Notices

I'm an alcoholic.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:32 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Congratulations on reaching out to your parents and getting help. SR is a great place to talk to people who understand what you're going through. Welcome.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:38 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

DJ - you are brave and courageous beyond measure. What you did by telling your parents was a leap of faith and a huge step in saving yourself. You should be so proud of you.

You can do this. We will help.

Be well dear one.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:21 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thank you all

Thank you all for your kind words. Its been 16 hours since I had a drink. Waves of anxiety and panic have flown over me all day, but in the grand scheme of things its a good sign. No tremors, no uncontrollable shaking, I can still think and type clearly, and have not thrown up at all today (sorry to be so graphic, but things like this arent pretty). Alcohol withdrawl can be a very serious thing, but often times the worst cases come on after just a few hours. Every hour I can make is a positive sign.

I have not slept for 20 hours now, and have a headache which is caused by my strained eyes (eye close them, it goes away- see what I did there!). Havent eaten much, but did not want to flood my injured stomach with too much yet. My goal is to increase it again tomorrow.

I will keep posting on this as as I go through it. For those of you that are religious, I would appreciate your prayers. Even though it may not be appropriate to ask for prayers for yourself!
Old 02-01-2014, 10:38 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR DJ. How are you doing?
Old 02-01-2014, 10:43 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hi DJ. I'm new here too, so I don't have much to offer. But I wanted to say I think its great that you asked for help, what a huge step! And I also wanted to say that you are not alone in this fight. Try to rest, try to eat, and hang in there.
Old 02-01-2014, 10:50 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, great to be here. I am actually going to go try and rest right now. Tomorrow is a big day, the 24 hour point is a huge hurdle.
Old 02-01-2014, 11:04 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Hi DJ I just read your posts and my heart went out to you. You are so brave. just take life minute by minute, step by step for the time being until you start to heal. I am not a religious but a spiritual soul so I am sending you all my positive and healing thoughts. Rest, and let us know how you are x
Old 02-01-2014, 11:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
getting there

Welcome, DJ! Telling people in my real life about my problem was the thing that made the difference for me, and I hope it will work the same way for you. I'm looking forward to hearing more from you.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:56 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Them first 48 hours are horrible, and the headaches i have, had them since day 3. Rest up and keep it going!
Old 02-02-2014, 04:41 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Welcome and good luck DJ. This place is full of support and wonderful people. Stick around.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

hope you're doing well dj.... if you're open to it and you can, I encourage you to get to an AA meeting.

Having community and face-to-face, understanding support is a huge help.

There's nothing to lose, and your life to gain.

We'll be here, too.

Old 02-02-2014, 06:45 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Welome, DJ. When I finally decided to get help for myself I needed to tell my parents and go to the hospital, too. Don't worry about being too graphic... I think we've all been there where we see our bodies giving us signs that we're killing ourselves. They're part of the wake up call themselves. While I've slipped up since that big detox, having asked for real help and officially not wanting to drink anymore was a huge turning point in my life and it sounds like it could be one for you, too.
Old 02-02-2014, 06:54 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by djfisher34 View Post

As I sit here, I have alcohol in my system, that I have consumed to eliminate the shakes I had from the fifth that I drank yesterday. I am slated to be at work in an hour, but have called in as I am in no position to work. Not good, I know. I called in yesterday as well, and have way too many times to count over the past 6 years.
all the signs are there for you to see clearly
life as you wish to know it is slipping away
I have seen many of my friends at work in this same condition
things really went downhill fast once they were fired from their jobs

hold on while you still have something to hold on to

Mountainman
Old 02-02-2014, 06:59 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks again all. Last night was a rough night. I got a couple of hours of sleep (if even that). When I closed my eyes I saw things that made no sense, people I didnt even know, etc. When I opened my eyes it went away. Whenever I felt close to sleep, I would have a single jerk that stopped that progress. Was not a seizure, I have seen those before. This went on for hours. When I calmed myself and focused the jerks would not happen, but my mind was racing nonetheless. I did not give in. It has been 25 hours since my last drink, and am not doing too bad right now. What a rough night... but I got through it.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:04 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

one becomes very grateful

Originally Posted by djfisher34 View Post

It has been 25 hours since my last drink, and am not doing too bad right now. What a rough night... but I got through it.
25 hours -- that is great
you may be over the worse of it if you don't pick up another drink
if you are a drunk such as I was and we live long enough
one becomes very grateful once they get a taste of sobriety

the war is over

Mountainman
Old 02-02-2014, 07:12 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I'm a praying woman and you got it.

Keep fighting. For your self. For your future. These days are rough, no doubt. But, remember, you never have to go through them again...

XO AO
Old 02-02-2014, 07:15 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks. I am going to work in a few hours, maybe that will help to take my mind off things.
Old 02-02-2014, 07:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Sending prayers your way. I know it's hard but keep pushing through. You can do this. I admire you for reaching out to your parents, as a mom that really touched me. It will get easier, keep asking for and taking whatever help you can. Be well.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:08 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I just wanted to say welcome & let you know how brave I think you are. That's the part I think we forget about early in recovery - just how much courage these first steps take.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:57 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Congratulations on getting through the first 25 hours.
Hope you're doing okay, and tonite brings you more rest.