Notices

Hello newbie here

Old 01-20-2014, 09:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello newbie here

I have been reading the posts on this forum i decided to join so i could get some support i'm 49 yrs old i have a great family ,but i have a problem with drinking i was drinking on average 8 to 10 beers a nite was told i had to quit for health reasons i tried o'douls to fill the void went one week felt good then yesterday i grabbed a real beer and binged got into it with the family i feel bad so it's day one again any advise would be great thanks.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Bllit Good to have you here Xx
Old 01-20-2014, 09:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!! great to have you onboard!!
Old 01-20-2014, 09:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome.
Old 01-20-2014, 09:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks .
Old 01-20-2014, 10:04 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to this place, it's nice to have you here.
My defense, is to think of that first drink and where it'll lead me. The remorse, guilt and anxiety that all await me.
I would have the same prblem as you; after a few days sobe, looking better, feeling better and hey, one drink won't hurt. Only probrlem is, I've never had one in my life. It's all or nothing for me. Which, of course, led to another binge.

You'll find a lot of support here and best to you.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:10 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Welcome to this place, it's nice to have you here.
My defense, is to think of that first drink and where it'll lead me. The remorse, guilt and anxiety that all await me.
I would have the same prblem as you; after a few days sobe, looking better, feeling better and hey, one drink won't hurt. Only probrlem is, I've never had one in my life. It's all or nothing for me. Which, of course, led to another binge.

You'll find a lot of support here and best to you.
ya thats exactly what happened to me i feel like i failed
Old 01-20-2014, 10:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Not to worry. I failed dozens of times. It took me a long time to become an alcoholic and it's taken me a long time to recover.
I joined here six years ago (under a different name) and I've been sober for three years. Took me awhile.
Save yourself the misery I went through and stop drinking. You can do it. Many find AA helpful. There are other programs. Come here and post. Whatever it takes.

Best to you.
Old 01-20-2014, 10:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi Bllit, welcome to SR, lots of help here for you, keep posting and reading.
Old 01-20-2014, 11:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Kaleidoscope eyes

Welcome. There is lots of support here x
Old 01-20-2014, 11:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks all I have been going over it in my head i guess beating myself up over it oh well day one again i remember when i didn't drink at all never thought it would come to this.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Bllit, congrats for recognizing the weakness and your desire to make some serious changes. It will not be easy thats for sure. If you really truly want a new lease on life, you know what the answer is. At this point you just dont know exactly how to do it.
These fine folks on SR can help. I am still a rookie at 70 days today, but I most likely would not have made it this far without a plan and determination and support.
You need a plan to handle all the circumstances that will come along that you previously handled (poorly probably) by drinking. Celebrations, family functions, sadness in your life, work parties, vacations, etc etc etc. All a reason to drink. Now you have to think only of the important reasons in your life not drink. Your kids, your spouse, your grandkids down the road, your career, your health, your money, your happiness.
You can do it Bllit, we know you can. You have to want sobriety more than you want a quick fix to whatever comes your way.
Visit often everyday, read, chat, post, learn, share. We can't stop you from picking up, but we sure can encourage to hang on for another day.
Old 01-20-2014, 12:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ghostlight1 View Post
Not to worry. I failed dozens of times. It took me a long time to become an alcoholic and it's taken me a long time to recover.
I joined here six years ago (under a different name) and I've been sober for three years. Took me awhile.
Save yourself the misery I went through and stop drinking. You can do it. Many find AA helpful. There are other programs. Come here and post. Whatever it takes.

Best to you.
Any tips to make it easier 3 years sober wow thats great
Old 01-20-2014, 12:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Rickh54

congrats on day 70 how does it feel?
Old 01-20-2014, 01:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bllit View Post
Any tips to make it easier 3 years sober wow thats great
Thanks. What works for me is remembering all the horrible drunks I went on and the next days. Filled me with anxiety, terror and remorse. I lived like that for a long time. I keep the memories fresh.
I also come here a lot. There's always someone new, or with long time sobriety, who makes a point I can relate to. Like you. It helps keep me sober.

I also understand that I am just given a repreive from drinking. They're still selling it. And I'm one drink away from a drunk. Always will be. I don't look down the road too far, I just try and stay sober today.
You can do it, too. We're all behind you.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Rickh54

congrats on day 70 how does it feel?
Have never been sober for 70 days in a row since I was 15. 45 years of binge drinking. Done with it. You will feel the way I do Bllit. Refreshed, happy, healthier, clear head, more jingle in my jeans, no mood swings, more time with the kids, wife and grandkids instead of the other drunks talking nonsense at the local tavern. Get the faith and then keep it. Work your plan and lose the negatives in your life. Focus only on the positives.
Best wishes to you new Friend. We are all on the same journey.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Any tips to make it easier
It's hardest when you first quit, but it won't always be this hard. It gets easier the longer you are sober. Someday sobriety will be your normal everyday state, just like drinking used to be the norm. When you get there, your life will be so much better. Use that as a "carrot & stick" to keep going and not pick up that first drink.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:09 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Henry, what the heck are you wearing on your head. Looks familiar, just cant quite place it??? Hahahaha
Old 01-20-2014, 01:29 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to SR! I hope the support you find here helps you stop drinking for good.
Old 01-20-2014, 01:40 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I know i have a tough road ahead of me ,but i am facing it head on i've admitted it and now ready to do something about it in the past i have half hardedly tried to quit. After a trip to the doctors office i decided to give it up last week was the longest i when without in years just had some o'douls but then a bad decision thinking i could have regular beer yesterday afternoon on my way home from work then i binged i'm so disappointed in myself i was doing so good