Notices

Just got suspended from work and freaking out.

Old 07-29-2013, 07:53 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

You'll make it through this!!! If you take action right now, it may move you from a place of worry to power. Write down solutions, call people, etc. there's a solution out there, a better job, the solution is waiting for you to find it. Being fired was the best thing that ever happened to me and so many others. Change what you are telling yourself, you have more power over yourself than you realize. Hang tough, you can do this!
Old 07-29-2013, 08:06 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

=walkingwithgod;4095224When asked about whether the firing related to a drinking problem you answered "No"
This gives you some wiggle room. Your suspension, you say, was not related to drinking. The second question is whether you think that you have a drinking problem. If you do, then I submit that dealing with that should be your first priority. Nothing else, not the mortgage, the money problems, nothing is as important as dealing with the drinking problem.
If there is no drinking problem then having been fired is not the end of the world. Lots of people are fired. Some rightly, some wrongly. Eventually most of them get new jobs. Be aggressive. Perhaps a conference with your former employer to arrange an understanding that you'll go peacefully if they cooperate in giving you a good reference. Then an aggressive search for new opportunities. Have faith in yourself. Treat this as a learning experience. Never give in. You can do this. Good luck.

W.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:35 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Are you close to Boston? If you are I know of a great place to make money, work is fun and easy. Tried to pm you but your box is full.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:15 AM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Done_With_It View Post
Are you close to Boston? If you are I know of a great place to make money, work is fun and easy. Tried to pm you but your box is full.
Try again
Old 07-30-2013, 02:16 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

I have been up all night, this is too much to take.
Old 07-30-2013, 02:45 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Administrator

I've spent sleepless nights worrying about things too WWG - ultimately it solves nothing.

you can let yourself go under here and surrender to your fear or you can fight for yourself and your family.

I believe you're stronger than you know. Add your wife, and your faith, and your love for your child into the mix and you're titanium

Make a good choice

D
Old 07-30-2013, 03:12 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I've spent sleepless nights worrying about things too WWG - ultimately it solves nothing.

you can let yourself go under here and surrender to your fear or you can fight for yourself and your family.

I believe you're stronger than you know. Add your wife, and your faith, and your love for your child into the mix and you're titanium

Make a good choice

D
I'm so scared. Day 126 sober and I want to give up. I lost my very good job, bills are high. I see no hope. My wife and daughter deserve better.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:13 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  
Life Goes On

WWG,

You ARE stronger than you give yourself credit for. Remember how afraid you were that you'd never get sober? You did that! Remember how scared you were to go to that first meeting? You did that!

That you have pushed through your overwhelming anxieties over the past year to accomplish those things you so badly want and need to do is an inspiration to me. You help me to see that I just need to keep trying - no matter whether I think I have the strength or not. Seriously, man.

I spent years in my last job worrying about what would happen if I lost it. As the sole support of three children, it was bone-crushing scary to me. Eventually that thing came to pass and it was a major blow. But I had no choice. I had to pick myself up and start over. Wait, I had a choice, but to me the only true course was to choose to move forward. Not doing so was simply not an option.

You are a good and courageous man, despite what your brain is telling you. Take some time to feel what you feel right now, that's ok. Just don't let your head convince you this blow is anything more than losing a job. You know?

I don't pray, per se, but I'm holding you in my heart, WWG. I believe in you.

Sent from my iPod touch using SoberRecovery
Old 07-30-2013, 03:36 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

I'm so sorry. That is sooo stressful. I've been in similiar situatations of fearing my job security. Only mine had to do with drinking. Hang in there and keep your head up. Try not to let things that are out of your control get in the way of your sobriety. Keep us updated and good luck
Old 07-30-2013, 03:42 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I applied for unemployment benefits, hopefully that will be approved. I have applied for a few jobs. But, I'm scared to do something new. I can't believe I lost my job. I'm going to call the mortgage company and see if there is anything they can do. I'm not strong enough.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:52 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  
~sb

You are strong and you are walking with god which means you can keep moving forward.

Sending love, hugs, and prayers your way
Old 07-30-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 92 (permalink)  

WWG,
You are taking the right steps....filing for unemployment and contacting your mortgage company. See? You're doing it....moving forward. Consider contacting all your creditors to reduce payments......always best to contact them first, rather than letting bills pile up.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:14 AM
  # 93 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
I'm not strong enough.
Of course you are.

You have got to combat these negative thoughts. Your posts in this thread abound with negativity and they are more defeating than your situation is. You may not feel strong, but you have to be strong. You are a husband, a father. Those are your most important roles. You family needs you to be strong. Draw on the inner strength that got you sober.

You can do this. Thousands do, every day, many in worse predicaments.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:26 AM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Of course you are.

You have got to combat these negative thoughts. Your posts in this thread abound with negativity and they are more defeating than your situation is. You may not feel strong, but you have to be strong. You are a husband, a father. Those are your most important roles. You family needs you to be strong. Draw on the inner strength that got you sober.

You can do this. Thousands do, every day, many in worse predicaments.
WWG...you are receiving lots of good advice on this thread..Please stop for a moment, step back, breath, and focus on positive steps...

Jim
Old 07-30-2013, 06:40 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Hi WWG, I've experienced something similar. A year and a half ago, I lost my very high paying job of 15 years. I was fired due to getting a DUI. I went to rehab, relapsed multiple times almost dying a couple times. Funny, drinking not only didn't solve my unemployment problem, it made things much, much worse. I'm still not working, finances are getting tight but I'm sober. I'm making sobriety number one and figure the rest will work itself out.

Do I have anxiety? Sure! I don't want to lose the home I've been paying for for 21 years! But drinking about it will not solve the problem, it will only make it worse.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:42 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

I want to be positive, and then my embarrassment and fear take over.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:47 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

I went through something similar. It took some time, but I found an even better job, and I adore what I do. I was embarrassed, crushed, worried, scared, everything you're feeling right now, but made it through. There are worse things..for me, I continued to drink. It extended the time it took to find another job by months, I'm blessed that I was never fired from this job too.. but if I hadn't been fired from the first job, I never would have found this one, and it's SO much better. You'll be ok.

ETA: you may not get unemployment benefits, there are rules about who is eligible, I was not (because the termination was a direct result of my actions, not a layoff, etc).
Old 07-30-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

Don't be embarrassed for making a mistake and being unable to rectify with the previous company. Most unemployment offices also will help you with job counseling and they have the resources to help you find a job in your field.

my neighbor found her new job through them, and it was not a low salary. Take a breath, try to eat a light breakfast and start exploring your options on line. make some calls to people you know.

move past the mistakes and don't bury yourself in worry.

try to watch this movie.."The Company Men" with Ben Affleck and Kevin Costner. i've seen it on cable last year, it's good and you can relate to parts of it.
Old 07-30-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 99 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
I want to be positive, and then my embarrassment and fear take over.
And that's normal. I feel it from time to time. The fear manifests itself as a hollow sick feeling in my stomach. I start projecting bad things into the future. I pray and find I feel better. I go to a meeting. I realize there are people much worse off than me who are sober and are actually happy.

Try to relax, practice gratitude and see what God has in store for you.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

PM me if you wish to talk or let off steam. I have been there twice and felt the same both times. You have a great tool of being sober to help you through this now. And support here and at home.

hang in there!