Notices

In AA but don't want to do "The Steps" anymore

Old 08-06-2013, 11:26 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

15 years sober and they sit in darkened rooms with the blinds shut, trembling and crying about amends they are still making.
I noticed you pointed this out a couple of times Desperado. It sounds like you are not crazy about a particular group or some people in it. I always suggest trying lots of different meetings because they are quite different.

I am solid AA but last year I left a group I was with for over 3 years. Too small room, too big egos. But I go to 2 other groups with a very different atmosphere. I quit on my sponsor. Irreconcilable differences, but we are still friends. I still find some of the steps difficult to grasp and quite honestly I haven't completed some of them very them very thoroughly. Do I think the program is perfect? No, I think the BB has outdated language: when I read the title to the "Chapter to the Wives", I silently correct it and say "Chapter to the family and friends".

But I still go, imperfect as the program is, imperfect as the people are in it, and imperfect as I am.

And, having said all that, I always encourage people to find another program if they aren't happy with AA. "AA isn't for everyone". My sponsor said that. And it's really true.

If you find something else that works and helps you maintain sobriety, then that's the whole point, right? Staying sober?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:01 AM
  # 82 (permalink)  
Memberado

Hi Hcatoni,

Thanks!

Yeah, I will definitely keep going to meetings! I totally recognize that they were what made me stop drinking in the first place. So Have no plans on stopping.

Maybe I just need to look for a sponsor I can relate better to? Though many are those who warn me right now: Don't be without a sponsor for any period of time!

Originally Posted by hcatoni723 View Post
Keep going to meetings desperado. It took awhile for me to feel a sense of connectedness but once you find someone you can relate to and get real honest with yourself life does get easier. I was so full of paranoia and self loathing I thought that there was nothing left to do but kill myself which I tried and failed thank God. Now that I'm clean I no longer fear much of anything and the self hatred is resolving. You have to practice positive affirmations every day which is difficult in the beginning and gets easier as time goes on and you heal in all areas. Take care and hang in there.

Sent from my iPhone using SoberRecovery
Old 08-07-2013, 02:06 AM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Memberado

Nattythreads,

Hey you! Thanks for that insight!

What you wrote reminds me that I DO see people in the program, who "treat it just as another tool" in sobriety. Maybe I should start using it like that too and start doing some reading on my own hand as many here have suggested. Thanks!

I guess I am just very sensitive to other people's opinions about me. And so I start questioning myself right away when someone says I am not doing it right!

Originally Posted by Nattythreads View Post
Here's just a personal thing, DB. Doing the steps didn't fix me. I didnt expect it too. What it did do was increase my comfort level within AA/NA if that makes sense. I had a sponsor who took me through them in two weeks and just said lets get this done. Before that I questioned everything and anything about the program. But in hindsight and as you note there, I was the problem and not the program.

Having been through the steps, I almost feel a level of belonging and acceptance I didn't allow myself before. Now I happily ignore anyone who tells me Im not working it properly. I go to meetings when I choose and I take out of it what I want. By lessening the be-all and end-all approach to it, It has now become just another tool available to me in my quest to stay clean and sober.

Best of luck to you

NT
Old 08-07-2013, 02:13 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  
Memberado

DoubleBarrel,

Alright!

I think I will just keep going to meetings and give the steps a rest for now. I'll wait for the willingness to do them to come (back). If it doesn't, then I guess I'll just be one of those stepless AAers.

I talked about this in a meeting and an oldtimer did come up to me after and said: It is YOUR recovery.

I love that you consider yourself recovered.

Originally Posted by DoubleBarrel View Post
If other people try to **** on your recovery, by suggesting that unless you follow their version of the program, (lest you fall into despair, begin drinking again, or become a "dry drunk", whatever that means) and you feel secure in your sobriety, IGNORE THEM.

They are just the same flawed drunks as everyone else, and they have no magic powers.

Do what works, leave the rest. If doing the steps stresses you out, and you end up drinking over it, thats not helpful, is it.

Ive been sober almost a year, and have gone to a couple meetings.

I talk to friends who are "in recovery" weekly, but I consider myself recovered.

I do some steps, because I think they make me a better person, but I have no sponsor.

