Notices

Artists in Recovery

Old 01-16-2016, 11:48 PM
  # 321 (permalink)  
now's the time

Plenny and ItsViolet, 6 months ago I moved from one coast to nearly the other, got sober, and am in the process of launching my creative career that I couldn't manage while drinking! Glad to meet you, fellow transplanters.

I'm a writer primarily. Right now I'm adding web design and graphic design to my skill set so I can get higher paying jobs. I've been in this general field for 7 years but it's so different on my own. With freelance, time really is money, especially as I'm taking on as many projects as possible right now to build my portfolio. Launching this business is kind of taking over my life. It's good but so difficult!

For fun I do visual art too! In two weeks I'm taking a one-day class to learn to make wood cut prints, so I need to draw my images before then.

Plenny, thanks for describing your night. I'm the same way with visual art... I'm always nervous to start but once I get into it it's so soothing. I'm glad you had a good night!
Old 01-17-2016, 05:47 AM
  # 322 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Old 01-17-2016, 01:26 PM
  # 323 (permalink)  

I love all these stories about picking up and moving in order to sober up and invest in art. One of my favorite artists got sober three years ago. I have never met her, although we know tons of the same people. Back home in New York. I've always wanted to pick her brain about it
Old 01-17-2016, 01:27 PM
  # 324 (permalink)  

Hi Elle Dee! One of my best friends is a glass artist! Cool medium
Old 01-17-2016, 01:28 PM
  # 325 (permalink)  

Fantail, I also feel that way about writing. Writing scares me! But I feel like I have a story to write
Old 01-17-2016, 02:35 PM
  # 326 (permalink)  

Iam not an artist in the normal sense, but my gift is creating businesses from scratch. It's a creative process that I really enjoy from conceiving the idea to actually getting it up and running. Alcohol has stripped me of this at the moment and Iam hoping to get this back in recovery.
Old 01-17-2016, 04:05 PM
  # 327 (permalink)  
now's the time

Yeah Plenny I hear that. I write for a living and I know the whole plot of the novel I want to write, and I'm still afraid to write it!
Old 01-17-2016, 09:29 PM
  # 328 (permalink)  

I'm hoping to write a memoir so..... I'm terrified!! And it feels so self indulgent
I don't feel that way about other writers, just me

Hercules, it's astonishing what drinking does to our creative self.
Old 01-20-2016, 10:28 AM
  # 329 (permalink)  

Alright. Had a couple of unproductive days where I could not think of anything to add to my pieces. Then I sat down at my computer and started googling images and somehow was inspired to do the next step in this painting. I'm feeling very tired today and I've already made some permanent choices on this piece so that I can move forward, so I think I'd better back away before I make any mistakes

I also made a list of things to do when I'm out of ideas or having a block.
-google image search
-draw pictures for drawing library
-write or brainstorm
-do spontaneous comic

Just to use my time instead of letting myself get slack or stagnant. If I'm at the desk, I was productive.
Old 01-20-2016, 01:53 PM
  # 330 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I am not sure I would consider myself an artist as when I drank I lost any artistic ability I might have had. Since I have been sober I have been fortunate enough to have had bursts of creativity. At around 8 years of sobriety I started oil painting again and was quite productive for about a year. The impulse to paint was so strong that there were times when I painted for house on end sometimes late into the night. I have not been able to pick up a paintbrush since then as I have not felt that creative impulse hit me since that time for some reason. I do keep the easel and paints set up in case it comes back.

This past year I did purchase a 35mm camera as I remembered how much enjoyed photography before my drinking really took off and I thought it might provide some inspiration for me to paint. So I have been enjoying the creative feeling that the camera brings to my life.

I thought I would share one of my most recent photos. We took a drive to the coast this last weekend. The ocean is a place that I find calming and relaxing no matter if it is stormy of calm. It always has felt like home to me. I am actually feeling drawn to paint this picture. Anyway here is a link to the picture in case the picture doesn't come up below (just click where it says "Oregon Coast"):
Oregon Coast
Old 01-25-2016, 10:38 PM
  # 331 (permalink)  

That's gorgeous nandm. And good reference I think. I look forward to seeing what you do with it!
Old 02-27-2016, 01:49 AM
  # 332 (permalink)  
Administrator

Bumpity.

