Notices

two weeks sober - very tired

Old 01-15-2013, 06:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

two weeks sober - very tired

hi

i am two weeks sober yesterday, so 15 days in total.

this feels like a miracle, i cannot believe i have been able to do it.

however, i am not really able to appreciate sobriety yet as feel so tired, and sickly.

i am craving a lot of sugar, which i understand is pretty normal, however, i don't want to get another addiction.

incredibly, i am not wanting to drink, although very occassionally i miss the sensation, but it isn't overwhelming like it has been before,

its just the sheer tiredness which is getting to me, as i have to work and i have kids and i want to enjoy this as it is what i have wanted for many, many years.

please respond

x
Old 01-15-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Congrats on 15 days! Craving sugar and sleep problems are quite common especially in the early days.

Are you tired because you can't sleep?
Old 01-15-2013, 06:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome isabellini- the fatigue is pretty normal and the sugar issues. Around the first 2 weeks for me I had very sporadic periods of pretty intense fatigue- like falling asleep at my desk fatigue out of nowhere but it has gotten much better (I'm pushing into the 3rd week now).

One thing I found is that I'm very sensitive to food- I have to eat pretty healthy or it wrecks me. I ate some McDonalds the other day and felt horrible for like 4 hours- that has never happened before. The crazy sugar carb cravings have disappeared mostly but at 2 weeks they were strong and eating sugar definitely made them worse. Try to eat clean and healthy, try avoiding refined sugars, and try drinking lots of water this will pass and you will feel much much better probably fairly soon.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Also don't forget it takes time for your body to reset itself.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thank you everyone.

no, i can sleep like a log and then some more.

and also, even though i am craving sugar and carbs i feel nauseaous all the time.
Old 01-15-2013, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I am right there with you isabellini. I am very new to sobriety, but have gone through the withdrawals several times, and I promise it does get better.

I used fruit juice and hard candy to curb my sugar cravings. Also drank lots of water and gatorade to flush the toxins out of my body.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As far as, the nausea goes, I have had that too.
For me, my doctor called it gastritis. Good news, its 100 percent reversible.
He said that my drinking had screwed up my stomachs normal function and the natural mucus lining had been eroded, thus causing me to get nauseous when I ate or drank normally. He basically said, it would fix itself if i stopped drinking, which I did and the nausea did go away.
He also suggested that I stay away from milk, drink gatorade, water, or juice and don't eat heavy meals. Eat lots of soup, I.E. brothy soups, chicken noodle and stuff.

It took about 6 days for my stomach to feel better, but its different for everyone, could be difference between man and woman. You might want to see a doctor if it keeps bothering you.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:23 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Keeping it simple!

Also have you seen a doctor and told them about your drinking? It probaby wouldn't hurt if you did.
Old 01-15-2013, 07:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by isabellini View Post
i am craving a lot of sugar, which i understand is pretty normal, however, i don't want to get another addiction.
x
I'm right where you are - 14 days today. Sounds like you are very busy too - if you can squeeze a half hour for yourself (anytime is a good time) get moving put on some music and go for a quick walk around the block. It will change your chemistry and help you with the tiredness.

sounds like you are doing better then me with the sugar...sweet tarts I love you but...

hanging tough right there with you!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:53 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I am 20 days into this and finally not feeling exhausted. It will get better. B-Complex vitamins, Gatorade seemed to help me. If you are feeling sick, as I was, I drank small glasses of Ginger Ale with ice.

Hope you are feeling better and if not you will!!!
Old 01-15-2013, 07:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ohio1 View Post
Welcome isabellini- the fatigue is pretty normal and the sugar issues. Around the first 2 weeks for me I had very sporadic periods of pretty intense fatigue- like falling asleep at my desk fatigue out of nowhere but it has gotten much better (I'm pushing into the 3rd week now).

One thing I found is that I'm very sensitive to food- I have to eat pretty healthy or it wrecks me. I ate some McDonalds the other day and felt horrible for like 4 hours- that has never happened before. The crazy sugar carb cravings have disappeared mostly but at 2 weeks they were strong and eating sugar definitely made them worse. Try to eat clean and healthy, try avoiding refined sugars, and try drinking lots of water this will pass and you will feel much much better probably fairly soon.
Ohio1 you hit it on the head with McD's! I went to a counselor yesterday and felt pretty good after leaving. I even had an apatite and there were the arches. I got a quarter ponder, frys, 6 piece, and a sprite. Man was it good. but then about an hour later I felt like hell. Anxiety and all!

