Notices

Ringing in the SOBER WEEKEND; 4/19 - 4/21

Old 04-20-2013, 05:45 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Ring Ring -

Checking in Saturday morning from Chicago. A bit disappointed in the weather here the last few days, record rain on Thursday followed by SNOW on Friday. The baseball game was "snowed out" last night which was a shame, I am staying at a hotel downtown and was really looking forward to watching the game after a hot shower in my hotel bathrobe. Alas, it was not to be. Watched some downloaded episodes of "Ripper Street" instead.

Decision time regarding my travel and volunteer opportunity finally came, and I have booked my ticket to Guatemala on May 1. I will be volunteering in a 'work for stay' program where you work 6 hours per day and are allowed to stay for free, some ranch work and general labor. Should be a nice social change for me and am excited to immerse myself in culture and language learning. Also very busy with my own tourism/travel business here in Chicago, I have transformed my sunny apartment into a Traveler's Pad and will be hosting various sets of international visitors over the next month. Coordinating arrivals, departures, maid service dates, key return policies, etc with my clients. Been cleaning the apartment like crazy too.

Time has been flying lately. Too busy to think about the drink. I am feeling challenged but have no desire for alcohol. I must keep this on the forefront always. I most recently lived in Costa Rica for 4 months (Sept-December 2012) so this is not a huge departure for me. My main issue has been getting over the self-criticism, as I tell myself "You should be in Chicago getting a REAL JOB and saving, not gallavanting off to Guatemala and shirking responsibilities"...real tough, I am my own worst critic!

Thanks for listening to me all, glad I found the weekend thread to babble this out! (PS: Do you know that Chicago is called the "Windy City" not for it's weather, but for its politicians. Back in the old days the NYC politicians used to say they could feel the wind blowing in from Chicago every time a political issue arose).

Ring Ring!
Old 04-20-2013, 06:27 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

You should be in Chicago getting a REAL JOB and saving, not gallavanting off to Guatemala and shirking responsibilities
I believe we only come this way in this life once , for me those kind of thoughts/things (buying a house , car , bills) make me feel trapped and suffocated .
A life spent in one job and having lots of money in the bank could have been a whole lot of life spent wishing i was somewhere else out there ..

i guess it depends on ones perspective and priorities , just because mine are different dosn't make them "wrong"

bestwishes, M
Old 04-20-2013, 07:11 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mecanix View Post
I believe we only come this way in this life once , for me those kind of thoughts/things (buying a house , car , bills) make me feel trapped and suffocated .
A life spent in one job and having lots of money in the bank could have been a whole lot of life spent wishing i was somewhere else out there ..

i guess it depends on ones perspective and priorities , just because mine are different dosn't make them "wrong"

bestwishes, M
Thanks Mecanix, I feel the same way. At 38 I feel it's late in life to realize that but better late than never. I worked for 10 years in a corporate rat race, and before that I spent time in college at a fraternity house where money and status were the main priorities. I was drinking the entire time and playing along with that game, I thought it was the only way to live and I coped with it through alcohol among other things. Now I am living a simpler life, MY life, and it's scary to think about. But it's time to Walk the Walk. Thanks for your support!

PS - scary to hear about your construction accident, hope all is well on your job front and the health and well being of you and your co-workers is in order.
Old 04-20-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

bacon.jpg

Appetizer of bacon wrapped asparagus bundles with sliced mushrooms, roasted in the oven...healthy bacon!

i am still without this staple, i'm still too sick to go out, running a fever and a wicked raw throat....maybe tomorrow?

but all recipes sent me this email and I thought of you all!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:46 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

It's been 71 days but I still can't get over the fact that I'm sober TODAY and I have the ability to do whatever I want with my day off. Being drunk was horrible - I felt like a prisoner in my home with no ability to drive and being in no condition to be out in public. Have a good Saturday all.
Old 04-20-2013, 09:56 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

I'm in! I would also like to add that I eat SPAM and am proud of it...
Old 04-20-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Looks awesome, Fandy!

Originally Posted by FreedomWon View Post
I'm in! I would also like to add that I eat SPAM and am proud of it...
My sister makes a spread with ground Spam and Velveeta. Slap some on a bun and broil it. YUM!
Old 04-20-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Non... does a carrot... or say a veggie not in the pig family... or a leaf every now and then ever pass your lips?
Old 04-20-2013, 10:30 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post

Thanks Mecanix, I feel the same way. At 38 I feel it's late in life to realize that but better late than never. I worked for 10 years in a corporate rat race, and before that I spent time in college at a fraternity house where money and status were the main priorities. I was drinking the entire time and playing along with that game, I thought it was the only way to live and I coped with it through alcohol among other things. Now I am living a simpler life, MY life, and it's scary to think about. But it's time to Walk the Walk. Thanks for your support!

