View Single Post
Old 08-15-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
drinkstoomuch

Hi thewill, seems you and I are on much of the same path. This is my day 3. On average, i've been drinking close to a fifth of whiskey damn near every night for the past 15 years. I have a kid, a career, a house, etc. - aka - a lot to lose. Sounds like you do to. I posted nearly the exact same question of moderation last night in hopes of finding a way to ease my pain (unfortunately, I am battling a symptom or two of withdrawl).

But luckily, I was shown the same support and given the same advice as you are getting here. Just hang in there. Try to focus on the positive. For me, it was spending the first day, in I can't remember how long, without a hangover. Yeah, I still feel wobbly and really could use some sleep, but still have the love of my child, my freedom, and the comfort of knowing I didn't run the risk of killing myself or someone else by taking a completely unnecessary risk. I don't mean to be too melodramatic, but do you really want your wife and kids to have to come visit you in prison for 20 years 'cos you got convicted of felony DUI for smashing into a kid on the street while you were hammered? Don't be that guy.

I can promise you that I can relate so much with all you're going through - i'm right there next to you on the path. We're in a deep dark place but we've gotten comfortable here. Getting out is going to be really f-ing hard. I'm just convinced that the effort and pain is going to be worth it and I'm trying to focus on that. Hope you can too.

Fight hard!
DTM