Notices

Just got suspended from work and freaking out.

Old 07-29-2013, 06:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just got suspended from work and freaking out.

I walked into work after being on vacation, and was suspended without pay. I made some mistakes at work and they are reviewing them at this time. I'm scared, want to drink. I am panicking about losing my house etc. I am sober and mistakes from the past have caught up to me.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

oh boy, i was there at one point.it took along time for past mistakes to clear up.

Drinking wont help the matter, so call someone or keep typing.
Sometimes we have to learn from our mistakes as well.

We are here
Old 07-29-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

WWG, I'm walking this road right beside you. Since (and partially because of) my last drink, I've been to jail, have two upcoming court dates, got wrote up at work, started treatment again, started counseling, got threatened to be fined until I move out, and, worst of all, had my kids removed from my custody.

My life is in shambles; it's because of my drinking. I'd love to escape this misery, but now that it has all caught up with me, looks like I have to face it instead of escape from it. Hope you can do the same. Good luck.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Do you have an EAP (employee assistance program)? A union? Maybe you could call them and see how they can help. If you are involved in a program of recovery, many times you'll be given a chance to make good.

Love from Lenina
Old 07-29-2013, 07:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Oh no WWG *hugs*

I don't know how things work over there, do you have a contract? A personnel department? A union? Over here (UK) we have a body called ACAS that helps employees who think they have been treated unfairly or in breach of contract. Is there anything like that in the US.

Wishing you the best of luck, you have come so far, you can get through this.
Old 07-29-2013, 07:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lenina View Post
Do you have an EAP (employee assistance program)? A union? Maybe you could call them and see how they can help. If you are involved in a program of recovery, many times you'll be given a chance to make good.

Love from Lenina
same thoughts
Old 07-29-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Oh I'm sorry to hear this WWG. Suspended...that sounds as though they may be an investigation of some sort pending? It wasn't an outright dismissal. That may give you an opportunity to speak in your own defence. I agree, in England, the best course of action would be to consult your union if you have one. Give them all the details.

Whatever happens....DO NOT DRINK. There is nothing here that you can't get over. However difficult things seem right now, there will be a solution UNLESS YOU DRINK.

Hold on tight, you can get through this x
Old 07-29-2013, 08:27 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I made a few errors at work, regarding timeliness of inputting financials into claims. I missed some, but was going to take care of it when time allowed. I made the mistake, but scared what will happen. I talked to HR, and them they asked me to leave as they investigate. I feel sick.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

WWG,
Please do not drink...it won't help anything. You mentioned you've spoken with HR. I'd be very professional with them, ask if there is information you can provide to resolve the issue, and let them know you're motivated for a timely resolution and return to work.

Just DON"T DRINK......it will only make the situation worse. Hang in there - hugs.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:39 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Yes, do not drink! And don't lie during the investigation. Be honest, and as Pondlady said, be professional. People are human and mistakes happen sometimes. See if you can figure out a reasonable and professional way to make it right.

Please keep us posted.

Love from Lenina
Old 07-29-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Without knowing much of the information of your situation, all I can say is drinking or using will not make the situation any better. However, most of the times with finances, a lot of companies want to make sure that theft or embezzlement was not the cause of error. If this was not the case, this might merely be proper procedure as they investigate. When I was drinking or using, I was the worst at deadlines or punctuality. If this was the reasons for the errors, i'm sure they'll warn you and you'll move on from there. I hope this eases your mind.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:56 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear this WWG. Drinking will absolutely not help or solve anything related to this issue. I know you can face it head on. Control what you can control, like giving them time to do the investigation, speaking on your own behalf in a professional manner, committing to improvement. Accept what they find in their investigation and accept the outcome. Acceptance will give you a fresh starting point. I know it's hard but try not to get too far ahead of yourself.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:06 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I talked to HR, and my manager this morning. I explained that I was sorry, and didn't do anything illegal. I was overwhelmed and got behind on certain things. I've been there 5 years, and never written up. I am scared of losing my home and salary.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

WWG can they definitely suspend you without pay? Are they within their rights to do this? To me this would be the first avenue to explore before you start struggling for money. They have an HR dept which is good, have you had previous warnings? Verbal? Written? Sorry I don't know the laws in the US, but this seems extremely harsh.

Keep strong, we'll get you through this.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:15 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyTimeNow View Post
WWG can they definitely suspend you without pay? Are they within their rights to do this? To me this would be the first avenue to explore before you start struggling for money. They have an HR dept which is good, have you had previous warnings? Verbal? Written? Sorry I don't know the laws in the US, but this seems extremely harsh.

Keep strong, we'll get you through this.
Never been in trouble before, but at my company we are all at-will employees. I am so embarrassed. I need prayers. I finally get sober than this happens.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:16 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

WWG, I know it is so hard right now but just try to take care of today. Don't try to look too far ahead to what "might" happen. We alcoholics are great at trying to predict the future. I was right where you are at 6-7 months ago. Like everyone else stated, be honest, be professional, be open and be present. Stay in today as best you can, remember you are Walking With God!!
Old 07-29-2013, 09:21 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Matt....Jim here....Things will work themselves out buddy...You have to believe that.

Do NOT drink... For you and you family do NOT drink....

PM me....I will listen, give support whatever, but do NOT let your av use this as an excuse.

you CAN get through this.

Jim
Old 07-29-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Where I used to work was "at will" as well. However, we had an HR department and a personnel manual that outlined disciplinary steps. First a verbal warning, then written, then suspension, then termination. They could only suspend or terminate immediately if the offense was egregious such as lying or stealing.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
Where I used to work was "at will" as well. However, we had an HR department and a personnel manual that outlined disciplinary steps. First a verbal warning, then written, then suspension, then termination. They could only suspend or terminate immediately if the offense was egregious such as lying or stealing.
I didn't lie or steal. I just gave other thing more priority. I hate myself so much. I love my job, and hate this feeling of not knowing.
Old 07-29-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by walkingwithgod View Post
Never been in trouble before, but at my company we are all at-will employees. I am so embarrassed. I need prayers. I finally get sober than this happens.
We're all here with you. No need to be embarrassed, deal with everything factually and calmly. I don't understand the at-will reference, I'm guessing that means you have no comeback through contract etc?

What about the EAP that another poster mentioned? A Union? Nobody should be left without an income.

I don't pray, but I've just looked up to the same sun you see and said - don't do this to WWG. Not now. Sending you hope, hugs and positivity across the ocean.