SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   One Thing that REALLY surprised me about recovery is: ________ (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/275562-one-thing-really-surprised-me-about-recovery-________.html)

EternalQ 11-25-2012 10:52 AM

One Thing that REALLY surprised me about recovery is: ________

One thing that REALLY surprised me about recovery, is: _____________

One thing that REALLY surprised me about recovery is: how I continue to feel better and better as each month goes by. I never would've believed it if I had not experienced it myself. Its rather extraordinary!!

You?

MegTheRunner 11-25-2012 11:04 AM

How much better I feel just as you said. I realize I am not nearly as depressed as I used to be. For the first time in a very long time I feel like I may not have to live with depression anymore. Who'da thunk it

:headbang:

Sapling 11-25-2012 11:41 AM

That it's possible.

EternalQ 11-26-2012 05:11 AM

One thing that really surprised me about recovery, is: I am not alone.

Auvers 11-26-2012 05:28 AM

The thing that surprised me most about quitting the use of alcohol was how deep, how broad, how all encompassing were its tentacles around me. This is revealed to me slowly, every day.

serious 11-26-2012 06:07 AM

how much of a learning experience and journey this really is.

Elisabeth888 11-26-2012 06:08 AM

That it actually feels good.

linzer2488 11-26-2012 06:10 AM

One thing that suprised me about recovery is...
that my anxiety is pretty much non-existant now, except in times when it is normal to be fearful,nervous,etc!

Critica76 11-26-2012 06:48 AM

I am starting to like myself.

EternalQ 11-26-2012 04:38 PM

One thing that really surprised me about recovery is: that I actually like people.

MycoolFitz 11-26-2012 04:44 PM

The amount of pain guilt and shame I have carried that I just buried but also the amount of love I hold and want to share.

stairs 11-26-2012 04:51 PM

That I'm actually a pretty calm person.

I'm like that nerdy 13 year old that I was before I discovered pot.

ClassiFemme 11-26-2012 07:34 PM

Some things that I thought mattered a lot, don't anymore. And things that I didn't think much of before, matter lots.

squeek 11-26-2012 07:38 PM

The one thing about sobriety for me is that I am thinking about ME all day long. Not in a cynical or even egotistical way, but a healthy way. It has made me make a habit of saying good things to myself instead of bad.

EternalQ 11-26-2012 07:38 PM

One thing that really surprised me about recovery is: Day to day life is not nearly as overwhelming as I thought it was, and if I get overwhelmed I just have to step back and rest. Who knew?

friday13 11-26-2012 08:06 PM

It turns out I don't need a drink to do most things.

EternalQ 11-27-2012 06:14 PM

One thing that really surprises me is: the ups and downs of life still happen, the same, whether I drink or not. And I cope so much better if I don't drink. I don't need drinking to cope! Apparently that was a lie!

IWillWin 11-27-2012 06:32 PM

...that I like me. I used to like me before my drinking went wild the last few years or so. Then I started to not like me so much but couldn't figure out why. Doh!

I'm just as cool as I was before and even a bit cooler with some time and experience. It is really wonderful to like myself again :)

Windancer 11-27-2012 07:04 PM

Im not alone or crazy.
My past actions dont define who I am.
That my parents and "ex" really really love me...even after what I put them through.
Its ok to not drink...the feeling of "missing out" is in my head.
I dont need alcohol to laugh and play and be myself (who would have thought!!!!!!)
I do not have to remain in "victim mode". In fact, I have figured out I am only a victim if I allow myself to be. I dont have to be one.
I am SUPER lucky and really want to help others who are not as fortunate as myself in some ways.

Fernaceman 11-27-2012 07:05 PM

What really surprised me is the humility needed. People are going to be skeptical of me regardless of what I am doin today in my sobriety and tellin them constantly what I am doing to better myself is not going to speed anything up as far as mending relationships. Actions speak louder than words.

Sorry for ranting lol.