Notices

I have an ice cream problem...

Old 02-19-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have an ice cream problem...

A very, very serious ice cream problem. Over the long weekend I went through two pints of ice cream and even ate ice cream for breakfast once. I don't even like sweets!! I also made chocolate pudding and mashed up a bunch of Oreos and mixed those in.

Is this a normal side effect and will it mellow out? It's been kinda fun but I don't really want to just exchange one addiction for another. Should I go cold turkey on sweets?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Yes, it will get better, let your body heal from one thing.

Is ice cream making your life unmanageable? If you are running low, do you start worrying about where to get the money to buy more? Do you rotate stores where you buy, so the clerks don't know you have cravings?
Old 02-19-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi, this is very normal. I can relate. Last summer when I got sober I was eating 8 ice creams per day.I learnt that it's the sugar which is addictive and replaces the sugar in wine. I went cold turkey in the end as 1 was never enough. anyway I ended up drinking again some time later(not ice cream related ) I got sober in early Dec and have avoided icecream this time. I eat fruit and natural yoghurt instead. If you're early on in sobriety I wouldn't worry about it. If you are further on in sobriety I would maybetry and cut down/cut it out and work on more healthy snacks

edit- Last time I quit and was eating ice cream I lost no weight.This time 73 days in,no ice cream, I'velost nearly a stone
Old 02-19-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Amelia99 View Post
I also made chocolate pudding and mashed up a bunch of Oreos and mixed those in.
You're a genius

My obsessive sweet consumption seriously dropped off after a few months sober but I kinda let it continue. I might not have put on so much weight if I'd gone cold turkey on the ice cream too but I am not perfect, I think I made a big enough lifestyle change by giving up drinking and smoking. Besides, I am actually able to moderate my ice cream intake x
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Talking First Things First

Originally Posted by Amelia99 View Post
Is this a normal side effect and will it mellow out? It's been kinda fun but I don't really want to just exchange one addiction for another. Should I go cold turkey on sweets?
Hi there! I am in the same boat always concocting new and interesting deserts. You sound just like me. Yes my weight bothers me but my sponsor continually tells me that sobriety should be my priority right now. That I can work on my weight later. I am not bullimic or anorexic. At least I won't get pulled over for eating to much red velvet cake. Wish you the best! First things first!
Old 02-19-2013, 10:56 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Ba**ysMama

Oh man am I glad someone posted something like this!!! This had to be Divine Providence!! ...I had ice cream for breakfast today.. had it twice yesterday, and generally have craved sweets and any other food I could get my hands on since becoming sober...lol..I am confident it will pass..it's especially no fun when combined with other food craving factors.. but they all eventually level out.. or atleast let's hope they do.. haha.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

I would say your recovery is right on schedule. I was going through a box of cookies a day early on. It mellows out. Enjoy.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Aka.. Indamiricale. :)

Oh my , well if you got a problem , I am in dire straights....

Only 2 pints in a whole weekend.. LOL...

I have a bowl of butter pecan every nite.. And have more many many months of recovery..
Old 02-19-2013, 11:50 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
Yes, it will get better, let your body heal from one thing.

Is ice cream making your life unmanageable? If you are running low, do you start worrying about where to get the money to buy more? Do you rotate stores where you buy, so the clerks don't know you have cravings?
Ha ha, that's hilarious. The potentiality of being a secretive ice cream addict. My mother was not what I would consider a chocoholic, but she did hide the chocolate under some towels in the bottom drawer in the kitchen. I think that was more a function of her not wanting us kids to succumb to the desire to overindulge in sweets.

I found it anyway, BTW.

She always cooked balanced meals with vegetables, and that takes time.

A desire for ice cream is normal. That "hard shell" chocolate syrup that freezes on the top makes it even more delicious.

Does anyone remember Elmer's Goldbrick from Louisiana?

My Mom sent me some when I was living in India. It was summertime and it was completely melted, but I put it in the freezer and once it solidified, I took a stroll down memory lane.

I've had Starburst candies for breakfast and then didn't eat proper food, so you aren't alone.

