Notices

Stay sober here this weekend! 3/15...3/17

Old 03-15-2013, 06:51 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Me too! First sober weekend

Non - Brown sauce in UK is also called HP sauce.

Obladi - weekend eve - like it lol
Old 03-15-2013, 07:24 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Weasel what a great thread! Thanks for starting it.

I'm off today. And extra glad about it because there is some kind of St Patrick's day contest based on what you wear with prizes at work. This is a precursor to St Patty's weekend of drinking no doubt. SOOOO glad I don't have to be around that.

With all due respect to all those around the world, I've never understood why The States adopted other cointry's holidays and boiled them down to drinking days here.

Between Cinco De Mayo and St Pats day, we find any reason to drink the poison. And green beer?? Yuck.

I will stick with my happy sober state of mind, thank you.

To everyone struggling, you can do it. Every weekend you get through soberly makes you that much stronger for the next weekend to come. It really does build on itself. Relapses build on themselves in the opposite direction so be careful!

Fandy it is so cold here. While the dog was out I was straightening up the deck and there was ice frozen in spots. Sheesh.
Old 03-15-2013, 07:29 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

This weekends culinary adventure is Julia Childs Lamb Stew. First ingredient on the list? Chunk of bacon. Not bacon strips or think cut bacon.... CHUNK of bacon. (White wine in dish will be a cooking non alcoholic wine).
Old 03-15-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Greetings Sober Weekend Adventurers!!! It's going to be a great weekend to be sober!

Welcome to the newcomers. I'm not going to lie to you - weekends in early sobriety suck. They're hard but oh so worth it! You will feel such a sense of accomplishment when you wake up on Monday and realize you won the weekend battle with The Beast. Stick close to SR, read a lot and soak up all of the support here!

As usual, no specific plans for the weekend. After 30 years of drinking and driving people away I am in the process of rebuilding a social life. I spent all of my time with sober friends from AA. It took me years to destroy peoples' trust and faith in me so I must be patient.

I have a job phone interview this afternoon at 2:30pm. Wish me luck!! I'm tired of the unemployment schtick and ready to jump back into a job.

Will be a cold weekend here as well. SO tired of the cold and gloom......ready for warm, sun-filled days.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:53 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I had my bacon indulgence yesterday. Wrapped around scallops and broiled in the oven. I need to get a corned beef brisket, cabbage , and new potatoes for Sunday.
No whiskey or that godawful Irish Mist. I bought a Le Creuset grill pan. Cherry Red. I have to think of something to grill on it. I will be checking on you Weasel. Remember wear green on Sunday or I will be sending pinches your way my love.
Old 03-15-2013, 10:48 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm with ya!
Old 03-15-2013, 11:58 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

brown sauce is a bit like steak sauce .

Nice relaxing evening with nothing planned other than some heavy duty TV watching .
Tomorow i am on stand-by to cover a colleauge so he wont get called during his wifes birthday party
Managed to do mums shopping this evening so thats another weekend chore done .
A friend is flying south to an island in the med where they live for the forseable future so i'm a bit sad because i'm a bit sweet on em .
Just focus on being content in the now , happy even .... then count on the power of positive attraction to attract or repel the right people and then see where i am

Bestwishes to anyone who is struggling , we've all been there . It can be hard and difficult to maintain a sober life but it is worthwhile and it feels really nice in comparison to the old days , as i sit here 18 months out .

M
Old 03-15-2013, 12:31 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Ready for the weekend. I took home my work laptop, ready to spend the weekend staying in. Too much St Patty's day stuff going on for me.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:04 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I'm in. It's really lucky that my 8 month mark falls the day before St. Patrick's Day-it will give me that little extra willpower I'm going to seriously need. Hardest week I've had since I quit. Old habits die hard don't they? I know part of it is just missing a lot of people I used to celebrate St. Patrick's day with-family and friends that have passed, or are far away. It just makes me miss the old days.

I'm glad so many people are here ready to take on the weekend. Armed with bacon and cooking utensils lol
Old 03-15-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hello Weasel and everyone. Weasel I am so glad you wrote that disclaimer, it would be awful for you if the cats of the world decided to get their revenge.

My second sober weekend!

I am looking forward to going to a food market with a friend, gardening, going for a bike ride and waking up sober and hangover free. Have a good one!

ETA My bike ride will be on a cycleway that goes past views like the one in my avatar. How lucky am I!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:50 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I'm in!
I've become a tea junkie. How do I make a fabulous cup of tea? I like milk or cream or even a little sweeten condensed milk in it. Love the black teas. Herbal not my favorite unless I can't sleep.
Help me out my sober friends across the pond. What's the secret. Your tea is the best!
Old 03-15-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by Obladi View Post
In a stroke of sanity, I signed up for a late shift tonight.

