Notices

Artists in Recovery

Old 10-02-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  

Plenny- I did some art early this morning (0630 Tuesday here, now) - exactly because of that horrible, terrible news in the US. In the recovery program I am in- I have seen not only the effects of damage caused by alcohol..but the effects of how great damage has caused people around me to drink. Art to me is beauty, yes- but also a realistic way of expression. I agree- that regardless, we each have a 'duty' to keep contributing to our communities in the wake of such violence.
Drinking in no way helps those affected and effected by such tragedy- and is just an excuse,.
On the creativity bit- my sponsor is a prof. artist- quite good too (how gracious of me!) - his drinking got to the stage in painting- where he would hide cheap vodka in various jars around his studio- with paint brushes in them ..hiding in plain sight. He believe his 'lack' of creativity in early sobriety was more to do with the association, the ritual of drinking with art- not the creative process. It took him time and effort- but now KNOWS his art is as good, sober- if not better.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 382 (permalink)  

Hi Snufkin.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:39 PM
  # 383 (permalink)  

Hi Phoenix, I see that you have been housed, me too, how great is that Phoenix?!

I'm dragging out my kids paintbox and going to splash a bit of colour around. I don't care I can't paint, but love colour and like to write. Art is so many things.

And just heard that Tom Petty died and I'm crying. I really loved him. He was an artist.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:03 PM
  # 384 (permalink)  

rip Tom.
I use words and paint a lot Steely. My housing, is still in the mantle of the recovery program (Salvo's). This is the final bit..now comes the wait for long-term housing. With irony- I went to Housing SA and asked if it was useful to drop by once a month and wave my hands about to let them know I still have a pulse- I was firmly told YES! tHE SECOND TIME i WENT IN- THE SAME PERSON, WHO OBVIOUSLY HAD FORGOTTEN ME, ASKED WHY i KEPT COMING IN- BE-C IT MADE NO DIFF. i WILL GO ANYWAY- IT IS ALL ABOUT ME.
aND I am too lazy to remember caps-lock.
Old 10-03-2017, 09:44 AM
  # 385 (permalink)  

Yay Steely splash some color around! I went over to a good friend's house last night to do some crafts. She has had a very hard time with her partner and her living situation lately so she has taken a break from drinking to clear her mind, so I suggested we go to Michael's and buy some kind of craft thing and just zone out for a while. It was great and I hadn't done it in so long! Just for fun. Very good for my mind.
Today it's back to the project at hand though
Old 03-24-2018, 10:00 PM
  # 386 (permalink)  

Hey everyone, I'm back at it again. I am trying to post more as I work more, and I'm hoping all of you will continue to as well. We artists need each other and I think being an artist in recovery is a unique disposition, given what society has told us about substance use/abuse and our creativity.

I hope Razorback finds this thread!
Old 03-25-2018, 01:59 AM
  # 387 (permalink)  

Not an artists specifically but I do a lot of drawing and design on a cintiq 22. Also a music producer.

Alcohol has always helped me be productive and creative, BUT it only lasts a very short while. At some point I'll cross the threshold of drunkness and it's pointless attempting anything productive.

Does anyone get a big head when drinking? For example thinking your art/music is better than anyone else? I was very arrogant, and condescending, to others when I was drunk. Embarrasses me looking back.
Old 03-25-2018, 03:08 AM
  # 388 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

hi there

love the idea of this thread

folk/jazz/rock/bluegrass guitarist and budding songwriter here also

yes I am more productive and better sober

kicked out of bands for being too drunk or high...

the myth that drugs facilitate creativity or open doors otherwise closed is true to a certain extent for me......then it stopped working

gave me wings to fly then took away the sky

learning to fly again

v
Old 03-25-2018, 03:09 AM
  # 389 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Vandermast View Post
gave me wings to fly then took away the sky

learning to fly again
I love this!
Old 03-25-2018, 08:21 AM
  # 390 (permalink)  

Yeah I have experienced the inflated ego while drinking. I rarely think my work is worth looking at so it's tempting to ride that wave.

I am frustrated with myself currently because I have unfinished paintings sitting here that are going to be wonderful if I let them come into being but I seem to have a compulsion to freeze up. Anyone else experience this?

I'm trying to treat this compulsion by just doing one small project or part of a big project every day. Then when my list of little things clears a bit I should be able to kick in to focus. I hope

I have a friend who needs her shed painted. Flowers. She was so excited to give me wine all day. Oops. I told her my blood pressure is up and I think she can relate to that since we both have heart troubles in our families. Hopefully she lays off
Old 03-25-2018, 08:23 AM
  # 391 (permalink)  

Does anyone know how to post images or sound files in here? We could have an art show with music by our contributors...
Old 03-25-2018, 03:46 PM
  # 392 (permalink)  
Administrator

There's no facility for posting music here unless it's part of a youtube video, Plenny.

D
Old 03-26-2018, 09:49 AM
  # 393 (permalink)  

I’m excited about joining; classical musician/author here
Old 03-26-2018, 05:11 PM
  # 394 (permalink)  

Cool here we are. I'm getting ready for the shed mural tomorrow. I think i'll just try to wing it, no real plan. Hopefully that will work out. My friend has backed down about the drinking thing and she's going to cook for me. I'm excited for that
Old 03-26-2018, 05:58 PM
  # 395 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sure you'll do fine Plenny but good luck anyway

D
Old 03-27-2018, 07:53 AM
  # 396 (permalink)  

Thanks! Here I go I'm all packed up and heading out to paint
Old 04-05-2018, 12:08 PM
  # 397 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, artists!

I've finally revived my writing, even though I feel horrible today (cold and fever).

But I am tired of putting it off for "tomorrow".

See you)
Old 04-05-2018, 01:05 PM
  # 398 (permalink)  
saoutchik

Originally Posted by Plenny View Post
Does anyone know how to post images or sound files in here? We could have an art show with music by our contributors...
I managed to post a soundcloud message once which took a while but is possible.

Posting pics is reasonably straightforwards but you usually have to reduce the pixel count which is not great for detail.
Old 04-05-2018, 01:13 PM
  # 399 (permalink)  

I’ll be honest I don’t think an artist in recovery forum would be good. I’ve worked in the arts for 30 years and currently managed a v successful art department. The creative personality is addictive but I think we can be sober/clean and still create amazing art. I don’t think a forum for creatives would be good!’! Too much enabling and understanding would be very distructive. X
Dee I really hope you keep an eye on this thread.
Old 04-05-2018, 07:34 PM
  # 400 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi looking for change, I appreciate your post and your PM.

There's no plans right now to turn this thread in to a forum

I might be biased cos I'm a musician/writer, but I've met a lot of people in my half century of life, and I really don't think that creative types are necessarily any more or less manipulative than other addicts, or indeed than other groups of people in general?

I take your point about enabling but tbh there's not a lot of that goes on here at SR - we're all pretty good at calling out BS - and outside of enabling, I really can't see how empathy or understanding could be destructive?

you've obviously been burned a few times and I'm sorry for that.

Maybe if you spoke a little more on what the background is to you feeling this way, we could all understand a little better?

D