In terms of ice cream... how much is too much? It could kill you too, but at least you won't crash your car or get in trouble with the law.
Old 02-19-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

This thread is making me want ice cream on its own, mixed with choc pud, cake, choc mixed in......

Off to the freezer I go...........
Old 02-19-2013, 12:01 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

I lived on ice cream a few months this past summer (July and August). My sober friends have a yearly Sober Ice Cream Party and I was the lucky one and took home most of the leftovers. I was in Ice Cream Heaven!

Today, I am still the same weight I was then, maybe a little less.

I have a big sweet tooth today and enjoy what I make/bake. I eat well when I eat other foods.

It's about balance.

When I was drinking, I rarely ate sweets or milk products, they didn't sit well with the alcohol in me. I have a new love of chocolate, too. I didn't enjoy chocolate before I became sober.

Exercising and walking is a necessity today as I refuse to gain more weight today just because I enjoy my sweets.

Sobriety is awesome! Let's live joyfully!!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:07 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

haha! So many of these responses made me laugh. I guess I'll indulge a little bit longer. If I'm feeling healthy, maybe I'll switch to sugar free pudding before I load it up with Oreos.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It's not really a craving to order a double shot and a slice of pie. I suppose it could be, but it never worked that way for me. Once off the booze, I hit the sweets like my life depended on it, and I think it did.
Old 02-19-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Huh?

Mmmmmm ice cream......chocolate, pistachio, rocky road, praline, coffee, sorbet, .......
Old 02-19-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
God's work in progress

Oh my gosh, add me to the list of ice cream addicts! At 13 months sober, I still have ice cream every day. Honestly, I have not tried to moderate. I can avoid all other sweets, but need my ice cream "fix" once a day. LOL
Old 02-19-2013, 12:45 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

i also had an addiction to ice cream after quitting alcohol..the kind of addiction where, while am eating my first bowl, i am planning to go get another one. now, three+ years sober, i have switched addictions to chocolate. if you ever want to quit...or cut down considerably, the ONLY thing that worked for me (and it was through this forum and good advice from everyone here) is simple but really really hard...don't keep it in the house. it worked for me but i still indulge, i just cant have the family-size bag of chocolate in the house...best wishes!!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:52 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Okay, now I want ice cream! Good we only have something that is not my favorite flavor. I am trying so hard to lose some weight. But, I love ice cream and it is my one constant indulgence and we always have some in the house. "for the kids" you know!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Fellow Traveler and Seeker

Right up my alley! I too was scarfing down a box of cookies every day, eating anything and everything that had sugar in it. I am surprised I wasn't eating sugar straight out of the bag.

It's normal - as you can see by the replies that many of us have gone through that. I have though, quit sugar cold turkey. The reason is that I was starting to have the same behaviours with sugar as I was alcohol - binging, hiding wrappers, eating candy and chocolate alone, feeling guilty about it, minimizing how much I ate to others, having stashes, etc. So for me, it was starting to mimic my alcoholic tendencies of shame and guilt. Not good for this alcoholic.

It's been two months now, and I have lost about 20 lbs. A nice benefit, to be sure. I don't crave it very much, and I will probably try a little thing here and there (moderation??? oh dear...) I do like my chocolate, but have the 90% stuff, which tastes like tire rubber.

But as long as it's not unmanageable, go for it!
Old 02-19-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good question. I too went through this recently! I would have passed on ANYTHING sweet before. Heck pretty much most food, who wants to take the time to pick up a fork when you can pick up a drink, right?
Oh our alcoholic minds!!!
I know I really have to get back to working out. I hate craving food. I know its because my body is used to running on alcohol only for the most part.
Old 02-19-2013, 01:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

I'm gonna admit to myself right now that I'm addicted to sugar. I like a little coffee with my cream and sugar is how I describe it, and I can eat a gallon of french vanilla smothered in hersey's chocolate syrup in no time. I suffered withdrawals from booze, cocaine, weed, and cigarettes, and probably will with sugar. I am committed to overcoming my addictions. Thanks for the thread.