D
Old 11-27-2016, 01:08 PM
  # 333 (permalink)  

Hi all. I'm back again. Which means I am also back to the drafting table to keep trying to finish this series of paintings. For me, creating can be a creaky cold rusty engine and it is really hard to start. Much of it has to do with self esteem and drinking really really hinders my ability to work. I hope any artists out there in recovery will continue to use this space to chat about creativity in recovery and how our beautiful brains function in this life. Hope you are all doing well and making things

Plenny
Old 11-27-2016, 09:41 PM
  # 334 (permalink)  

Hi Plenny,

I am a painter and I just saw this thread. It's been a while since I have been on this forum. I had a show 3 weeks ago and I've been feeling like I have been in a bit of a creative slump. Most of the time I don't even have to think about it. But the last show left me a bit exhausted. This is the worst time of year to get into a slump since it's Christmas. Nice to meet you!
Old 11-27-2016, 10:03 PM
  # 335 (permalink)  

Nice to meet you Cusper!
This is a place where I like to talk about and try to cultivate my process and I hope artists in recovery from all disciplines will do that too.
Slump. I have been in those many too many times. It would be easier to accept them as part of the process (which I have learned to embrace that they definitely are) if they didn't happen at such bad times.
I have come to think of slumps or blocks as something else though.

Think of it this way: every action has an equal and opposite reaction. Output/input. Nature trying to achieve balance. There is a time of creation followed by a time of reception and incubation, which is necessary to fuel and feed the next cycle of creation.
When I choose to treat slumps like reception and incubation times, I allow inspiration to cultivate. Less guilt and anxiety and more openness to the muse

Unfortunately we all gotta pay the bills, I know. Our world isn't exactly tailored to the artist's needs. Most of us have to tailor ourselves to this world in some pretty fantastic ways. I hope your slump gives way soon
Old 11-27-2016, 10:09 PM
  # 336 (permalink)  

I'm making a list for tomorrow including meals and exercise. My block of time I assign to my studio needs to be cushioned with coffee time, cooking and eating a meal, meditation time, etc. All of these things fuel me and make me feel comfortable and enjoy my work. These work day lists are my best friend on studio days. When I provide myself a structure, my mind is free to create and concentrate since I'm not worried about how and when to fit these other things in and since I've made sure to feed myself and strengthen myself.
Old 11-27-2016, 11:25 PM
  # 337 (permalink)  

Ah Plenny you are so right, the balance is so very important. I agree. I had said that after the show I would take some time to be balanced this next cycle, But low and behold I tend to repeat the same patterns. I had said this time around I would take a pilates class, cook a meal but as you said Bills!!

I think I feel guilty even if I take a day off. My husband is out of work right now so it is me paying the mortgage and I tend to get stressed. Plus it's not the best for the creative process to be pumping out works in this manner. However I do feel really grateful that I get paid for creating when it comes down to it. In the end I do wake up feeling like it's a privilege.

What I love to do is listen to inspirational TED talks(or any speech really) on youtube when I paint. In fact it has helped me so much with this crazy brain I walk around with. Especially when you had mentioned previously with your bouts of self esteem I had listened to a talk by an artist named Kent Grosswiler talk about overcoming addiction and becoming an artist and he was really inspiring. I find especially when I am feeling challenged creatively these people who get up and speak about what they have overcame or how they became motivated in one way or another really helps me recharge.

I usually drop my son off at school and take a long walk with my dog and then begin the day. Maybe it's even just the weather. I find this time of year can be a bit daunting when we head into the winter. I am in Canada and it can get pretty cold and dark. I usually do two shows a year and I've just booked the next one for April. With each show I always think, "this one will be the best one yet!!" But somehow I am not feeling that crazy flash. Maybe not enough incubation time as you say. I've decided to take Tuesday off this week just to wander around since it's supposed to be nice.
Now I haven't begun to really meditate in the traditional sense. Do you have a set time for that? Or do you just wing it? I am thinking of trying this maybe with a guided meditation(there are recordings I can download) since I am a bit scattered and would find my mind wandering to future chores. How did you start?
Old 11-27-2016, 11:36 PM
  # 338 (permalink)  

Ah Plenny you are so right, the balance is so very important. I agree. I had said that after the show I would take some time to be balanced this next cycle, But low and behold I tend to repeat the same patterns. I had said this time around I would take a pilates class, cook a meal but as you said Bills!!

