I'm an alcoholic.

Old 02-06-2014, 08:19 PM
  # 61 (permalink)  

Hour 133

that's pretty cool good luck

Mountainmanbob
Old 02-08-2014, 04:28 AM
  # 62 (permalink)  

7 days out. Feeling much better! I still wake up with a lot of tightness in my right temple, but it is definitely stress-related... my body has been under a lot lately! I am eating normally now, sleeping normally, and the headaches are gone. Chills come and go, but they will pass eventually. Thanks everyone for the support
Old 02-21-2014, 05:30 AM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Hey all, been a while since I posted wanted to give you an update.... 20 days out, have not had a drink. Feeling so much better! Will stay on this path.. I am a much better person when I am sober!

Best wishes to all. Take care!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:39 AM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Welcome DJ, we are here for you!!keep posting!
Old 02-21-2014, 05:43 AM
  # 65 (permalink)  

Hi DJ, congratulations on all the work you have done! Please keep reading and posting here.
Old 02-21-2014, 10:21 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Excellent work, DJ. Keep going. Stay strong. It only gets better.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:58 PM
  # 67 (permalink)  
Administrator

great progress dj - keep it up

D
Old 03-03-2014, 11:38 AM
  # 68 (permalink)  

Another update for you all... been over a month, no drinks! Feeling great!
Old 03-03-2014, 12:23 PM
  # 69 (permalink)  

Great job dj!
Old 06-10-2014, 11:33 AM
  # 70 (permalink)  

Been a long time, but wanted to give you all an update!

Since that original post, I have not had a single drink. Been in a few social situations a few times where everyone was drinking (including a wedding reception over the weekend), but simply stated "I do not drink" and everyone respected that. That is one very surprising thing- everyone has really respected the fact that I do not any longer, not critical... I was not expecting that.

Every aspect of my life has changed. My financial difficulties are gone, my job performance has improved (I find myself 30 mins early to work every day now, even working on my days off), and my relationship status has improved (every one before failed because I devoted too much time to drinking). In essence, my entire life has changed, and for the better.

I appreciate all the support I have gotten, especially during those first few days of pure agony. I know this is a demon that will always be there, just lying dormant until a time when it can say "just one wont hurt", but I know if I ever cave I can find myself in the same situation, and I will never let that happen again.

Thanks again to all, and hope that you are all doing great!! =)

-Darren
4 months sober
Old 06-10-2014, 11:37 AM
  # 71 (permalink)  

could read you like a book

Been to work with my vodka and coke .........woken up so terrified that dying actually seemed good ........I am not anywhere near yet but am trying stay with us and lets help each other

Your friend

Mike
xxxxxxxx
Old 06-10-2014, 12:33 PM
  # 72 (permalink)  
Run to live... live to run

Darren- I just read this whole thread in hopes that I'd find you were still sober. You are a very smart and brave man. You are amazing!!!! Congrats on 4 months!! Keep On going, and keep giving us updates on how you are doing!! Sounds like sober life is WAY better!
Old 06-10-2014, 12:34 PM
  # 73 (permalink)  

wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee 4 months! good for you!!
Old 06-10-2014, 12:55 PM
  # 74 (permalink)  

Congratulations, great to hear of your success!
Old 06-10-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 75 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by djfisher34 View Post
Just got home from work, wasn't too bad this time. Headaches were minimal, no shakes at all. My body is definitely adjusting. Hour 133. Sorry to keep posting my hour number, but it helps me see my progress!
don't apologize... do whatever it takes!!

Just wait'll you get to day 164. The view from here is pretty amazing!!

Old 06-10-2014, 01:01 PM
  # 76 (permalink)  

What a great story! I look forward to reading more "chapters". Your dedication to sobriety is inspiring. Thank you for motivating the rest of us to keep fighting the fight.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 77 (permalink)  

Hello again all, sorry it's been so long! =)

In a few days it will be 10 months since my last drink, and I feel amazing! I appreciate the support I have received here, and will continue to update periodically so that you all know that I am ok and I have not gone back to my ways (never will).

I keep coming back here not only to provide updates, but in hopes that someone will read this that has simply hit rock bottom and feels like there is no hope- I have been there. Read my first few posts in this thread. I know what it is like to always be waiting for the next drink. To leave work so you can go sneak one. To leave your house at 5am and be waiting outside the store for when alcohol sales can begin. I have done all of this. But, I admitted I had a problem. You have too, or you wouldn't be here. For me, the next step was telling those that love me. It was the hardest part, but it was something that I had to do. Your drinking not only affects yourself, it has affected those around you, and not only did I need their support, I also needed their forgiveness.

I won't go on and on.. just letting you know, its been 9 months and 25 days, and I feel great, and am feeling strong. This was quite simply the best and most rewarding thing I have ever done. I feel alive again!

Hope you all are well, and good luck in all that you do!

Graciously,

-SOBER Darren
Old 11-26-2014, 05:16 AM
  # 78 (permalink)  

One more thing I wanted to add.. I used to look at people that could drink, and live their lives with no issues at all. They could stop when they wanted, and go days and days without a drink and not have a second thought about it. I felt like less of a person than them; like they were above me.

Now I realize the true nature of this. Its true, most people dont face this demon. They dont know what its like to go through what we went and are going through. But you know whats more honorable, what demands more respect than not having this problem? Having it, and being able to overcome. You have to go through hell, but I consider it a blessing now. I understand things about myself and about the world that the average person can't, and for that I am grateful.

I am not below anyone, and I never was. Everyone has their own issues, but most are too afraid to admit to them or take them head-on and say I will defeat you. Take that step, and once you come out the other side, there is much pride to be had.

Thanks for listening.

-Darren
Old 11-26-2014, 05:42 AM
  # 79 (permalink)  

Bravo, Darren! When I first stumbled on this thread today, I thought: "wow, this is an old thread!" I was very pleased to see that it had been revived by you - still sober. Great job on 10 months, man.
Old 11-26-2014, 06:02 AM
  # 80 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for bringing back up your thread Darren and letting us know how you're doing. I found your story inspiring!