Notices

Rough time tonight.

Old 12-21-2013, 09:54 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Adventures In SpaceTime

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post

The same things that drove me mad now bring me peace.
They didn't change but I did.

It may not be what you want to hear right now AO - but consider making a gratitude list.

It just might help

Yeah. THIS. Works. Awesomely.
Old 12-21-2013, 10:27 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I see this AV classic gambit frequently - 'I deserve a break from this, I deserve a drink after this day I just had, I deserve to get drunk right now after that news, blah blah blah'. And my AV is just as wily as anyone else's.

I quash this one, after recognizing that particular AV tone of thought, by realizing that I deserve so much more than a break or a drink or a drunk. I deserve a life without this anxiety and depression and shame and anguish and guilt and sickness that goes with the drink drank drunk. What I deserve is a sober life. I am going to have it, and nothing will ever take that away from me.

You got this going on, AO. Never forget that this is a monumental achievement you are making, you are recreating yourself. You are BADASS, if there ever was one. Onward!
Old 12-21-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

I just want out for a few hours. Out of me. Like, a mini vacation from all of this.

Then I'd go right back at it tomorrow. All tanned and toned and rested.

If I broke down and drank, I know I wouldn't go right back at it...I'd just want to keep drinking...and then...well, the whole cycle all over again!

Sometimes that scares me too! It's fear though that is not nearly as scary as I what I was going through when I was active in my disease and then during withdrawals.
Old 12-21-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

The more you nail the "av" the less power it has in my experience .. not heard from mine in a long time but i'm prepared any time it wants , none of the reasoned arguments for sobriety have changed only got more powerful because dealing with the up's and down's of life has become far more manageable these days .

I think sometimes the power of the "av" is proportional to our own addiction ambivalence . I'm glad you persevered , For me by taking the option off the table completely i feel it shortened the cravings . The longest i had lasted 6 days and other than going to work i just sat it out in bed listening to talk radio .. i am willing to do that again for a month , for a year for a lifetime, it knows that , it doesn't seem to bother me anymore (i'm ready if it does) and i can get on with living life as best i can .

Bestwishes, m
Old 12-21-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
AlmA

Dear Alpha,

We all have to accept there are bad days... but there are good days too.

It is hard... But can cope with it!!!

Think today is a bad day but I know it will not last...
it is temporal it passes by...
go to bed when you are going mad...
have a shower...
Write your thoughts down...
but you can do sports... is the best to get out of the system the stress...
come here...
Next day you get up better...

I hope you feel better soon.

All our support...
Old 12-21-2013, 05:35 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Hope you're feeling a bit better Alpha.

Not to minimise at all what you felt, but I was struck by the sheer sort of black comedy of PTCapote's thing [which I'll gloss a little]:

'I like a good existential crisis every now and again'. PT of course went on to remark how it doesn't have to stay that way. But the remark itself is one of the hallmarks of SR's best: serious Life-with-Suffering-thrown-in, combined with a good bracing dry wit. SR has so often been literally a breath of fresh air when the Life-with-Suffering part gets too dominant for me.

xxx
Vic
Old 12-21-2013, 09:25 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Thanks Vic, I try for a little levity but worry sometimes I am too dark...thanks for not finding it so.

And I did pick up a lot of my dry wit spending years around Aussies so I learned from the best

Always love your posts too, you're very positive.

xoxo