh live in a "drinking city with a football problem" Lots of opportunities to find recovery when you're in this State. I can help link you to some resources if you decide you want to look into some support. You sound a lot like I did - except I not only felt bad from drinking but developed a pretty terrible anxiety disorder (that has since left with a few years sober...)

It's a great decision you've made and if you need any help feel free to PM me.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:10 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shawn4233 View Post
. I wouldn't say I'm an alcoholic as I can live without it
Well then ....let's get on with the business of living without it. I prefer to look at my drinking as an addiction. When I am unable to give up a detrimental behaviour that I really want to, when I try and keep failing...
Addiction is present.
All I need to know. I don't need to get lost in whether I am an alcoholic, a heavy drinker, a binger, a party girl.

I'm an addict.

Welcome.
Old 07-08-2014, 11:24 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Climber122 View Post
Welcome Shawn, glad to see a fellow PA'er on here. As you might know we here in Pittsburgh live in a "drinking city with a football problem" Lots of opportunities to find recovery when you're in this State. I can help link you to some resources if you decide you want to look into some support. You sound a lot like I did - except I not only felt bad from drinking but developed a pretty terrible anxiety disorder (that has since left with a few years sober...)

It's a great decision you've made and if you need any help feel free to PM me.
Thank you and thank you everyone! I'm originally from about 60 miles north of Pittsburgh and went to college in Pittsburgh (Go Steelers). I appreciate all the help from you and everyone. Thank you so much for the warm welcome all! Things are going great here so far!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:51 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

No booze and new meds are making me dyslexic. I read the title as "Something new fell off"

Welcome!
Old 07-08-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome! :-)

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 07-09-2014, 04:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm sitting here in the parking lot on day 2. Feeling pretty good and ready to go in. I wish all those who are trying today the best of luck!! Your better than any poison and remember when it gets tough and it hurts, pain is the price we pay for anything that's precious.