Notices

Books on Recovery, Spirituality & Codependence

Old 06-05-2014, 12:23 AM
  # 201 (permalink)  

Anna, thanks so much for the full list - easier to print out for my library / online book buying excursions :-)

Some I'm working with now / and or have returned to:

Breathing Under Water: Spirituality and the Twelve Steps, Richard Rohr.
He's a prolific author, Francisan and founding director of the Centre for Action and Contemplation in New Mexico. He's written quite a few books for men, which someone might wish to make note of to the Men's Group here.

Steps to Life: A Spiritual Journey with Christian Mysticism and the Twelve Steps , Joanna Thyer.

A Burning Desire: Dharma God and the Path of Recovery, Kevin Griffin.
This is his more recent sequel to One Breath at a Time: Buddhism and the Twelve Steps.

Buddhism and the Twelve Steps Workbook, even more recent one (2014) also by Kevin Griffin.

Full Catastrophe Living: How to cope with stress, pain and illness using mindfulness meditation , Jon Kabat-Zinn
NOTE: This is a new revised edition (2013) in which K-Z highlights the newer science of mindfulness as it's grown and evolved since the first editions (1990 US, 1996 UK).

The Happiness Trap: Stop Struggling, Start Living Russ Harris.
This is essentially a very readable approach to Acceptance and Commitment Therapy (ACT), which is increasingly being used in drug and alcohol rehabs for reasons that are pretty obvious!
Old 06-08-2014, 11:00 AM
  # 202 (permalink)  

I like the short book called What is the Oxford Group written in the early 1930s by an author whose pen-name was Layman with a Notebook. It is available online as a pdf file for no charge.
Old 06-08-2014, 11:02 AM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Thank you all for posting... this is a terrific reading list!
Old 06-08-2014, 09:11 PM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Thanks
Old 06-15-2014, 06:06 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Recovered from Hopeless State

I just posted this in another thread...

"After fighting the God concept all my life, I finally decided if you can't beat Him, join Him. I found a way that worked for me".

I'm going to have to check out the books on this list. It took me 7 long, miserable years, in and out of AA, to find a God I could understand, get sober and develop a better outlook on life in general. Perhaps if I had found this list earlier, it might have saved me, and others, a lot of grief.
Old 06-16-2014, 10:19 PM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Ernie Kurtz and Katherine Ketcham have a new book out which is a follow up to their very popular "Spirituality of Imperfection". The new book is called "Experiencing Spirituality". It's only been out a month or so. It's very good.
Old 06-17-2014, 01:37 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

Cool quotes awuh1. All three of them but I love the humor in the last especially.
Old 06-20-2014, 04:02 PM
  # 208 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jessicacat1 View Post
Have finished the Caroline Knapp book 'Drinking - a love story' and I found it very enjoyable, I could relate to much of the story and it was thought provoking. I have nearly finished 'Dry' by Augusten Burroughs- a very different story but an excellent read.
Part of my plan to stay sober is to immerse myself in books and make time in my day, no matter what, for reading.
I just finished the Caroline Knap book last night - a gift my mom got me.
I really enjoyed it.
Old 06-27-2014, 06:38 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

I have read a few books that have really helped me become positive and focused:

Feel the fear and do it any - Susan Jeffers

~ fantastic book for anyone whose feeling scared or down in the dumps.

Eat that frog - Brian Tracy

~ Good book for getting your life back on track. Helps you deal with indecision and procrastination.

The Chimp Paradox - Dr Steve Peters

~ A book that helps you achieve your true potential in life. Simple steps to silence negative thought patterns.

All these books are very positive and great for personal development!
Old 07-04-2014, 07:51 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

I read a book by Dr. Olivier Ameisen called "The End of My Addiction" and his use of Baclofen to treat his alcoholism. I got the prescription from my doctor 2 months ago and it is like a miracle.
Old 07-06-2014, 03:35 PM
  # 211 (permalink)  
waking down

Two that have helped me and should be added to the big list:

The Mindful Path to Addiction Recovery by Lawrence Peltz, M.D.

The Mindfulness Workbook for Addiction by Rebecca E. Williams, Ph.D. and Julie S. Kraft, MA
Old 07-06-2014, 03:58 PM
  # 212 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks, everyone, I so appreciate all your additions.

Sadly, I am behind but don't let that stop you from continuing to contribute here.

I have finally updated the list, so, please, please continue to post new ideas for books you read and love.
Old 07-16-2014, 08:35 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

"Drunk Mom" by Jowita Bydlowska

Three years after giving up drink, Jowita Bydlowska found herself throwing back a glass of champagne like it was ginger ale. "It's a special occasion," she said to her boyfriend. And indeed it was. It was a party celebrating the birth of their first child. It also marked Jowita's immediate, full-blown return to alcoholism and all that entails for a new mother who is at first determined to keep her problem a secret.

Her trips to liquor stores are in-and-out missions. Perhaps she's being paranoid, but she thinks people tend to notice the stroller. Walking home, she stays behind buildings, in alleyways, taking discreet sips from a bottle she's stored in the diaper bag. She know she's become a villain: a mother who drinks; a mother who endangers her child. She drinks to forget this. And then the trouble really starts.

Jowita Bydlowska's memoir of her relapse into addiction is an extraordinary achievement. The writing is raw and immediate. It places you in the moment--saddened, appalled, nerve-wracked, but never able to look away or stop turning the pages. With brutal honesty, Bydlowska takes us through the binges and blackouts, the self-deception and less successful attempts to deceive others, the humiliations and extraordinary risk-taking. She shines a light on the endless hunger of wanting just one more drink, and one more again, while dealing with motherhood, anxiety, depression--and rehab.

Her struggle to regain her sobriety is recorded in the same unsentimental, unsparing, sometimes grimly comic way. But the happy outcome is evidenced by the existence of this brilliant book: she has lived to tell the tale.
Old 07-17-2014, 01:44 AM
  # 214 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lawgirl82 View Post
"Drunk Mom" by Jowita Bydlowska
Oh man, my list just keeps getting longer. I guess I better start taking some off by getting them off the shelf.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:18 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

I'm gonna need a month off work to read everything I want to.
I don't think work will be ok with that even though they are being supportive
Old 07-17-2014, 04:08 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  
Administrator

Old 08-13-2014, 04:30 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  
Do your best

Living/staying sober is the first book I properly read and was excellent in helping me realise I am alcoholic
Old 08-22-2014, 01:11 AM
  # 218 (permalink)  

I'll be original maybe but I'd add:
"The Secret" by Rhonda Byrne
it's not a novel, it's not about recovery per se but it can help.
Old 08-25-2014, 01:25 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

Goodbye Mr Wonderful - Chris McCully
Old 09-13-2014, 09:24 AM
  # 220 (permalink)  

After the 'fog' lifted somewhat, "Awareness" by - Anthony De' Mello was like a study guide to me. I still often pick it up today. You can also listen to some of his workshops on youtube.