Notices

Day 3....am I really an alcoholic?

Old 08-15-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Though i thought alcoholics had to have withdrawal symptoms?
I never had any withdrawal symptoms when I quit. And I drank for decades. Just works different for different people I guess.

Beyond that - I don't think much about the label of alcoholic. I just know alcohol screws me over so I need to stay away from it.
Old 08-15-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a toxic chemical that has effects on most parts of the body, usually not healthy results. It reacts differently in different people and very often results in ways we didn't intend. Loss of family's, homes, jobs, things we used to care about and mostly ourselves. One result of our stopping our drinking is we want more and more even after all the losses. I think that might be considered insanity. BE WELL
Old 08-15-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

imo it doesn't matter whether you think you're an alcoholic or not. Ask yourself-does alcohol cause you problems? If you're driving after 3 bottles of wine the answer must be yes. You could kill an innocent child or leave your children without a father. Would you think that's a problem?

just because you haven't withdrawals doesn't mean anything. the fact you're craving a drink after just 2 days of not drinking speaks volumes

it will get worse and worse.People lose their jobs,wives,children,kill people( likely if you're drinking and driving) I'msure you didn't intend to do it but for me , once I started drinking all sense flew out of the window. I'm not being judgmental,had a DUI myself so do understand how you do it,You feel so embarrassed you think you won't do it again? you believe you'll only have 1 small bottle. For me once I took that first drink it just led to more.Sound familiar?

It's not about strength.I ALWAYS intended to drink moderately but that was from a sober perspective. Once I took that first drink all sense disappeared and I just wanted more,more more

I hope you didn't drink and hope you stick around SR. you have to really want to quit though.Do you ?
Old 08-15-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
(previously uksupport)

You dont have to have any withdrawal symptoms to have been an alcoholic. You also dont have to have strictly been an alcoholic to get alcohol withdrawals. If you drink an unhealthy amount and cant just moderate then you have a drinking problem. If you intend to stop drinking and keep saying i'll start after the weekend, then you have a drinking problem. If your not an addict you can still seriously damage your body through alcohol abuse.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:18 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Administrator

Sometimes I had really bad withdrawals and other times nothing - I was still an alcoholic tho

I'd look at it this way - day 3...72 hours give or take... and you're *pleading* for a drink

doesn't that strike you as a problem, thewill?

D
Old 08-15-2013, 02:22 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
(previously uksupport)

Thats a good point Dee.

Why be so fussed about having a drink if your not an alcoholic. It should be here nor there should it?
Old 08-15-2013, 02:45 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Thank you all. I will not let the voice beat me today. I never said I was not an alcoholic.
Old 08-15-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by thewill View Post
Thank you all. I will not let the voice beat me today. I never said I was not an alcoholic.
I was responding to this

Though i thought alcoholics had to have withdrawal symptoms?
D
Old 08-15-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenity1972 View Post
It is your AV talking and you need to shut the beast up. You certainly are not recovered after 3 days. Heck, I have more than 3 days and my AV still sings to me and I didn't drink everyday. I WAS a weekend binge drinker. It is how you choose to deal with your AV that matters. If you choose to pick up that drink just remember the consequences that come with that first drink. I know there is no way I can moderate at all. I have tried on may occasions only to fall flat on my face. Once, I pick up that first drink the rest is history.

I just hope you do some soul searching and figure out if you really want to be alcohol free or not. I would say if you don't do it for yourself at least do it for your kids.

Wishing you the best.
Hate dittoes....but ditto!
Old 08-15-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
TKS

Originally Posted by thewill View Post
I have no alcohol in my house. What if I buy just 1 small bottle of wine. I cant drink more then I have?
It's ultimately your choice. But that's certainly a relapse, and back to day 1. Look at the recent poll on moderation. It simply doesn't work for most of us.

When I tried to stay sober in December, without the support network of SR or the mindset to cope, I too thought that just one beer would be fine. And it was.... until a few days later that I decided that I could moderate, so I had 'just two'. Within two weeks of that first drink, I was back into it harder than ever before. So, moderation today with just one drink most likely will lead to further days of 'just one drink'. Which will turn into many drinks in a short time, and back to the old habits.

It's tough, I know that only too well. But if you're here asking the questions, then deep down I think you know the outcome if you relapse.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I don't think I suffered any physical withdrawal when I gave up a life doused in alcohol. But if someone had the cajones to come up tom me and tell me quitting was easy or that the fact I didn't suffer withrawal, a dui or job loss means I didn't have a problem. I would punch them in the head and maybe kick them in said cajones (if they had them).

And ya know why I would beat on them? Because I have no coping mechanisms. I have not learned how to emotionally regulate in times of objection and stress and adversity (drinking was my answer for everything previously..good and bad). Maybe I wouldn't beat on them...perhaps I might burst into tears? Who the hell knows..I actually don't. Because learning to live without alcohol ..takes ...learning. I'm about 10 weeks sober and I'm still in the crawling stage....
Old 08-15-2013, 04:04 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Dont drink for 90 days. See how you feel. I think it will be enlightening.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:09 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Hi The will.
I drank to extreme to moderately for over 50 years before fully realising I was an alcoholic.
That's 5 times more than you!
I sincerely hope you wont join me by being 5 times sillier than I was!
Old 08-15-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi thewill, seems you and I are on much of the same path. This is my day 3. On average, i've been drinking close to a fifth of whiskey damn near every night for the past 15 years. I have a kid, a career, a house, etc. - aka - a lot to lose. Sounds like you do to. I posted nearly the exact same question of moderation last night in hopes of finding a way to ease my pain (unfortunately, I am battling a symptom or two of withdrawl).

But luckily, I was shown the same support and given the same advice as you are getting here. Just hang in there. Try to focus on the positive. For me, it was spending the first day, in I can't remember how long, without a hangover. Yeah, I still feel wobbly and really could use some sleep, but still have the love of my child, my freedom, and the comfort of knowing I didn't run the risk of killing myself or someone else by taking a completely unnecessary risk. I don't mean to be too melodramatic, but do you really want your wife and kids to have to come visit you in prison for 20 years 'cos you got convicted of felony DUI for smashing into a kid on the street while you were hammered? Don't be that guy.

I can promise you that I can relate so much with all you're going through - i'm right there next to you on the path. We're in a deep dark place but we've gotten comfortable here. Getting out is going to be really f-ing hard. I'm just convinced that the effort and pain is going to be worth it and I'm trying to focus on that. Hope you can too.

Fight hard!
DTM