Try to eat healthy isabellini. And try not to eat sweets before you go to bed. That really messed me up.

It will get better!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Me too - very tired and real cravings for sugary food as well as mild all-day headaches. It's getting better now after about three weeks. So nice not to be hung over all the time. I'm similar to you...no massive cravings but still obsessive thinking about alcohol/my drinking/my not drinking now...

Well done isabellini!
Old 01-15-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

This is me too on day 14 and still very tired I am sure it's got worse from day 7 sleeping is great but still waking up tired glad to hear there's a end in sight.
Old 01-15-2013, 08:29 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

congrats... i look forward to that day
one day at a time and well done
K
Old 01-15-2013, 09:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

For me, sugar cravings & fatigue have been the biggest symptoms early in. Sugar cravings got much less after a month but I'm still struggling w being tired & I have 63 days. Still better than a hangover. Hang in, you're doing great
Old 01-15-2013, 10:34 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bob22 View Post
Ohio1 you hit it on the head with McD's! I went to a counselor yesterday and felt pretty good after leaving. I even had an apatite and there were the arches. I got a quarter ponder, frys, 6 piece, and a sprite. Man was it good. but then about an hour later I felt like hell. Anxiety and all!

Try to eat healthy isabellini. And try not to eat sweets before you go to bed. That really messed me up.

It will get better!

lol- I thought I was the only person this happened to. All the fast foods have done this to me since I quit and got through initial withdrawal- it literally causes anxiety within 20 minutes. I had a cheap frozen pizza the other day too it did the same thing. I stuffed myself with salmon and goat cheese with a bed of collard greens and felt better than ever- maybe its our bodies waking up and realizing how crappy some of these foods are??
Old 01-15-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Clear Eyes Full Heart

I had the sugar cravings for a couple of months, and the periods of exhaustion for about 4 months. I think it's just our bodies' way of healing and adjusting to such a big change. Now I'm at about 6 months and both have balanced out to a more normal level. Now for exercise to work off all the sugar craving results ugh.

I realized my cravings for fast food have also died out a lot. I can't remember the last time I went to McD's-it was a regular thing while drinking. Chalk up another plus for sobriety!

Hang in there, it does get better. You'll be enjoying more energy soon! Congrats on a good start!
Old 01-15-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

hi

coming to an end of day 14 here in UK, tired today, called in sick to work, not sure that is a good thing, but couldn't face sitting at my desk watching the clock tick by as i can't focus on anything.

EATING! omg! i cannot stop eating, its like there is a huge hole inside me and when i am eating or just full from finishing i say i won't eat anymore, then i start again, i really need this to stop because i am too big at the moment, and any extra pounds are going to get me down.

of course, i am not eating anything healthy, i just craving sugar and carbs.

please say this will end! i want to go into rehab and have someone look after me and tell me what to eat, and just let me talk and think about sobriety the whole time, because that is all i want to do - and sleep.

really good to see all your posts, this is all a miracle to me.

x
Old 01-15-2013, 11:41 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

glad im not the only one 2 weeks in and exhausted. I have been working out every day, sleep about 6.5-8 hours a night and still feel like im falling asleep at work every day!!! Want this to go away
Old 01-15-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Originally Posted by isabellini View Post
please say this will end! i want to go into rehab and have someone look after me and tell me what to eat, and just let me talk and think about sobriety the whole time, because that is all i want to do - and sleep.
That is some of what you might get in rehab, but they have no magic wand. And of course they have no control over what you eat when you leave.

I ate a lot of ice cream and cookies at first, but am down to just occasional cookies (I'm at 76 days). I would say don't worry about cravings as long as you don't eat a lot of junk. It WILL pass.

By the way, Ohio1 had a recent post about some weird dreams of fairies in white castles. It is amazing to see him posting about salmon and goat cheese now. It is amazing because I actually prayed that he would eat some salmon and goat cheese. Would you like me to say a prayer for you too?