Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

I'm desperate to get back my old life, but the withdrawal symptoms make it HELL!

Notices

I'm desperate to get back my old life, but the withdrawal symptoms make it HELL!

Old 06-21-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

No, I haven't. Hot showers, but not baths. I haven't taken a bath since I was a little kid. The first time I took a shower, I never looked back. Just not my idea of relaxation. Thank you for the advice though. I've found quite a bit of help on here and useful advice. It seems to be helping me get through this. Still only a few days in though, I'm not getting cocky.
Old 06-22-2013, 12:31 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I was just gonna say that. Hot baths for sure. Potassium as well. If you made it to day 5 you've got this. Get your ass to a meeting and know that you never have to use again.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I've been searching on google for NA meetings in my area but haven't found anything. This is day 4. Got some sleep late this morning into the afternoon. That felt good, but now that I'm up and awake I feel a little sick to my stomach and anxious. I h8 that I did this to myself.
Old 06-22-2013, 02:53 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hi bc!,
i have to say; as i was reading your post and, you got to the h... I was saying to myself "oh' no!"..... I have used all the things you talked about just (not h) and it is such hell to come off of. I would go see a dr.
When i was withdrawing i had to go to the e.r...with no ins. (fyi) i got treated like a piece of s***. Everything from people talking, to the dr. Making fun of me. So if you go there....just know that. If you have a dr., i would try and level with them. Remember; you can change "everything" you can.
Old 06-22-2013, 05:05 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Maybe read about the "Thomas method"?. At least i think thats what its called. I am grateful that I do not get those withdrawals anymore. My mental state is jacked though. Suboxone was my way out of that. After reading the stories of others being addicted to it just as bad I was careful to taper and get off it after 6 months. It gave me strength, dignity and financial freedom back and then I was in a serious head on collision that caused part of my vertebrae (sp?) to slide out. And we all know what they give for that kind of pain. So I was right back on the Vicodin. I am happy to say that I do feel a little crappy without them but its the mental addiction and triggers that keep dragging me back. So here I sit at day 1 again. Best of luck to you! You can do it and cold turkey is probably best. Try googling what I told you and see if any of the coping methods contained in it will help.
Old 06-22-2013, 06:04 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BurningCold View Post
I've been searching on google for NA meetings in my area but haven't found anything.
Hope this link works, from NA.ORG

NA Meeting Search

All the best.

Bob R
Old 06-22-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

This is day 4, almost 5... The worst of the physical symptoms seem to be over for me. Granted I seem to get sick to my stomach from time to time, and my knees hurt from the arthritis, but that I can deal with. My three biggest issues remaining are anxiety, depression, and... I can't sleep at all/or very well when I do. And let me tell you, after 48 hours of no sleep, I was starting to lose it. Luckily I fell asleep for a few hours this afternoon. As I sit here now typing this, I just have that anxious/depressed feeling. Which I'm not used to feeling, and is very uncomfortable for me. As I said before, I'm ashamed of what I did to myself, so I don't talk about it to friends or family. Which has left me feeling alone in this. I'd really like to get to a meeting and sit down with others that are dealing with or have dealt with this problem. So, thanks to you Bob, I'm going to check out that link. I will keep you all updated, and... THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR SUPPORT. Your support combined with my resolution to beat this has resulted in me detoxing longer than I ever have before...
Old 06-23-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I have a question. Over the past two days I have noticed my sense of smell and my hearing seem to be working overtime. Is this my imagination? Or did the opiate use dull my senses and now they are coming back? At first I thought I was losing my mind. Reason being I could hear a chirping noise coming from our basement today while I was upstairs on the opposite side of the house. No one else could hear it. At first I dismissed it as my imagination or another wd symptom. But I started hearing it again and decided to go looking. Sure enough, a fan we keep on down in the basement was making the noise as it would rotate. My second example was from late this afternoon. I decided to go for a swim, while I was out there I smelled something rotten. I went in the house, had others come out by the pool. No one could smell it, while to me it was an overwhelming scent. Again, I investigated. And again, I found the source. On the back side of the pool, between it and our fence was a dead, rotting rabbit. I shoveled it up into a garbage bag and went back out. Smell was gone. Have I developed super powers? Or am I losing my mind? Is it a sign of recovery? I can't sleep, so I figured I'd get on here and run it past you guys.
Old 06-23-2013, 06:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Today is day 5. I haven't been able to sleep for the last 28 hours. It's wearing me down. I was hoping things would start to improve. They aren't though. The diarrhea came back today as well. I have to force food down and have no apetite at all. I'm desperate for relief. Does anyone know the average time insomnia lasts?
Old 06-23-2013, 08:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

When I detoxes (from alcohol ) it was killer for lack of sleep.
About the time you are I just hit the pillow and slept.
It would be up all night tossing turning and SWEATING then nod off for a few hours and wake up a little better.

You body is anxious , wants its routine what you have likely fed it daily for a while.
I honestly fell asleep more than a few nights by reading posts here. On my phone or tablet, reading every newcomer posting till my eyes got heavy and I passed out.
Reading anything will help I bet, takes your mind off if the million thinks its running to as well.

Good luck, hang in there and maybe have some hot water, or sleepy time tea, read some SR or a book and try to NOT think of not sleeping
Old 06-23-2013, 08:56 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

BurningCold,

Hang in there! It will get better. When I cold turkeyed I went through the same thing only my choice was crystal. Taking the vitamins will help your body cope with the w/d symptoms. Don't give up! I know it is really hard when the body pain kicks in, man I thought I had be run over by a freight train in slow motion!

