Notices

my friend is back. I missed him or her.

Old 05-17-2014, 04:24 PM
  # 121 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by Weaver View Post
While insinuating he/she wasn't supportive. Subtle.
You got a bone to pick with me Weaver? Bring it on in PM.
Old 05-17-2014, 04:54 PM
  # 122 (permalink)  
Administrator

Guys, I am so not in the mood for more refereeing today.

Address your posts to the OP, take the other stuff to PM....

thanks
D
Old 05-17-2014, 06:14 PM
  # 123 (permalink)  

I don't know if this will help or not. But I have a metaphor about our "old friend".

Have you ever seen one of those movies where a bunch of high schoolers are having a party, and then some old, balding guy comes by the party in his letter jacket? Turns out he was the QB on the high school football team. He was idolized back in the day. So he shows up at the party and thinks he's going to hang with the cool kids and score all the high school chicks. But of course this does not happen. Instead, he makes a total fool of himself.

I don't know about you, but while I had some great times in high school, I never step foot in high schools anymore, or try to hang out with high schoolers. Those days are over.

I think about those good ol' days of drinking that same way. I had some great times drinking with my friends in college and in my early 20s. Whenever I think about how much I enjoy alcohol, I invariably think about one of those times. But like high school, those days are over, and whenever I try to meet with my "old friend", it never works out the way I think it should. It turns out that the only place I can get those days back is in my memories. I have a new life now, with more important priorities.

For those struggling to come to grips with the way things are now compared to the way things were then, I hope that you'll think about this for a while, and maybe agree with me. It kinda sucks, granted. But at least I don't have to study for high school algebra tests anymore.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:35 PM
  # 124 (permalink)  

IMO this thread should be removed, hidden, or archived. It does no good to have a post of somebody who has caved and given up. Though the responses are nice they're not worth the risk of others reading the initial post and letting it influence them.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:42 PM
  # 125 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Guys, I am so not in the mood for more refereeing today.

Address your posts to the OP, take the other stuff to PM....

thanks
D

Noted. My apologies.
Old 05-17-2014, 06:44 PM
  # 126 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think the responses in this thread are of great value actually Cahabr.

There's so much good stuff against the idea of drinking, and such strong recovery in evidence here, that if anyone does drink over this thread I think it will be in spite of the thread, not because of it.

D
Old 05-17-2014, 06:52 PM
  # 127 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think the responses in this thread are of great value
I agree. Early sobriety can be a struggle. I think newcomers should know that coming in so they can be better prepared for it.
Old 05-17-2014, 08:06 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  

I was actually appalled at the response I got back on #83 I think it was. Dee, I'm sure I am very qualified to give the response I did. 2much was being bullied the way I saw it, and the basic premise of any counseling would let you know to never blame, or take the blame,for someone else taking that first drink because of something someone said/
Old 05-17-2014, 08:36 PM
  # 129 (permalink)  
Administrator

seeing as we can't seem to keep off the topic of responses rather than the OP, we're done here.

I hope 2much will start a new thread.

Thanks everyone

D