I think I feel guilty even if I take a day off. My husband is out of work right now so it is me paying the mortgage and I tend to get stressed. Plus it's not the best for the creative process to be pumping out works in this manner. However I do feel really grateful that I get paid for creating when it comes down to it. In the end I do wake up feeling like it's a privilege.

What I love to do is listen to inspirational TED talks(or any speech really) on youtube when I paint. In fact it has helped me so much with this crazy brain I walk around with. Especially when you had mentioned previously with your bouts of self esteem I had listened to a talk by an artist named Kent Grosswiler talk about overcoming addiction and becoming an artist and he was really inspiring. I find especially when I am feeling challenged creatively these people who get up and speak about what they have overcame or how they became motivated in one way or another really helps me recharge.

I usually drop my son off at school and take a long walk with my dog and then begin the day. Maybe it's even just the weather. I find this time of year can be a bit daunting when we head into the winter. I am in Canada and it can get pretty cold and dark. I usually do two shows a year and I've just booked the next one for April. With each show I always think, "this one will be the best one yet!!" But somehow I am not feeling that crazy flash. Maybe not enough incubation time as you say. I've decided to take Tuesday off this week just to wander around since it's supposed to be nice.
Now I haven't begun to really meditate in the traditional sense. Do you have a set time for that? Or do you just wing it? I am thinking of trying this maybe with a guided meditation(there are recordings I can download) since I am a bit scattered and would find my mind wandering to future chores. How did you start?
Old 11-28-2016, 12:48 AM
  # 339 (permalink)  

Hi, just caught this thread. I am in active recovery- about 10 months, joined SR in June. Part of the recovery program here (small only 24 all up) is having a prof. artist come in once a week for - whatever- fun, therapy, grow a talent,. I thought being from a health background career it would be basket weaving- or painting stuff and then sitting around and interpreting it. For that very reason I made myself go to the first one art class. I had a few ideas and raised them with the Master. She encouraged me .
A very brief history (as it explains my art) is I was dead nearly 4 times (including in the ambulance) just over 1 year ago from horrific burns I got from having a blackout with a ciggie in my mouth - which fell into a fibreglass sling (broken shoulder- fall, alcohol) and it caught fire , turned molten and thus burns. So I paint to learn how I feel, interpret my progress in recovery and implement growth. Everything I do to me is serious, significant and important. My avatar is my m/p 3. 'Phoenix rising/Icarus falling.' The first was symbolic images painted on fabric, then I hand stitched it on the blo..dy burns suit I had to wear 24/7 to reduce scarring and stuff. It is all about flames/pain blah. I see a slow change- from MP 1- doom and gloom to MP 3- metamorphosis and hope. MP 4 was acrylic on fabric- sewn on a t-shirt of a sunset (kind of) with lots of colour - beachy sort of thing- lots of bright colours. The master told me after MP 1 I showed natural talent (whatever that means) and I used this to keep going. My sponsor IS an artist and gives me feedback as well.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
CROPPED2.jpg (41.7 KB, 37 views)
Old 11-28-2016, 08:19 AM
  # 340 (permalink)  

Cusper,
It's wonderful that you are paid to be an artist primarily. It also makes sense that it's strange to crank creative work out like that. I keep another job (service industry) so that I can pay my bills and facilitate my life as an aspiring professional artist. I do commissions sometimes but mostly over the past couple years (my projects have been delayed because of my slumps and drinking, and compounded by depression and divorce and several moves) I've just been trying to finish this one series.

Thank you for telling me about that Ted talk I'll have to find it!

As for meditation, since I usually schedule my studio time around my work schedule, I do set a time to stop after my art time and before I get dressed for the restaurant. I just stretch and try to actively clear my head, and I try to stay present and feel all the sensations. My stretch regiment usually only lasts 20 minutes. But yeah, I block everything out in estimated time blocks and I do my best to follow that schedule. In a way it's very liberating.

I read a book called "Getting Things Done" that looks really nerdy but I know lots of artists who have been helped by the method. I could do with another read actually because I feel like I could actually reach my goals if I followed the structure the author provides