I guess what I'm saying is, there are some people that I think are dangerous to let inside your head with a bunch of negativity.

If what you are doing is working for you, keep doing that. And only you really know honestly if you are deceiving yourself, and listening to that voice that wants you to drink, or if you are on the right path.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:23 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  
Memberado

Tomsteve,

I see your point but you do sound like one of those extremist BB thumpers nonetheless!
Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
"Could I just stick to the latter strategy? "

yer free to do whatever ya want.

if you don't want to get rid of all the baggage of yer past, that's yer choice. if ya don't want to find out what makes ya tick and the exact nature of yer wrongs, and change, that's yer choice.

sounds pretty insane to me, but its yer choice.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:24 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Memberado

Well,

may I ask you how good of a program you are running yourself? Since when is it OK to take someone else's "inventory"?

Originally Posted by tomsteve View Post
some of us have tried to hold onto our old ideas and the result was nil until we let go absolutely.

readin more of yer posts, it reads like ya got nil results by just not drinking.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  
Memberado

Yeah, we do! Staying sober!

However, going to meetings lifted my obsession and attending very regularly has worked against the drinking desire (I've had 2 or maximum 3 instances when I have wanted to "pick up" during these past 9 months.)

Originally Posted by Mark75 View Post
So...um, looks like you don't need anyone to convince you otherwise.

AA is not the only way, but we both know where the priority should be.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:28 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Administrator

DB

you asked for input.

some opinions you'll like, some you won't.
Use the ignore function if you find some opinions or posters unreasonable.

let's everyone keep it cool

D
Old 08-07-2013, 02:33 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  
Memberado

Iegna,

I don't see the relevance of this, but thanks for commenting.

Originally Posted by legna View Post
Often we talk about the success rate of early AA's in hallowed whispers: 50%, 75%, even 92%, and there is always the oft quoted, "Rarely have we seen a person fail..."

I have been a member of AA since 1978 and it has been my belief, based on observation, that the reason for the early success and the discrepancy with todays rates of success, have been rooted in the changing demographics of AA. In the early days of AA, the only people who walked through the door were low bottom alcoholics of the hopeless variety. They walked in desperate and talked to another alcoholic that could identify with them completely.

AA worked, in my opinion, because they did one thing and they did it very well - help hopeless alcoholics. In fact, AA's Singleness of Purpose is a principle derived from the Fifth Tradition and refuses membership to non-alcoholic addicts specifically with the intent to avoid trying to become all things to all people and ruining, or watering down, the program as a result. In my opinion, AA has failed in their singleness of purpose.

Today, the word 'alcoholic' has come to encompass alcoholics, problem drinkers, potential problem drinkers and probably people who are genetically predisposed to becoming an alcoholic soon after their first drink that they haven't taken yet. (<--meant as humor rather than biting sarcasm) So here we have a skid row alcoholic of fifty years being asked to sponsor a thirteen year old boy who the courts, in their infinite wisdom, decided to send to AA. The sponsor tells the boy what his sponsor told him, counting on the desperation he knows an alcoholic must feel - and the boy is only desperate to get the juvenile court and his parents off his back. It's a bad fit.

Rather than having hopeless alcoholic carrying the message to hopeless alcoholic, we now have hopeless alcoholic carrying a message that would work 50%, 75% or even 92% of the time with another hopeless alcoholic - carrying the message to a potential alcoholic, a problem drinker, a potential problem drinker, etc. Likewise, if that thirteen year old kid decided not to pick up and stick around and acquire some sober time and carries tries to carry a message of hope to a low bottom drunk, it's not going to take. The sense of urgency, desperation and identification just isn't going to be there.

AA refused membership to hopeless dope fiends because "it just isn't the same" and, I believe, they were right to do so. But a hopeless dope fiend (again, in my opinion) has much more in common with a hopeless drunk than a hopeless drunk has with the majority of people coming in to AA today and identifying as an alcoholic.

To the OP, honestly, I have no idea what is the right path for you. I do wish you well in your journey.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  
Memberado

Hi Sobersunshine!

Thanks!

Yeah, you are perhaps right!

I think I will just wait for the willingness to work the steps to return. Acceptance is the key and so right now I'll accept that I don't have the willingness to work the steps at this moment.

