Notices

Trying this again

Old 10-17-2013, 08:11 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

It was such a long day, and I'm am exhausted. I think my head cold is on it's way out though, thank goodness! I had just about had it.

Day 26 sober, and my sobriety is making me super happy, despite the sickness and exhaustion. When I was drinking, days like these were the worst, and I'd spend the evening drinking myself into oblivion just to escape how I felt. So glad I don't want to do that. Just the thought of drinking while I feel like this makes me nauseated. I guess that's a good sign.

Hopefully I can use this weekend to fully recover from my cold and get some good rest.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:11 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Day 27. 4 weeks tomorrow. Seems a bit surreal. I actually stopped in my tracks and thought "Holy crap!" This journey so far has been really interesting to say the least. I've learned so much about alcoholism that I didn't know before.

SR has been such an AMAZING support. I'm so glad I have this site. I love reading everyone's posts, good, bad and ugly. Through this site, I've found all the recovery books I've been reading, and the documentaries I've watched. Everything I've done so far has just bolstered my sobriety. The daily devotionals are a must, and help so much. I think I'm going to really get started on the steps this weekend, since I will have a lot of free time.

My life feels better. I can definitely tell that things are going better at work. I'm much sharper and it feels like I'm getting a lot more done everyday now. It's hard to gauge how things are going at home, just because I've had this stupid head cold now for about a million years. I do feel more present. Hopefully my energy will return once this cold is gone.

All in all, I'm loving being sober. Absolutely loving it.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:45 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
~sb

Maybe find an online or email sponsor. Those steps, as written, are a summary or abstract of what we've done, not exactly what we do. Step one is fully conceding to our innermost selves that we are alcoholic, among other things we do.....

Congrats on 27 days of continuous sobriety!!!!!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I just had a realization. I don't hate life anymore. I used to, very much. Life was too hard, there were too many responsibilities, and I never had enough energy to deal with it. I really just shambled along, trying to take care of my child the best I could, but not enjoying life even a little bit.

I really thought I would check out once my daughter was grown and didn't need me anymore.

I don't feel this way anymore. I know it was the alcohol making me feel that way. I just couldn't stand the thought of an existence where I felt that way all the time. I really thought it wouldn't end. Now I know that sobriety is really what I always needed, I just didn't know it. I feel hopeful about my future now, and I'm enjoying the little things.

Thank goodness I'm not in that dark place anymore.
Old 10-19-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by InsaneHeart View Post
I just had a realization. I don't hate life anymore. I used to, very much. Life was too hard, there were too many responsibilities, and I never had enough energy to deal with it. I really just shambled along, trying to take care of my child the best I could, but not enjoying life even a little bit.

I really thought I would check out once my daughter was grown and didn't need me anymore.

I don't feel this way anymore. I know it was the alcohol making me feel that way. I just couldn't stand the thought of an existence where I felt that way all the time. I really thought it wouldn't end. Now I know that sobriety is really what I always needed, I just didn't know it. I feel hopeful about my future now, and I'm enjoying the little things.

Thank goodness I'm not in that dark place anymore.
Fantastic post, InsaneHeart! That truly made me smile today. Thank you
Old 10-19-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Sugarbear, how do you find an online/email sponsor? How does that work?

Also guys, I am a tech dork. When my kids leave the house, I won't know how to turn on my TV. Could someone explain how to quote parts of someone's post to me?

Thanks in advance. InsaneHeart, I am so happy for you!! I am beaming for you!!!
Old 10-19-2013, 02:11 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

Congrats InsaneHeart

HAPPY 4 WEEK ANNIVERSARY! You are amazing!
Old 10-22-2013, 07:10 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I guess I thought I'd feel better at 1 month sober. Don't get me wrong, I am not hungover or drunk all the time, and that in and of itself is tremendous. But, I feel like poo. I'm so tired all the time...I just want to sleep for a million years. I have been sick for awhile now with a head cold, and I know that's not helping things.

I guess my body is still healing. I have noticed that a lot of the inner aches and pains that I had constantly are pretty much gone. Another sign that I'm healing. I know it will take awhile for me to feel truly "good", but blah. Gotta give myself a break. I know I'm expecting too much too soon.
Old 10-22-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

One month is good , just hang in there. Post often , and read on here. I'm into Western movie , it takes my mind off of me. After only 18 days , I'm hopeful. Have you called your sponsor today ? Attended a meeting ?

Tr
Old 10-22-2013, 08:52 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm not physically in AA, and I don't have a sponsor. Not quite ready for that yet. I'm not in danger of drinking, I don't have any cravings or anything, and I don't want to drink.

Just a little blah.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:13 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Breaking Thru

Whenever I get too into thinking about the why this and why that i get a little blah! I don't know if that happens to you but what works for me if I'm sad or anxious is to pray
I'll say the serenity prayer over and over . It calms me

Like I said , keep putting it out there , don't keep it inside. Let SR work. It does you know

Tr
Old 10-22-2013, 09:14 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I know it does Triky It's my lifeline.
Old 10-22-2013, 09:26 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

InsaneHeart, you are FANTASTIC, rootin for ya.
Old 10-23-2013, 07:26 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Goals finally within my reach now that I am sober...

1. Lose 100 pounds
2. Go to church every Sunday
3. Take a creative writing course
4. Become a certified Microsoft Excel expert
5. Save up money to take a trip to see my sister (who I haven't seen in 25+ years)
6. Heal from my childhood trauma
7. Learn how to cook more complex recipes
8. Get more involved in AFSP and do more field advocacy work
9. Turn my spare room into a dance studio for my daughter to practice
10. Study bible prophecy again

Just a few.
Old 10-24-2013, 09:22 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

I hope ya'll don't mind, but I've kinda been using this thread as my sobriety journal. It's helping, so I'm gonna keep posting in it. Day 33 sober.

Really hope the bad dreams go away soon. I'm so tired, but don't want to go to bed because I don't relish what my crazy brain has waiting for me.

Good news...I've been selling stuff like crazy and almost have enough money together to get my daughter the ipod she wants for Christmas. Normally, my drunk self would wait until the last minute to get my Christmas shopping done, and it sucked. My plan is to have it finished by December 1. There's a first for everything.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Day 37 sober.

Hubby quit drinking the same day that I did, so we are both in recovery. Our friends had a Halloween party on Saturday night that we usually always go to. I wanted to stay home with our daughter because we were carving pumpkins, but told him to go and have fun. This was the first time since we quit that he's been somewhere where the alcohol is flowing and free for the taking.

He came home a couple of hours later completely sober! I was/am so proud of him. He said how weird it was to see all these people smashed, him being sober. He said that he knew we used to act that way at parties and it made him cringe. He even brought a couple of people home who were too drunk to drive!
Old 10-30-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 57 (permalink)  

Books I've read so far...

Drinking: A Love Story
Sober Mercies
The Glass Castle

All have been really good, and just enforce my will to stay sober. I'd recommend them to any recovering alcoholic.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:30 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  

3rd times a charm. Day 1 sober...took an Ativan to ease the panic.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:37 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  
...holds the key

Welcome back and I'm so glad you're here!
I hope you'll hang out with us and keep reaching out!
You have my support...we don't have to do this alone!
Come over and join the dec 2014 class...we'd love to have you!
Old 12-08-2014, 08:42 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Hi, Insaneheart:

Just read your thread. Such inspiring insights here. Thank you so much for sharing and welcome back!