Will spend the day doing a bit of work from home, cleaning, doing a bit of marketing (mostly for bacon), hanging with my daughter a bit and chatting with you all in the tween times.

Having made it through "weekend eve" (Thursday night), I feel like I've taken a running leap, but it's early. Mornings are always good for resolve; that AV makes it's first appearance sometime in the afternoon. (Guess it feels safe to sleep the morning in to gather energy for later).

Started the day with a long-overdue chat with my beloved introducing the topic of unresolved business. Which reminds me now - that did conjure up the spectre of the bottle. I do hate confronting this stuff, but for me it's necessary in order to move forward, which I would so dearly love to do. But for now, I will focus on now.

Off to deal with everyday life biz!
I love the manic you!
Old 03-15-2013, 06:43 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I am spending and have spent since Wednesday night in the hospital with my son. He had emergency surgery yesterday and is slowly recoverying. It is because I have been sober through these many weekends that I am able to handle this. Watching your child suffer and having no control of it sucks. Perhaps that is what it was like for my parents to watch me suffer with my addiction. This has been a true learning experience for me how being sober is allowing me the sound body and mind to care for my son; I hope I never forget this. Keep the faith weekenders....we can all do this weekend sober!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:17 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
New and learning

Happy Sober Friday! I keep thinking it is my 3rd sober weekend, but I quit on a sunday. Oh well, day 20 is just about over and still sober! Almost 3 weeks!

We even went out to dinner. To a favorite Mexican place that just opened a new spot in our town! My drink of choice is tequila. I didn't even struggle! I did order lemonade, and it went along perfectly! I'm sooooo happy! I did actually think to myself, well.......I am going to rehab on Sunday and I could drink tonight and ........

And I stopped myself because as Dee says.......and I repeat to myself.......I've taken the option to drink off the table. I only think I want to cheat cuz it's my "last chance", but then I'll think I can cheat again. And I can't. Absolutely. Can not! So, once I said that, it was over.

We even went home to get a cash card and back out to shop with it. Awesome! I got a brand new yoga outfit and a bag to carry stuff in at the rehab I fly to on Sunday!

I was apprehensive yesterday, but feeling solid again about it. Actually excited to start the journey delving into myself and learning a lot.

Have an awesome weekend everyone!
Old 03-15-2013, 09:58 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm feeling very good about the weekend. Even though today is day one of my sobriety. It will be my first weekend without any kind of drug or alcohol substance in I don't know how long. I hope I can keep up the sober weekends, because that's how my addiction started, as a "weekend thing"
Old 03-15-2013, 10:43 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Looking forward to the weekend! Because I am sober, I got a job a couple weeks ago after 7 years no job being one sick bi polar alkie/addict. Folks 56th wedding anniversary on Sunday , March 17th.and I can finally pick up the tab. Kinda excited about that. They better eat off the senior menu.(Just kidding!)

Also the 31st anniversary of me and hubby's 1st date. Whew!

Then Monday is pajama day at work!! I don't even think I have pajamas that match , I have snoopy bottoms and leopard tops, Think it will fly? What happens to all those pajamas, could it have something to do with my drinking in the past? probably! lol
Old 03-15-2013, 11:56 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I'm on board too. Saturday morning here. Went to a meeting last night and then out to dinner with a friend. It's actually my birthday today - usually an excuse to drink. Not this time though!
Old 03-16-2013, 12:13 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Dee is full of good wisdom NeedMySaviour , Stay strong .

A lot of good and positive things there deeker thanks for sharing , 56th weding aniversary how cool is that ! and picking up the tab with ones own money worked for, giving freely is always nice

7am here in the Uk i remember when waking up this early was horrid as i'd have hours of hangover ahead of me , dry eyes and a purple furry tongue .. no more, no more , i'm always thankful to wake up free from that
On stand-by today so i shall do some housework and then some mooching and wallowing around the house waiting to see if the phone rings .

Have a sober saturday ya'll, M
Old 03-16-2013, 12:16 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

Happy sober birthday endlesspatience ,
Staying sober on ones birthday is one of the best gifts this alcoholic can give himself , maybe that's true for you too ? 7

M
Old 03-16-2013, 03:40 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Good morning weekender! I went out after work to say good buy to a coworker I work closely with. He is a software developer that always made my designs come to life better than they were designed. So I wanted to say goodbye.

Up early and heading to a new big grocery store. See if I can find new things. Tired of the old store.

Bacon

360... That sounds like a good idea. I am heading to the new tea store called a new leaf. They have fresh teas. I think that and a new "Kenny" mug are in order for a comfortable weekend around the house.

Felt compelled to al least mention bacon if nothing other than indiscriminately.

Smile today.

K