PS - scary to hear about your construction accident, hope all is well on your job front and the health and well being of you and your co-workers is in order.
I'm right there with you. I'm planning an escape from the corporate world right now; interviewing for jobs that will entail over a 100k pay cut, but will provide a more rewarding and stress-free experience.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:17 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by soopy99 View Post
I'm right there with you. I'm planning an escape from the corporate world right now; interviewing for jobs that will entail over a 100k pay cut, but will provide a more rewarding and stress-free experience.
Thanks and good luck to you too!
Old 04-20-2013, 01:01 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by Weasel1966 View Post
Non... does a carrot... or say a veggie not in the pig family... or a leaf every now and then ever pass your lips?
Mom,
I had a salad with red leaf lettuce, bell peppers, olives, cherry tomatoes, almond slivers, pepitas, bleu cheese, salmon and a nice balsamic vinaigrette for lunch.

Your Loving,
Non
Old 04-20-2013, 02:04 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

You had it when you were twelve. Doesn't count.
Old 04-20-2013, 02:34 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

For some reason, I thought this thread was only for your first sober weekend (my first sober weekend was spent in detox...).

My weekend started off with an AA meeting, followed by a meeting with my sponsor. I stopped by a neighbor's place on the way home, and we talked about geology! I am trying to get a grasp of local geology as part of my overall recovery... The geology is very complicated here, and my neighbor (who drills wells) confirmed that.

I am now sitting at my computer, thinking of reasons to not mow the lawn: it's a sin against photosynthesis, it's waxing moon and one should mow on waning moon, it's noisy, the grass is too wet...

Good job! I'm convinced. Guess I get to sit here a while longer....

Happy weekend to all!

CF
Old 04-20-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Cold... This thread is for everyone who wants to stay sober a weekend. There are no time limits or rules. Just want to be sober.

We do it every weekend. Please join in. I love when you post.
Old 04-21-2013, 01:51 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Nice sober sunday here ,
It's nice waking up in the mornings these days , especially at the weekend , no worries about what i did last night

Hope all the weekenders, new and regular posters are all ok .

Bestwishes, M
Old 04-21-2013, 03:44 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
now's the time

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
At 38 I feel it's late in life to realize that but better late than never. I worked for 10 years in a corporate rat race, and before that I spent time in college at a fraternity house where money and status were the main priorities. I was drinking the entire time and playing along with that game, I thought it was the only way to live and I coped with it through alcohol among other things. Now I am living a simpler life, MY life, and it's scary to think about. But it's time to Walk the Walk.
This is great, Big! I've spent much of the last ten years living nomadically and while it's true that as a result I have far fewer possessions and less money to my name than I would otherwise... and that can be very stressful sometimes... it's absolutely been worth it. I think it's really admirable that you're willing to follow your heart on this. Many people who would like to feel too pressured to ever give it a shot. It should be an amazing experience.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:46 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  
now's the time

4am and wide awake... my sleep schedule has been terrible lately. I think I'm going to have to try and stay up all night and make it through to tomorrow night so that I can rest at a decent hour, jet lag style.

Anyway good to be sober, even with the sleep issues. Have a good Sunday everyone.
Old 04-21-2013, 03:48 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Good morning weekenders! Ring Ring

sunny day.. feel good... going to exercise today.

Stuffed pork chops on the menu with collard greens.

got so much done yesterday. I was busy from sun up to sun down.

Need to wash the car and do another list of things that make me feel good when done. Its the little things for me that matter. If there are a bunch of small things lingering I need to do they bug me until done.

Have a good day!

TRICKYRICKY - Check in today! Day 9
Old 04-21-2013, 05:01 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

Happy sober Sunday morning, everyone. Last Sunday, I was recovering from the worst hangover I'd had in years. Today, I'm on day 7 and feeling as good as I've felt in years. Even just a little sober time makes a big difference.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

Good morning every1. Just finished my decaff and getting ready 2 walk my dog soon. Sunny here but a bit chilly. Happy sober Sunday 2 all.