Originally Posted by Sobersunshine View Post
Desperado, I got all hung up on the steps at first, too. Didn't want to do the hard ones, then I wanted to make sure I did them "perfectly." then my sponsor kept bugging me, so I just did most of them in one night and it was done. After that I really felt I could move forward and I felt more connected to my AA group. I'm glad I did them and it has really helped me, especially letting go of guilt and resentments. I don't get all hung up on them though. You certainly dont need the steps to stay sober, or to be in AA. But why not just give it a whirl, even if you heart isn't totally in it, even if it is just "jumping through a hoop." the results may just surprise you! I got much more out of the steps than I ever thought I would.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:39 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
Memberado

Hi Linnie!

Congrats on 8 days!!!!!!!!!!!! That is major!

You know what, even though I don't like the steps, I still HIGHLY recommend the meetings!

I managed to stop drinking because I started going to meetings every day. Met tons of wonderful, supportive people who I could/can call and talk and relate to. And of course they all say, call me BEFORE you pick up. I've done that once... they'll talk you off the ledge.

The meetings are usually pretty great. Give it a shot if you are curious I say!

Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
Thank you so much for this post!!! I have ZERO interest in AA for the same reason! Step 9? No thank you. I have a lot of support from friends and my husband. I'm only on day 8 and if I can't hack it, I'll definitely go to AA (clearly my way won't have worked), but I'd rather try it with the help of this forum and my friends and family first. I'm ok with being a "dry drunk" as long as I never drink again. It's better than being a wet drunk hot mess!
Old 08-07-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  
Memberado

The part about Step 9 that I can't stomach is where you are supposed to make amends for situations in which you were wronged (supposedly you still have to make amends for any later retaliation you may be responsible for).

One example: I once got illegally fired from a job. I had a horrible boss who was trying to force me to sign a contract without letting me read it... it was all a mess. AND I should have sued (which I didn't). Yet, all the step lover people tell me: OOOOOOH, that is a wonderful opportunity to be humble and go back and apologize to your old boss! Surely you had a part in what was going on! It's a wonderful and liberating experience when you apologize for your part in that situation!

Read my lips: w o n ' t e v e r h a p p e n !

Originally Posted by Linnie View Post
I should clarify: I am disinterested in the 9th step because I have always been vigilant in making amends the day after any infraction. To go back to those people and dredge up things from years past for which I've already been forgiven for the sake of completing an assignment seems counterproductive. I don't mean to sound like I'm unwilling to admit fault or make amends. I am very very willing to admit wrongdoing and to grovel for forgiveness immediately afterward. It seems redundant to do it again. Also I'm a practicing Catholic, so I don't need to find God or have someone coach me to turn my problems over to Him. I pray, hard and often. I go to confession and get absolution and counseling from my priest. I honestly feel forgiven and have forgiven myself and the thought of reliving all those things I've done and all the ways I've embarrassed myself makes me feel depressed and anxious. I think I'll stick to focusing on the positive and relying on God to give me strength without having to prove to someone else that I'm doing it.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:53 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Memberado

Hey Dee!

You are 100% right!

I am ok with all the input I've been given.

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
DB

you asked for input.

some opinions you'll like, some you won't.
Use the ignore function if you find some opinions or posters unreasonable.

let's everyone keep it cool

D
Old 08-07-2013, 03:39 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Originally Posted by DesperadoBlond View Post
I think I will just keep going to meetings and give the steps a rest for now. I'll wait for the willingness to do them to come (back). If it doesn't, then I guess I'll just be one of those stepless AAers.

I talked about this in a meeting and an oldtimer did come up to me after and said: It is YOUR recovery..
I believe that everyone takes their own journey when it comes to their recovery. I have been going to AA, and other recovery programs for the last year and I have just decided recently that I want to do the AA steps. I found someone who has been in the program for quite a while and she is going to help me with them.

I didn't do them before as I wasn't sure if AA was for me, even though I kept going. I personally don't think I could have done them honestly or with an open mind in the beginning. But this is a decision I had to make in my own time, not someone elses.

It isn't up to me to judge how or when someone does the steps. Or whether they do them at all. At the end of the day it is up to them.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:50 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

a few thoughts...

