Notices

Replacing one addiction for another

Old 05-15-2013, 10:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Replacing one addiction for another

Ok so I'm nervous posting this because I'm afraid of negative feedback. So I have been alcohol free for 37 days and feel proud and grateful for that. I was just wondering if anyone else had replaced their obsession with alcohol with something else?

Since quitting I have become very rigid with what I eat. Like no sugar white flour and eat an enourmace amount of vegitables. But now instead of guilt i use to feel about drinking i feel guilt if i eat something unhealthy! Since quitting I have lost 12 pounds, and I wasn't heavy to begin with! I'm not complaining about weight loss the added boost in self confidence is great for my sobriety.

Guess I'm just wondering if this is "oholic" behavior??!!
Old 05-15-2013, 10:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sounds great to me. Nothing wrong with being addicted to a healthy lifestyle.
Old 05-15-2013, 12:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yea, I agree with Dirty - healthy lifestyle

Also, having given up booze, I found a void. I think its good to have something to fill that void, as you do, focussing on healthy food. Enjoy
Old 05-15-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I can understand that having had my own food issues in the past before my drinking got bad. I'm currently reading Appetites by Caroline Knapp which I can highly recommend if you are female and have food/addiction issues. I have had a very healthy appetite since I quit but have had huge amounts of guilt for other things which I think has been transference really, I need to feel bad about something! x
Old 05-15-2013, 01:04 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Thirty seven days is awesome!

I don't think you should feel guilty if you slip and have a twinkie. Everything in moderation (I'm talking food here!)

I had a friend who quit drinking and went on a health kick. It was fine that he was concerned about what he was eating, but he would point out the amount of fat grams in the snack you were eating. He had to learn to rein it in. I also recall he binged on bad food occasionally. I am not sure if it was related to his recovery or if he just took things to an extreme
Old 05-15-2013, 03:32 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all
Old 05-15-2013, 03:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 37 days!

I'm only day 9 but pretty much in the exact same situation, lots of veg, no sugar, wheat etc.
I do this every time I sober up (usually for no more than a few days tho!)

I love it... I don't think it matters if it's addictive. I'm losing weight and I don't think too much broccoli ever hurt anyone!

Eat plenty of nuts to get your good fats and energy and prevent too much weight loss.
Old 05-15-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations keep up the great work!

Addiction is usually already present when drinking...

I know of some people including myself who have addressed various addictions to drugs, food, gambling, sex, running, exercise, etc. afterwards

and with great success.

I wouldn't worry about being addicted to a healthy lifestyle!!!
Old 05-15-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

inperfectlyme. You are doing great. You should keep in mind that your body was used to alcohol as a sugar so lots of people actually increase the amount of sugars and that sort of thing when they quit drinking. That's probably why there are always cookies at aa meetings if you go. I too gave up sugar when I got sober. I actually have now cut out carbs and and dairy as well for a pre summer cut. If you are looking for a healthy addiction I suggest you try working out! Did you know you actually release the same endorphin's when you work out as your body creates when your usin g drugs? I think it is the same for alcohol as well but not positive. I think your doing awesome and there is nothing wrong with taking pride in how you look but more importantly I wonder what is your recovery plan? I am a recovered alcoholic/addict and am intrested in knowing what you have been doing for all the success? Although the mental obsession that leads to the first drink has been lifted and I have recovered from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body. The allergy I have to alcohol that results in the phenomenon of craving remains. so although i have recovered I want to make clear I, like you, if you are alcoholic can never safely use alcohol in any form. But there is a solution to all of lifes problems! n\Not just alcohol, if you are interested. Best of luck! keep up the great work and feel free to pm me if you want to talk sometime.
Old 05-15-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was going to leave it be but I strongly disagree with the rant at the bottom of dirty river mans post. I have a disease called alcoholism and it has nearly killed me. I lost all choice in consumption of alcohol. It was a necessity for me and although I hated it towards the end I could not stop. The opinion of someone who clearly is not an alcoholic is irrelevant in matters concerning alcoholism. I like to keep my opinions out of things, they are dangerous. Experience however tells me to make sure I speak on this matter! Keep up the great work!
Old 05-15-2013, 04:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ebbiethatcher View Post
I was going to leave it be but I strongly disagree with the rant at the bottom of dirty river mans post. I have a disease called alcoholism and it has nearly killed me. I lost all choice in consumption of alcohol. It was a necessity for me and although I hated it towards the end I could not stop. The opinion of someone who clearly is not an alcoholic is irrelevant in matters concerning alcoholism. I like to keep my opinions out of things, they are dangerous. Experience however tells me to make sure I speak on this matter! Keep up the great work!
Thanks for pointing that rant out...I missed it...

