Notices

I have an ice cream problem...

Old 02-19-2013, 07:11 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

From sugarbear- "Before I found alcohol, I could be found sitting at the sugar bowl eating it raw, one licked finger at a time."

I was found at the tender age of 4 or 5, sitting butt naked on my parent's kitchen table before anyone else was awake, eating a stick of butter. HA!
Old 02-19-2013, 07:57 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Well, I only went 69 calories over on myfitnesspal app, but I did have to dig into the kids ice cream sandwiches tonight! Trying to low carb it this week, well every week, due to diabetes, but got tight with them to try to lose weight too. I was yelling at th ekids today!

I needed a sugar fix if I was not gonna have a glass of wine! Had a few Dove Promises as well. Better than going for wine!
Old 02-19-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ivegotsunshine View Post
So I was just trying to figure out how many different kinds of cookies I have had in my house the last 2 weeks. Peppridge farms Nantucket
Peppridge Farms rules, but I haven't consulted them for decades. It was the macadamia nut one that really took me. Knocked knees and the whole bit.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:44 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

I know this thread is funny, but ice cream has caused me serious problems.
One pint a day has caused me to have weird blood sugar issues, increased anxiety, stomach problems, and I havent lost any weight.
I also have kidney stones, and have been told that too much dairy is a contributing factor.
Too much of ANYTHING is bad for you, and that much refined sugar isnt good.
I have cut WAY back, and it has been much better.
Still love sweets though. Its amazing that I never ate them before, so MUCH sugar in the booze.
Old 02-19-2013, 09:03 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by whynotnow View Post
I went crazy over ice cream after getting a divorce. I wasn't trying to quit drinking at the time, but I just couldn't get enough ice cream! It was definitely a coping mechanism. One day, I got on the scale and had hit my highest weight ever, and I RARELY ever want ice cream anymore now. That number on the scale created such a powerful connection in my brain that I just don't even WANT ice cream anymore. Now if I could make the same connection with alcohol, I will be all set. Don't beat yourself up - you too will know when the time is right to stop.
I guess I'm dealing with a double hit, Divorce still going on...& Sobriety (only 36 days)
I feel like Im running through a horrible storm, I just Pray that the Rain will stop & soon the Sun will shine on me! & I can stay away from sugar!!!
Swimsuit season is coming
Old 02-20-2013, 06:02 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I received one other tip this morning regarding this and wanted to share. Buy some mini candy bars and freeze them. Takes longer to eat and forces you to savor.
Old 02-20-2013, 07:36 AM
  # 47 (permalink)  

My favorite bakery is closing so we are going tonight to get our last batch of cupcakes... I told myself last night, no dessert since I will be having cupcakes tonight. That lasted about 20 minutes and then I had a big bowl of ice cream with chocolate chips on it. Oh well! Tomorrow is another day, and at least it wasn't booze!
Old 02-20-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I love ice creams!But I used to find that whenever I had a hangover I wanted more of it.I guess my liver wanted more sugar as part of recovery.
Old 02-20-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Oh boy... I'm not gonna get any "thanks" on this post.

A long long time ago I used to go to coda meetings. It occurred to me after a bunch of meetings (this 1 particular group/not a judgement on coda) that the room was filled with a bunch of people who were very unhealthy sharing with each other and reinforcing their not so healthy behavior. The norm for the meeting became, "I can be happy without a relationship", as opposed to, "I can learn to have a healthy relationship". Not sure if that makes the sense I wanted it in relation to this, but...

I don't know anybody here personally, so I'm hoping not to offend and I'm definitely not singling anyone out, but I couldn't help but to get a picture in my mind of a bunch of overweight people sitting in a circle joking and saying, "Eat all the ice cream you want! Alcohol is what we're here for!" Well, to me, as doublebarrel stated, it isn't really that big a joke. The guy who qualified at the meeting I was at last night landed in the hospital with a heart attack and almost died, and it was pretty obvious it was weight related. Being overweight can be just as deadly as alcohol and drugs. The leading cause of death in the US is heart disease. Not alcoholism. And processed sugar is a harmful, incredibly addictive substance, that causes a lot more harm than most people would like to believe.

Eating Ice Cream 3X a day is not a good idea, and I wouldn't condone it. There are thousands of other healthier things one can do to help stay away from alcohol. Drinking a huge glass of water can help calm a desire to drink. Sugar creates wild mood swings in most alcoholics also. When ya get right down to it, there really isn't anything good you can say about processed sugar. It's poison. Period.

That all being said, I ate big ice cream sundaes to get past strong urges to drink, early in my sobriety. I'm also 5'8" and weighed 127 lbs. If I did that twice a week though, it was a lot. And a few years into my sobriety I learned that sugar was causing me depression, anxiety, and killing me a number of other ways. Hate to be a party pooper here, but I wouldn't just laugh off the ice cream thing. And I'd start looking for alternatives before things get out of control. I also keep recommending the book "Sugar Blues" by William Duffy. It was life changing for me. Can be found for pennies on Amazon.
Old 02-20-2013, 10:51 AM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I'm at just under 9 months and have dessert every night. 90% of the time it is ice cream. Any time I've tried to stop, I find myself eating cookies or chocolate anyways. So I decided to give into my ice cream obsession. Currently working on a carton of chocolate with peanut butter and peanut butter cups.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:53 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Joe Nerv View Post
Oh boy... I'm not gonna get any "thanks" on this post.