The purpose of a sponsor is to lead someone through the steps. If a sponsee tells their sponsor they aren't going to do the steps, then there is no point in that person remaining their sponsor, because they don't need a sponsor.

If a person has no amends to make, they don't have to invent any just so they can say they did Step 9. The program is about honesty, it there honestly are no needed amends, then on to Step 10.

In the program we are encouraged to share OUR experience, strength and hope. When people start to say "you" rather than "I" something is out of line, then they are trying to control another person's experience.

The steps have nothing to do with winning approval from anyone, though many find them useful in gaining perspective and acceptance of themselves, and the world around them.

The point of principles before personalities is because it is recognized that often individual opinions and personalities cloud what the program is really about. It's about an individual person, examining their individual life, and making changes that help them learn to live sober. It is often a human tendency to "take another's inventory" which is why we are so often reminded to turn our attention, once again to ourselves and our own program.

That is one of the real challenges for many, to tune out personalities, not get distracted by other people's agendas and work their own program to their own advantage. It can be very challenging to not get hung up on outside issues...ie..other people's issues.

12 step programs are not for everyone, but I have found it useful in my own life that if I am trying to learn a language I don't get hung up on other peoples accents, I focus on the grammar of the language itself.
Old 08-07-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  
Memberado

Alright, we seem to be on the same page more or less I guess.

As for telling my sponsor I don't want to do the steps. The only step I have told him I am not going to do is 9. I told him that on the very first day we talked and he said: there is a reason why there are 8 steps before 9. Don't think about 9 right now. Let's work the other ones before.

And so fast forward to today. My working the steps has stalled and my sponsor has made it clear that there's nothing to talk about if I don't do step work...

So, as you point out, I guess I shouldn't have a sponsor then. Either way, at this point my stance is that I will leave him alone. At the moment I don't have the willingness to keep writing more inventories on the 4th step. It's dragged on for 6 months (yes, my own fault!) and now my next inventory (a part of the 4th step) is a list of 140 people that need to be "inventoried". I have no willingness to deal with that.

So, I guess I will leave my sponsor alone and wait for the willingness to return.

Sometimes quickly, sometimes slowly?

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
a few thoughts...

The purpose of a sponsor is to lead someone through the steps. If a sponsee tells their sponsor they aren't going to do the steps, then there is no point in that person remaining their sponsor, because they don't need a sponsor.

If a person has no amends to make, they don't have to invent any just so they can say they did Step 9. The program is about honesty, it there honestly are no needed amends, then on to Step 10.

In the program we are encouraged to share OUR experience, strength and hope. When people start to say "you" rather than "I" something is out of line, then they are trying to control another person's experience.

The steps have nothing to do with winning approval from anyone, though many find them useful in gaining perspective and acceptance of themselves, and the world around them.

The point of principles before personalities is because it is recognized that often individual opinions and personalities cloud what the program is really about. It's about an individual person, examining their individual life, and making changes that help them learn to live sober. It is often a human tendency to "take another's inventory" which is why we are so often reminded to turn our attention, once again to ourselves and our own program.

That is one of the real challenges for many, to tune out personalities, not get distracted by other people's agendas and work their own program to their own advantage. It can be very challenging to not get hung up on outside issues...ie..other people's issues.

12 step programs are not for everyone, but I have found it useful in my own life that if I am trying to learn a language I don't get hung up on other peoples accents, I focus on the grammar of the language itself.
Old 08-07-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi DesperadoBlond, Congrats on the 6 months, that rocks!

I had a hard time with this too (I'm currently on step 4 getting ready to write)

Especially Step 9 after you "resolutely only look for your own part and ignore the other's wrong doing". I mean - come on. I have no inclination to do that.
I don't profess to positively know the underlying message in that statement. However, as I traverse deeper into the world of AA and begin to put the pieces of the puzzle together the picture is slowly coming into focus. What once seemed completely ludicrous to me is starting to make sense because I'm learning to understand it.

At first when I read and heard that statement I thought "Hey, wait a minute, you're telling me that I have to relieve others of their fault in what they have done to me and only lay blame on myself?"