It gets better and you are doing it. Chicken broth too will help here and there to get your body some nourishment, and I could swear by the st. john's wart! It helps with the depression and crazy mood swings. You are doing great, the physical worst is on its way out and trust me when I say...you are so much stronger than you will ever know. Do not be ashamed. In life we make choices and then we make better ones. I am proud of you! Keep it up and keep posting!
Old 06-24-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Day 6. I feel like day 1 or 2. Horrible stomach pain, diarrhea, headache, and anxiety. Can't sleep well at all. Haven't eaten in 24 hours. This is horrible.
Old 06-24-2013, 12:33 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

BurningCold, you are doing AMAZING. Seven days ago you were so desperate to not feel anything that you were will to try a drug that would have most certainly lead you down a path of destruction and now you have six days under your belt. Early withdrawals are the worst, and the lack of sleep is what drives me back to drinking half the time. It's like it's the only thing that can calm my mind down long enough to fall asleep, at least that's what I've told myself. Truthfully, I'm just so drunk that I'm passing out. Even getting 10 hours of that kind of sleep is not restful. I'd rather get a couple good hours than 8 lousy ones, waking up groggy and feeling like I didn't sleep at all. Don't let the withdrawals get to you, because you'll eventually just have to go through them again. Everyone quits their drug of choice eventually; I'd rather be alive when I do it.
Old 06-24-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Thanks for the words of encouragement. It's all that's keeping me going. I thought about giving up today. But decided not to. I'm going to beat this!
Old 06-24-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Made it through day 6. Even in the face of temptation. If I am one thing, its stubborn, and I have my mind set to permanently end this (excuse my language) ******* addiction! Just for anyone who might be going or will be going through this same thing, here is what I've been doing so far... I force myself to eat at least once a day, I've been drinking a ton of water, I'm taking a daily multivitamin, and I've taken a two week vacation from work so I can focus on this and beat it. I sleep when I can, which isn't often, and I've used this support forum to help give me hope when I had none left. Last but not least, when the WD's have been at there worst, like today... I GET MAD! I will not let this addiction beat me. I will not let those damn little pills run my life for even one more damn day. And like noexcuse said... Everyone quits their drug of choice eventually; I'd rather be alive when I do it!
Old 06-25-2013, 10:24 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Day 7 is gone, and day 8 begins. The worst of the WD symptoms have seemed to subside. Still dealing with insomnia, but... Im not as anxious, physically sick, or quite as depressed as I was 2 days ago. I hope and pray the worst is over and done with and this is the start of a turning point. I'm not getting to excited though, I know there is much work ahead for me. I will keep you all updated. I do have one question though, if anyone knows, is it a bad idea to talk to my doctor about possibly getting some sleep aid medication? Nothing long term, or daily, just something for when I absolutely need it. I'm craving a full nights sleep.
Old 06-26-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Bc..your doing great! Just read your posts and it's very inspiring. I'm on day 4 of a 15 yr opiate addiction. It's not easy, in fact it's total hell for me. My wd's weren't totally unbearable because I tapered myself down and tried small amount of suboxone for a few days. I let pills run my life for so long. Don't give up...you have made it through the worst! Don't be like me and keep relapsing only to look back and have over a decade of regrets! It only makes it harder to quit each time because you have more and more destruction to deal with. Destruction that you single handedly caused by chasing a high that is out to kill you!!! A high that has turned on you! And yes the heightened sense of smell, taste , hearing is totally normal...remember you have been numbing everything with pills. When we are on pills we are the living dead...no feelings...nothing but numbness.......hang in there!!
Old 06-26-2013, 09:02 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Wow. Just checking in on ya. You're still doing it!!! I am so so happy for you!!! I know it is SUPER uncomfortable. You are incredibly strong right now, even if you feel weak. This thread will be a great resource for you should you ever feel tempted to go back to the drugs. I know that for me, doing the kick again is NOT an option. It was brutal! Each day brings new changes, don't worry about your sensory perceptions, the opiates do indeed dull your entire body and mind so you'll start to have days where you feel like you're in overdrive or something - that is normal. When I first got sober, going out in public was difficult because noises seemed way too loud, lights too bright, heat and cold sensations all mixed up so I was (like you!) sweating and then cold minutes later... Ugh.... Allow your body to reset itself. It's like tuning a guitar you know? Give it time to get tuned up. Glad to hear you're taking lots of vitamins! Drink as much water as you can and flush out toxins. Keep trying to get some exercise here or there. You will feel SO much better after you walk, jog, etc...

I know this is a mother****** but you we are both living proof that it can be done! I had a really hard time with depression after I quit. That was my biggest challenge after the physical stuff began to subside. Eventually I broke down and saw a doctor about that. He mentioned PAWS and I read up on that to find it was what I was dealing with. Be mindful but unafraid. There is no obsticle you can't tackle if you break it down day by day. Just to make it through today.

As I said SUPER PROUD OF YOU!!! This made my day. So many attempt and quit only to end up worse off or dead. I'm thrilled you're hanging in there.

Hugs

Old 06-26-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
New and learning

How is it going today? You have really done a great job! Over a week! I hope the worst symptoms are over.....and you get some sleep!
Old 06-26-2013, 08:58 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Wow, thanks guys. Your support has been fantastic and really helped me through this. Lucky for me, late late late last night sleep crept up on me and I got a solid 6 or 7 hours. It made a world of difference, I woke up today and felt like a human again, like myself. I feel... Great... Considering the situation anyway. This is day 9, and there is no looking back for me. Thank you all so much, I will keep updating for a few days, probably until I have two weeks under my belt.