A long long time ago I used to go to coda meetings. It occurred to me after a bunch of meetings (this 1 particular group/not a judgement on coda) that the room was filled with a bunch of people who were very unhealthy sharing with each other and reinforcing their not so healthy behavior. The norm for the meeting became, "I can be happy without a relationship", as opposed to, "I can learn to have a healthy relationship". Not sure if that makes the sense I wanted it in relation to this, but...

I don't know anybody here personally, so I'm hoping not to offend and I'm definitely not singling anyone out, but I couldn't help but to get a picture in my mind of a bunch of overweight people sitting in a circle joking and saying, "Eat all the ice cream you want! Alcohol is what we're here for!" Well, to me, as doublebarrel stated, it isn't really that big a joke. The guy who qualified at the meeting I was at last night landed in the hospital with a heart attack and almost died, and it was pretty obvious it was weight related. Being overweight can be just as deadly as alcohol and drugs. The leading cause of death in the US is heart disease. Not alcoholism. And processed sugar is a harmful, incredibly addictive substance, that causes a lot more harm than most people would like to believe.

Eating Ice Cream 3X a day is not a good idea, and I wouldn't condone it. There are thousands of other healthier things one can do to help stay away from alcohol. Drinking a huge glass of water can help calm a desire to drink. Sugar creates wild mood swings in most alcoholics also. When ya get right down to it, there really isn't anything good you can say about processed sugar. It's poison. Period.

That all being said, I ate big ice cream sundaes to get past strong urges to drink, early in my sobriety. I'm also 5'8" and weighed 127 lbs. If I did that twice a week though, it was a lot. And a few years into my sobriety I learned that sugar was causing me depression, anxiety, and killing me a number of other ways. Hate to be a party pooper here, but I wouldn't just laugh off the ice cream thing. And I'd start looking for alternatives before things get out of control. I also keep recommending the book "Sugar Blues" by William Duffy. It was life changing for me. Can be found for pennies on Amazon.
Boo!! Haha just kidding joenerv! You are very right on point. Sad but true. I shared a dessert with my husband tonight and that is most likely why I'm not sleeping now.
Old 02-21-2013, 02:37 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

I have found that working my recovery and all I learn in it, in all areas of my life pays off.

I have had eating disorder issues my entire life. There have been times that my eating disorders endangered my life and well being, and relationships.

Jonesing for sweets early in recovery may be simply part of the body and brain adjusting to losing their daily glut of carbs. Or it can be trading one addiction for another. Or it can be a problem in and of itself.

It could be something to laugh over, or it could be something to be addressed head on. In my experience, I realized that I had to address it. I've addressed it the same way I've addressed my other addictions because in my case it stemmed from the same issues.

While some of it was my body craving what wasn't good for it, a great deal of it was "comfort" eating. A great deal of it was me "rewarding" myself with something that really wasn't a reward. A great deal of it was me distracting myself from dealing with life by gorging myself on something that put me in a temporary state of ecstasy.

I can't keep ice cream in the house, because, just like drugs or booze. I WILL (and rather quickly) find an excuse to start eating it...and not stop. I mean what's the big deal by kicking back with a pint of ice cream? So now, I don't buy it in any more than one serving at a time. And I don't do that all that often either.

Not keeping it in the house gave me enough distance from it to address it. The cravings passed, and I got sounder in recovery and now I can have an occasional serving without going to the dark place.

Chocolate? I actually overdosed on it a little more than a year ago. My liver was going into panic mode. Eating cocoa powder will do that to a person. If you think I'm kidding...hang out on some eating disorder recovery forums. It's not that uncommon, nor is peanut butter addiction.

I have found that working on my drug/alcohol recovery is teaching me to recognize when I am using any substance or behavior in a self abusive manner, and how to address it. Recovery is allowing me honesty, choice and vision in all areas of my life. Some of problem areas are harder to address than others, but seeing how much better life is drug and booze free, encourages me to make better decisions about other substances and behaviors that have proved disasterous for me.

I soundly second Joe Nerve on this. The "well, it's not as bad as...." thinking is pretty much classic addict justification for continuing messed up behavior.

I am getting stronger in the practice of asking myself "is this really taking me where I want to be?"

I am no saint. I have many areas I struggle in and play the justification/denial game with myself. But I am also having more times when I realize "it's not worth it" and move on.

I'm not sure if the OP's case is lighthearted, or the cases of others here who admit similar experiences with ice cream. I'm not trying to make more of this than it is, but there ARE many here who have histories of eating disorder, switching addictions, and multiple addictions, so even if the OP isn't one of them, I know others out there will understand what I am talking about.
Old 12-02-2017, 01:56 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Lol lol this is so true.. i just had to make a dash to the ice cream joint and got a huge cup of ice cream with oreos, mms, and peanut butter cups, mmmmmm good.. day 10 for me.. once i get to 14 days sober ill begin exercising. As of right now its pile on the ice cream
Old 12-02-2017, 04:30 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hypochondriac View Post
You're a genius

My obsessive sweet consumption seriously dropped off after a few months sober but I kinda let it continue. I might not have put on so much weight if I'd gone cold turkey on the ice cream too but I am not perfect, I think I made a big enough lifestyle change by giving up drinking and smoking. Besides, I am actually able to moderate my ice cream intake x
I'll one up that with my oreo cookies and caramel sauce on top of chocolate moose.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:41 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Be careful

Be careful if you notice you're overdoing food in general, and especially sweets. When I got sober for 1.5 years, I gained 60 pounds by switching addictions. Alcohol to binge eating. Just a healthy warning to be careful!