I think what kept me in denial was thinking I was stupid, half-a-man, not accepting alcoholism as an illness, shame, guilt, not being able to handle my drink, lack of willpower

Thank the powers that be I accepted my illness, worked through the steps, and no longer think or feel that I am not worthy or somehow my whole being is defective.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:04 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
now's the time

ImperfectlyMe,

The way you describe your eating concerns me a bit... eating well is good but you shouldn't be restricting calories and you shouldn't be feeling guilty about your eating. Your body and brain are healing right now, you need to give yourself enough of all the food groups.

If you're just feeling a little hooked on making sure your diet is healthy, that's fine. But please be sure you're not verging into unhealthy restrictions (e.g. no carbs). Your body needs to be treated right!
Old 05-16-2013, 01:44 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InperfectlyMe View Post
But now instead of guilt i use to feel about drinking i feel guilt if i eat something unhealthy!
I could be wrong here but it sounds like no matter what you do, you feel you need to feel guilty or beat yourself up about something.

It sounds like you are deflecting the guilt you feel about alcohol to junk food instead of facing the first issue.

Transference: the redirection of attitudes and emotions towards a substitute

I am not saying you are doing that, as eating healthy is good and only you can decide if you are transferring one to the other, but maybe something to think about.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:52 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Common carbs or 'bad' carbs should be avoided if you want a low sugar diet.
Something I believe essential to staying sober.

White bread, pasta, potato's etc all should be avoided as they are simply digested into sugar and are heavy on the pancreas, which of course is probably trying to recover.

Bulgar wheat, cous cous, whole grains etc are good carbs or contain intact carbs and are processed different, contain all sorts of essential stuff and give you energy.
Old 05-16-2013, 01:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Wow Gracie reading your post struck me. I think you are on to something I always had dreadful guilt even as a child when I had done nothing wrong. Maybe you have led me to a profound realization that I need to address and work through!
Old 05-16-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

Congrats on your sobriety so far, Inperfect.

It's amazing how we can be blind to what we're doing when we quit something - I developed a heroin addiction trying to get off booze

You, on the other hand, seem hyper aware - that's good, to a degree. But the stress of being hyper aware can actually drive a person to turn to form negative habits as well as recognise them. As you prolly' know.

It could either simply be the logical and positive case of change in your drinking habits changing your eating habits and a matter of coming to terms with that and working toward sustaining a healthy diet

...or

Some people become restrictive and displace addict patterns onto the next available thing...we all have to eat, so in an addict's mind, its actually logical to cling to eating behaviour.

The fact you're able to be honest and open about your concerns suggests it isn't a problem right now, but if you become more restrictive, or secretive or start feeling shame or continue to lose weight then sure...something needs to give.

Have you thought of going to the doctor and asking to speak with a nutritionalist?

You can explain your position to them (that's their job!) and they may be able to better explain what's going on, put your mind at ease (hence, reducing your stress levels so you can enjoy food more and are less likely to develop negative patterns of eating and thinking) and give you some ideas for continuing to eat healthy.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by InperfectlyMe View Post
Wow Gracie reading your post struck me. I think you are on to something I always had dreadful guilt even as a child when I had done nothing wrong. Maybe you have led me to a profound realization that I need to address and work through!
I also have guilt issues. I used to feel like I was in the way. Not really that I wish I was never born but more that I desired attention or recognition and it made me feel guilty for wanting/needing it. I felt I was a bother to others.

This feeling has stemmed a LOT of resentments. Many are coming more and more clear the longer I am sober. Some are very hard to deal with. Now instead of guilt I feel anger.
Old 05-16-2013, 02:28 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Tsukiko, I think your second conclusion maybe more accurate. I pretty sure my food restriction are bordering on disorderly I did this when I was drinking as well. As a overweight adolescent all I ever wanted was to be thin and now that I am thin is not enough! Wow just realized I'm more f-Ed up then just booze! I think it's time to get a physical and talk to doc about everything put shame aside!

Gracie I had and have those exact feelings you describe to this day I CAN'T ask for help for I always feel like I'm bothering someone or I really don't matter they aren't going to care anyway!

Knowledge is power right do I'm going to work on my issues now that my head isn't filled with cheap Pinot gregio! Thank you for your insite and help! It feels good to ask for help and to be heard
Old 05-16-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Attended By a Single Hound

You're recognising that this could be(come) an issue and doing something about it - that ain't f-ed up; that's the antithesis of f-ed up. Just speak to a doc now, while you're in the perfect position to do something 'bout it and you'll continue being a pro-active, self aware person.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:13 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I guess that while you're looking at the real reason behind your obsession, you can also take heart from the fact that it's not a harmful way of acting, to you or anyone else, as long as you don't feel forced to take it to extremes.
As someone who has substituted carbs for alcohol, I need to work in the other direction and stop thinking of food in terms of comfort.