Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

One Thing that REALLY surprised me about recovery is: ________

Notices

One Thing that REALLY surprised me about recovery is: ________

Old 12-13-2012, 05:15 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  
Grateful to be free

One thing that really surprised me about recovery is how dishonest I am, what a distorted picture of myself I had. I thought, because I aced school and had lots of talents, that I'd be good at recovery...breeze right through.

ha ha ha HA HA,, hahahahahah
Old 12-13-2012, 05:21 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  

That my behaviour, my actions and my psychological reactions are entirely my choice and within my power to control - if I really want to.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

That its just as progressive as alcoholism. As the months go by, slowly but surely, I feel better and better.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:39 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Is that I am far more rational and calm when faced with a dilemma
Old 12-13-2012, 09:43 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I am surprised that there aren't any big changes yet. Perhaps because it's been less than a month for me. Life is still the same. Things I am afraid to face, I am still afraid to face. I still go off on rages about stuff. I might be a bit calmer, but all in all I think things are about the same as when I was drinking.
Old 12-13-2012, 12:56 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

I am surprised that I went from DAILY thoughts that I didnt want to live anymore, to zero suicidal thoughts or feelings.
In the ten months since I quit, I have not one day wished I was dead. Very surprised.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:02 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

How letting go of alcohol has enabled me to let go of other hang ups and focus on what matters.

Also.... How fast I drink.

Whether a can of diet coke, coffee or water, I wanna finish it and get another one. Maybe just a left over habit. I never realized it with alcohol.
Old 12-13-2012, 03:24 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

I am really really surprised I still feel like crap!! Might as well be drinking...grrr..
Old 12-13-2012, 03:42 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

One thing that really surprised me about Recovery, is that apart from three closest lfriends, my daughter, and the sister I am closest to, (all of whom i confided in that I had quit) NO ONE has asked me once why I am not drinking. I don't feel the need to explain why when I say "no thank you,"..... and they don't ask. Very surprising.
Old 12-14-2012, 03:06 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I am surprised that I really, truly don't want a drink!
Old 12-14-2012, 04:36 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  

I am surprised that without alcohol life is more clear and understandable, rather than confusing and random as I had thought when drinking.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

I am surprised about this:
What an infinite relief it is to NOT have secrets!

My secret alcoholism just caused me to do other secretive things. Now that I am sober I can't believe I lived in a lonely dark shroud of secrets.

Now i never have to censor or remember who knows what about me. I can just be me in the moment!!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:07 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  

There's a card for it! I was at the drugstore looking at greeting cards, and lo and behold there was a 'support for sobriety' section. I looked at the one card available, and it was totally depressing, in a nutshell 'good luck on your insurmountable task'. Nonetheless there is a card for it.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  
LDT

I am surprised at how much I smile..... for no reason ( I probably look ridiculous! )
Old 12-18-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

The one thing that REALLY surprised me about recovery... is that it was and continues to be - possible.
Old 12-18-2012, 11:19 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
...not falling down them

It surprises me how good I feel about sharing things that upset me no matter how trivial or inconsequential I may imagine they may sound to another person.

Certain topics I just didn't discuss....now I do and it really, really surprises me how good I feel after. Nobody tells me to suck it up or get over it or anything like I tell myself.

They're a lot nicer to me than me. Surprise!!
Old 12-18-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I'm surprised that

One thing that has surprised me (I'm on day 9) is how much my drinking affected my relationship with my SO. I guess I didn't think I was drinking that much, but she's so happy now and she is smiling at me, instead of going to bed upset. That alone is going to keep me on the right road.

Another surprise is that she said I am being a much better parent. Again, I think I was just ignorant about how my drinking affected my parenting, because I didn't drink until after the kids were in bed. Now I can see how short I was with them, waiting on them and yelling at them to get to bed, so I could start my nightly routine all over again.
Old 12-18-2012, 12:04 PM
  # 58 (permalink)  
Your Sober Friend

How spiritual I've become and how clearer my mind has been. Truly beginning to look at everything in my life with a different outlook.
Old 12-18-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 59 (permalink)  

How far below my potential I was when I was drinking; I used to be so impressed with myself that I could be drunk at midnite and up at 5am running but now I see that I was just keeping my head above water (barely) and achieving almost nothing with my life while destroying myself - all under the label of "high functioning alcoholic" as if that was a title to be proud of
Old 12-20-2012, 08:54 PM
  # 60 (permalink)  

That it is a small price to pay to remove it from my life everyday compared to all the value sobriety adds.