Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Bachelor party with booze + possibly drugs coming up... How do I go about this?

Notices

Bachelor party with booze + possibly drugs coming up... How do I go about this?

Old 05-19-2014, 01:20 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  

^I've been finding that too Scott.

Going to a function where some are drinking, some aren't, but that's not really the central point of the function is pretty tolerable from time to time. Hanging out places where the primary activity is drinking and I'm among the very very few not drinking.... doesnt' take long to feel like I'm spending my life in a way that I really don't want to.

That, or start feeling a little bit sorry for myself....

dangerous ground.
Old 05-19-2014, 01:34 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  

Healthfirst: way to go dude! Just remember, this was the first test. You prepared yourself well for this event - you had a whole week to psyche yourself up to say NO. Don't let you guard down. Mr A shows up when you least expect him.
Carry on.
Old 05-19-2014, 02:08 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

To my surprise, they left me alone the whole day
That's the way it is most of the time. Most folks just don't care if you drink or not.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:04 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I'm glad you made it through and if nothing more even the posts that wrangled you a little, didn't they help to make you more determined?

Good to hear that you had a semi good time.
Old 05-19-2014, 04:07 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad it all went ok HF

D
Old 05-19-2014, 07:52 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
One thing I'm curious about is if you think you'll ever attempt something like that again. I went back to the brewpub I drank at every day after work about 4 weeks into my sobriety and drank non-alcoholic drinks with my old buds just to prove to myself that I could do it - and I did. But it got old pretty quick - it was very clear that not drinking amongst those who are drinking really wasn't for me. I have since found lots of other things to do that are much more worthwhile.

Anyway, congrats again and hope you have a bit more "normal" week to catch up on your rest and sobriety.
Thanks - I actually had this conversation with someone today. I would NOT go to these types of events if it is not for an occasion (wedding, bachelor party, a big game on TV, etc.). Things like going to the pool surrounded by over 1,000 drunk people is not fun, but worth the suffering if it means something to a close friend on a special occasion. I do foresee losing some friends as a result of sobriety and that's okay. I couldn't believe how good I felt on a Monday at work after a "rough" weekend!