Notices

Health Problems from Drinking?

Old 01-11-2014, 05:48 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Ditto all the above inflictions and terrible health problems
Forgot one thing: Boozer breath. Bad enough to make children barf and dogs to hide under the bed.
Old 01-11-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
EndGame

It would be a much easier thing for me to list the few things that weren't adversely affected by my drinking, but I'm having difficulty thinking of even a single one. Maybe the fact that I'm not dead, despite how much I wished I were?
Old 01-11-2014, 06:08 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Renarde View Post
Liver pain Paresthesias of extremities Weakness Unsteadiness Fatigue Poor quality sleep Nausea, vomiting, diarrhea Chronic dehydration Blood sugar problems Opportunistic infections Rough, gray complexion Terrible depression I'm happy to say that all of this has cleared up in the last 4.5 months.
I forgot edema.
Old 01-11-2014, 06:29 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Location: Probably my living room. Maybe my bedroom if I'm feeling lazy
Worst for me was avascular necrosis in my hips, which didn't even show any symptoms until about 4 months after I had quit drinking. Had to have a double hip replacement in November.

So yeah, drinking really messes with all aspects of bodily function.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:03 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

For me the worst of it is...

Acid Reflux
High Blood Pressure
High Triglycerides
Liver Pain
Gout & Random Joint Pain
Bloated Stomach

I thank God every day that even after I unintentionally have been killing myself for the last 30 years I wake up every morning and don't feel too bad all things considered.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:22 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Worst thing for me was I wrecked my teeth. The crap I drank was high in sugar and alcohol and on top of that I didn't look after them. We don't look after ourselves when we are drinking. Hence had to get most of them pulled out and had to get dentures.

I am probably lucky as it could have been worse.
Old 01-11-2014, 07:29 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Numb toes, stomach pain, extreme anxiety, panic attacks, broken wrist, constant fatigue, severe depression, dry skin patches on my chest, dull hair, bloated complexion....... Since becoming sober a few years back, several people have asked me if I'm a former model. While actively drinking, I was never asked this. Go figure.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:11 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

medical

I was just told my triglycerides are over 500, my sugar is 150, my thyroid isn't working right and I feel like someone stuck a basketball inside my middle area. I have severe acid reflux/GERD where if I miss one day of my Protonix I can taste blood in my throat. I'm 100 lbs. overweight and have an enormous stomach. I'm still trying to make quitting work.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:42 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

At 17 months clean, I am finally, FINALLY! feeling really good physically. It has been a gradual change. I was off and on with all kinds of "paws" effects but lately this seems to have leveled off. My lungs feel clear and I feel more solid and stronger. It's very strange because it seems like it happened all of the sudden but it's been a gradual thing for me and I'm just seeing it.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:55 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

If I wasn't drunk my hands would shake so bad I couldn't hold a glass. This certainly didn't help my serving career. Try to hand someone a martini when your hands shake. I had to drink before work to function. Got fired once when my boss found my beer cans I 'thought' I hid.

At it's worse, withdrawals were like the flu times 10. Sick for days. No sleep. Anxiety so bad I couldn't look anyone in the eye. Had seizures.

For years I went online thinking that all these health problems were some rare disease. The fact is, I knew it was the booze.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:29 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

heart but i
Old 01-27-2014, 04:58 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Spared the worst but experienced much of the above. Riding the subways every morning with irritable bowel syndrome was a real fun experience, especially when the trains were slow or late. Like playing Russian roulette. Don't miss that at all!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:23 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Sober 4 Months -- RELAPSE (sore liver?)

Hi just joined the blog and been reading a lot of great info! I was recently sober for 4 months -- felt terrific! I also used up my year end health care savings for a colonoscopy, heart scan and physical -- all was great and B.P was lower than it ever has (was typically borderline hypertension). Unfortunately, my father passed unexpectedly just before Christmas -- guess what happened? RELAPSE! As I have researched/read these things can quickly go sour with a relapse. I had my last drink 72 hours ago (Friday, 1/24/14) -- I woke up Saturday morning not with pain, but a sensation and some sensitivity to the touch under my right rib cage. I feel fine with no fever, jaundice, urination normal, appetite is good and energy level good (likely because of no drinking)...the only thing I have experienced is diarhea for a couple days which is improving and light colored stools. I am leaving on a trip in the morning and feel fine minus slight discomfort to the touch under my rib cage. I am thinking my liver is angry and needs a break -- FOR GOOD by the way. Am I off base in monitoring closely any changes and hope for improvement upon my return from my weeklong trip then going to the dr.? I know there aren't a lot of dr's out there, but these posts have scared me in a good way, but I simply can't go to the dr. immediately...thoughts?
Old 01-27-2014, 07:05 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Alcoholic gastritis. Symptoms were black bowel movements, horrible abdominal pain, nausea, lack of appetite, and pretty much just hell.

Also felt shaky inside and outside, but it visible shaking. It was weird.

Honestly, I'm surprised I didn't get pancreatitis.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:20 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Back in the doctor's for a blood test tomorrow after going today with stomach/gut problems, so we'll see what that throws up (pardon the pun). Nothing I hope.
Old 01-28-2014, 04:25 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
Administrator

Best wishes. James

D
Old 01-28-2014, 06:11 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I'm in my 50's so it's hard to tell what physical changes are the result of drinking vs. just simply getting older.

I was diagnosed with very high blood pressure in my late 30's. I'm sure that was caused by heavy drinking. Fortunately, medication keeps that normal so I'm fortunate.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:28 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

My alcoholism has only been going for around 3 years, so nothing too severe, yet. But it's coming, the longer I drank the more beat up I felt and looked. If you roll the dice enough times, sooner or later your number will come up.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:29 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Most dangerous health problems caused by ''excessive'' drinking are liver and pancreas diseases.I have blood tests every year and although they have always come out to be ok,recently I had a echocardiography and it turns out to be that my left ventrickle has thickened by 1 mm due to hypertension which is also caused by drinking in the past over many years.I think problems like anxiety can be overcome but once your physical health starts deteriorating,you need to worry!
Old 01-28-2014, 06:33 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Drinking excessively also massively increases your cancer risk, people never mention that, but it does. My dad got throat cancer and I learned that had he not been a heavy drinker he would have cut his risk by 5/6ths (he's fine now).