View Single Post
Old 10-02-2017, 01:12 PM
  # 381 (permalink)  
PhoenixJ

Plenny- I did some art early this morning (0630 Tuesday here, now) - exactly because of that horrible, terrible news in the US. In the recovery program I am in- I have seen not only the effects of damage caused by alcohol..but the effects of how great damage has caused people around me to drink. Art to me is beauty, yes- but also a realistic way of expression. I agree- that regardless, we each have a 'duty' to keep contributing to our communities in the wake of such violence.
Drinking in no way helps those affected and effected by such tragedy- and is just an excuse,.
On the creativity bit- my sponsor is a prof. artist- quite good too (how gracious of me!) - his drinking got to the stage in painting- where he would hide cheap vodka in various jars around his studio- with paint brushes in them ..hiding in plain sight. He believe his 'lack' of creativity in early sobriety was more to do with the association, the ritual of drinking with art- not the creative process. It took him time and effort- but now KNOWS his art is as good, sober- if not better.