Notices

i need support

Old 05-06-2013, 12:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

i need support

hi friends. i have wasted a lot of time, money AND relationships to alcohol. i want out. first day here. all of you who have made it back to the land of good living, please respond. thanks.
Old 05-06-2013, 01:11 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi inlovewithlife
you'll find a lot of support here.

Have you thought of seeing a Dr, or looking for local support as well?

If you want to give us a little more detail, you'll find our responses can be a little more detailed
Old 05-06-2013, 01:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by inlovewithlife View Post
hi friends. i have wasted a lot of time, money AND relationships to alcohol. i want out. first day here. all of you who have made it back to the land of good living, please respond. thanks.
inlovewithlife, I too have wasted a lot (all my savings and assets) to drinking. It is great that you want out and are seeking support. I am on day 10 and it has been great because of the support I am getting from AA where I live and this site too. There are many different ways to return to the land of good living. I hope that you find what works for you
Old 05-06-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I wasted a lot of my life to drinking. But since I gave it up I never miss it and my life is so much better sober. Yours can be too. You can do this!
Old 05-06-2013, 04:51 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have lost a great deal to drugs and alcohol. Keep reading here. You'll quickly find you're not alone.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I'm glad you found us. I lost several years to alcoholism too, and though it's sad, you mustn't let the negatives pull you back down. Focus on today and what you can do to help yourself.
Old 05-06-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome. As you can see we have to lose to get to AA and sites like this FOR HELP. My best suggestion that I heard years ago and is very important to me: WE don't have to get sober AGAIN if we don't pick up that first drink. Very simple, not always easy. BE WELL
Old 05-07-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 2, and more about myself.

I am a 47 year old with almost all that a man can ask from God and expect from life. I have been married for the last 21 years to my high-school sweetheart, having first met her when she was 15 and I was 19. She is a lovely partner and a successful career-woman. Her only weakness is that she has forgiven my transgressions with alcohol too many times.

I have a beautiful 17 year old daughter, sans any of the usual ‘teenage troubles’. Intelligent and hardworking in school, she is now just about to join a good university for higher studies.

I have a reasonably successful professional career; am active in sports and have a good circle of friends.

We three make a tight-knit and loving family.

But I love/hate that 4th member of our family, my invisible cousin, that guy hiding in a bottle of booze. For no other reason, but to get that first buzz after taking a swig of alcohol, I love him. For all others, I hate him.

I will get rid of this guy from now on. Our family will be back to being only the three of us.

I need your help and support. And please pray to God to bless me and give me more courage.

Thanks.
Old 05-07-2013, 06:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Thriving sober since 12/18/08

Welcome! Lots of support here
Old 05-07-2013, 06:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey inlove I'm in the same boat. We can do it.
Old 05-07-2013, 07:07 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

stopping now is the best gift you can give yourself, your wife and daughter. Good on you!

yeah, that invisible guy. He's gone now, you might find yourself mourning him for awhile, for the "good memories" and there probably were some, but we find out we move on, and it IS a huge relief to have the pressure and insanity of an abusive relationship out of our lives. More energy for the good stuff.

You've come to the right place. Glad to have you.
Old 05-08-2013, 04:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

day 3 - feeling better?

well, my body says so. as for my mind, it still harbours a lot of demons - tough questions about how long will it last this time before i succumb to that 'one small swig only'?
i do know what i need to do right; its just that i do not know how to do it.
keep talking to me, dear friends; i look forward to your replies each day i come back home.
thanks again.
Old 05-08-2013, 11:01 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

i do know what i need to do right; its just that i do not know how to do it.
thanks again.
I think this is very common. I know I have to get sober ... but how does one overturn their entire life, turn it around, and make everything well again? It's like moving a mountain! It's even more difficult when one is feeling sad, anxiety, etc. I think we've made a huge first step. Joining SR and reaching out to other people. When I joined it was, in a sense, admitting that I had a problem to someone besides myself. I'm finding the more I read the more I realize that my situation is no different from countless others. I REALLY needed to hear that. I felt like I was the only person in the world that fell into the trap of alcoholism/addiction. As for how to get sober? For me, baby steps but always moving forward. Also honesty with myself. When I start thinking one little swig ... I stop and ask myself "am I being honest or is this another lie or trick". So far so good. You know, it's tough being human.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Pleased to meet you, inlovewithlife. I hope it's helping to be here where others truly understand. My family & friends didn't have a clue about the challenges I faced.

I drank all my life. I now have over 5 yrs. sober. Coming to SR daily has made a huge difference to me - there are so many wise and supportive people here. I hope you will enjoy being part of the community. We want to help.
Old 05-08-2013, 12:44 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Very happy to meet you! Unfortunately dwelling on the loses/wasted years gets us nothing ...but compassion for others, a love of today that can be very intense, and a much brighter future with many real friends. Gifts, indeed, of sobriety, and maybe, just maybe, of the clarity that comes from knowing "the dark side".

Welcome!
Old 05-08-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome.

Keep posting, keep reading.
Old 05-08-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

i need support

I didn't need support when I came to recovery...... I needed direction.

My recovery began at a recovery home 90 day program in 1989.
When I was assigned my room there was a small card on the dresser with 7 words on it that would change my life for the better.
They were "Ask, Listen and Do What You're Told"

90 days later I was discharged and went right into AA where I've been ever since. I became teachable.

All the best.

Bob R
Old 05-09-2013, 05:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

day 4 - a 100 hours already?

wow! feels good.
but hell, i fear the weekend coming up. how does one pass the first weekend sober? this is the stupid period when all gets loose with regard to alcohol - even for the non-addicted. then how does a "trying-to-reform" addict spend the 60 hours till Monday morning?
talk to me, friends..... please.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

wow! feels good.
but hell, i fear the weekend coming up. how does one pass the first weekend sober? this is the stupid period when all gets loose with regard to alcohol - even for the non-addicted. then how does a "trying-to-reform" addict spend the 60 hours till Monday morning?
talk to me, friends..... please.
As safely as possible. For me, I stayed at home, no alcohol available. Was never out of sight of my husband, and it was not a great weekend, but come Monday, I had done it.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:13 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

passing the weekend

hi pamel.
Thanks.
yes, I will rope-in my wife and daughter to shepherd me thru the weekend. I plan to play a lot of sport and read. wish me luck.