On the contrary, to me, the true message is "You can't change others, they are going to be who they are going to be. However, the most powerful and positive affect that you can have is to search your soul for who you are and what you might have done differently to bring about a different outcome". If someone has wronged me and I am holding that anger hostage within me I need to find a way to release it. Focusing on them is not going to fix the problem.

"Resolutely look for you own part" does not mean "Admit that what happened is ALL your fault" it means "Be honest with yourself about the situation and do what you need to get past it, you can't fix THEM, but YOU can fix YOU".

I hope that helps and I hope that you give this program a chance. I'm still new to sobriety, 72 days in and more importantly for me, 10 full weekends with no alcohol. As I attend and take part in AA more, what I am experiencing is far more than a tool to help me achieve sobriety. It's forced me to look at my own faults and to stop blaming others for everything that's ever happened to me. It doesn't mean that they weren't wrong. I just can't change them. I can only change me. With that being said:

It has granted me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, to change the things that I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

That entire statement ties together directly with what your quote means, at least for me.

I hope that helps.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:00 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

Originally Posted by DesperadoBlond View Post
Alright, we seem to be on the same page more or less I guess.

As for telling my sponsor I don't want to do the steps. The only step I have told him I am not going to do is 9. I told him that on the very first day we talked and he said: there is a reason why there are 8 steps before 9. Don't think about 9 right now. Let's work the other ones before.

And so fast forward to today. My working the steps has stalled and my sponsor has made it clear that there's nothing to talk about if I don't do step work...
It is true, the steps are in order for a reason. We can't really know who, what, where or why until we get there. It's hard to be willing to do something we don't understand. I found that even my own expectations of myself were often unreasonable. Returning to my "learning a new language" metaphor. Reading and stressing over the advanced lessons when I was just starting out wasn't going to get me anything but stressed, nervous and overwhelmed. your mileage may vary.

I have no idea or opinion on whether or not you should have a sponsor. Just bringing up what I learned in 12 step program. A sponsor is there to help us work the steps. If I'm not working the steps...Again with my "learning a new language" metaphor, if I am not going to study and put time into learning the language myself, why keep a teacher around expecting them to tutor me,they may as well be spending their energy on someone who is being proactive.

All the other folks are there to talk, take calls, and be supportive, that's awesome, but the role of a sponsor, to my understanding, is to guide stepwork. No harm, no foul. I can have a support network in the program but that does not have to include a sponsor.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Memberado

Alright!

Thanks for that!

So, after all this feedback, I think I'm now clear about what to do:

I'll keep going to meetings - obviously. I'll stay in touch with my support network - obviously.

I'll leave my sponsor alone for now. I guess I didn't understand in the beginning that my relationship with him was strictly conditional. He has urged me to call anytime, good days, bad days... but I guess that doesn't apply anymore when one stalls in one's step work.

And I'll wait for the willingness to work the steps to return.

I guess staying sober and helping another alcoholic is the primary purpose of this all. And I think I am doing that. So, all is good and I don't need to stress.

Originally Posted by Threshold View Post
It is true, the steps are in order for a reason. We can't really know who, what, where or why until we get there. It's hard to be willing to do something we don't understand. I found that even my own expectations of myself were often unreasonable. Returning to my "learning a new language" metaphor. Reading and stressing over the advanced lessons when I was just starting out wasn't going to get me anything but stressed, nervous and overwhelmed. your mileage may vary.

I have no idea or opinion on whether or not you should have a sponsor. Just bringing up what I learned in 12 step program. A sponsor is there to help us work the steps. If I'm not working the steps...Again with my "learning a new language" metaphor, if I am not going to study and put time into learning the language myself, why keep a teacher around expecting them to tutor me,they may as well be spending their energy on someone who is being proactive.

All the other folks are there to talk, take calls, and be supportive, that's awesome, but the role of a sponsor, to my understanding, is to guide stepwork. No harm, no foul. I can have a support network in the program but that does not have to include a sponsor.
Old 08-07-2013, 05:43 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

i think there might be something in there that you dont want to talk about or address.
That is my opinion anyway.
And in my case that was the story. The more I didnt want to do the work there was something i needed to tell.
my sponsor doesnt let me have lee way though.
step swtudy every six months