Old 05-09-2012, 07:23 PM
  # 201 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome to you too GingerBeer

D
Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 PM
  # 202 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Welcome to all new members. Our Class of May boat is very popular, yay!

Originally Posted by GingerBeer View Post
The unhealthy drinking is not what I thought I'd be doing in my mid-forties
Yup, I hear ya, GingerBeer. Figured I'd be done years ago, too, but time sneaks up super fast. Glad you took the initiative to reach out for support. Lots of great people with spot-on advice here in this site. Keep reading, keep posting. Congrats on your 3 days.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:42 PM
  # 203 (permalink)  

Hi FrenchPink and D
Thanks for the welcome and congrats.

FrenchPink wrote:
"Sober since: May 6, 2012
Non-smoker since: May 7, 2012"

Wow! Double congrats to you on what you are doing
-GB
Old 05-10-2012, 04:18 AM
  # 204 (permalink)  

Welcome Ginger Beer, you will find lots of support here on SR.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:35 AM
  # 205 (permalink)  
Fdm

Breezed through Day 2. Didn't even want a beer last night. I'm finding that I'm more productive at work and at home since I'm finding ways to alleviate stress and/or boredom.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:56 AM
  # 206 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by GingerBeer View Post
Hi FrenchPink and D
Thanks for the welcome and congrats.

FrenchPink wrote:
"Sober since: May 6, 2012
Non-smoker since: May 7, 2012"

Wow! Double congrats to you on what you are doing
-GB
Thank you, GB. I was stuck in the infinite loop of "I'll smoke while quitting drinking, I'll drink a little to keep the edge off while quitting smoking" and then ended up doing both at the same time. I'm finding that a single effort to get clean completely is easier than maintaining one vice over the other.

Hang in there!
Old 05-10-2012, 04:58 AM
  # 207 (permalink)  

My first double digit day! Hang tight everyone we are going to do this one more day! Best wishes to everyone!
Old 05-10-2012, 05:04 AM
  # 208 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Great job, Fdm and 2magnolias!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:18 AM
  # 209 (permalink)  

Good morning! A week sober as of today woohoo. Just got done working outand now have tons of energy for the day.

Welcome to all the new people

2magnolias congrats on the double digits!!
Old 05-10-2012, 07:43 AM
  # 210 (permalink)  

Good morning everyone and welcome to all the newbies even though I am pretty much a newbie myself.I am on Day 9 and feling better every day,Yay!
I slept in later than usual today so will do my power walk later on the beach instead of the walkway (malecon) along the water.I am actually still in Mexico until the end of the month and every day is beautiful here with the crystal blue water and the white sand beaches.Well if I am going to detox,exercise and gain some spirituality what better place to do it than here.It is also good that I do not have my family and friends around me at this time as they just don't understand and they say I don't have a problem and to just drink 1 or 2 drinks with them.So I just need to get some non-drinking days under my belt before I go home and then get my behind to AA.
OK have a great day May people!
Old 05-10-2012, 10:36 AM
  # 211 (permalink)  

Anybody try hypnotism?

FrenchPink and all
I (luckily) never really smoked cigarettes besides trying to look cool in high school and very occasionally later. I liked pot for a while but cigs and pot never really had that social acceptability that drinking has. I totally see the connection for people who smoke and drink that when you do one the other feels natural so quitting both sounds daunting but might be the logical thing to do to avoid putting yourself in such craving/temptation by only doing one.

I also resonate with what you are saying about saying you'll first quit one and then quit the other when the time was right. I always had some reason that it wasn't the right time to stop drinking alcohol (vacation coming up, holiday, wedding etc) and that always put off taking that first day sober. And then the next.

I'm trying to shake up my routine timewise and taskwise.The cliche of 1-day at a time doesn't sound so cliche when I'm doing it...

There have been some people in my life who have used AA who I really respect and admire. I went to an AA meeting earlier in the week (probably my 6th one in my lifetime) and again I left thinking that it just doesn't feel right. It's obvious that the people there really find it helpful (and that is great for them) but lots of drunken stories just don't appeal to me. And I'm uncomfortable with the prayers and talk of God, even though it is said that it isn't necessarily a part of it - it always happens more than I expected and I find it hard to just skip over it.

I have some interest in hypnotic suggestions, not the stage version but more of the hypnotherapy. I have an appointment on Friday for an hour session. I'd like to try and develop an aversion to drinking and drunkenness in my subconscious - kind of like how I feel when I smell smoke on people's breath or see them huddled in the cold getting a nic fix. I want drinking to look unattractive in that same addiction way (instead of feeling the attraction to it that I currently strongly feel).

Good luck everybody!

GingerBeer
Old 05-10-2012, 11:13 AM
  # 212 (permalink)  

Ginger beer I'd love to know how the hypno therapy goes. Please let us know all about it!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:38 PM
  # 213 (permalink)  

This might be a tough night for me because my wife went out of town today for work and she travels a lot. Being home alone is when I usually drink out of loneliness and depression. I know that this leads to me being really depressed from the heavy drinking, but I am escaping at night after work until I just pass out. I am determined this time to break the pattern forever. I have reached the point of being sick and tired of being sick and tired all of the time. I am forcing myself to go to a celebrate recovery meeting tonight. I have never been to one of those meetings, but a friend of mine who could not stop drinking for years says that it is a good program. I'm not good at sharing my personal stuff with other people either and this is the first forum I have ever joined, but I am trying some different things now because what I have tried in the past has not worked. Thanks Everyone.
Old 05-10-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 214 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations to everyone - especially those hitting double digits
I've never tried hypnotherapy GB. Hope it works for you

stay connected Schwinn - there's a lot of support here
Hope you enjoy CR - I've heard good things too

D
Old 05-10-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 215 (permalink)  

Dee74: Thank you for your constant presence and kindness!
Old 05-10-2012, 03:05 PM
  # 216 (permalink)  

To Schwinn and anyone who spends lots of time alone...whether because of traveling spouses or whatever the reason:

I was a "bar drinker," not one to drink at home. Never really wanted to stay at home. Loved the social aspect of drinking.

When I decided to get sober last time -- which was my FIRST time after binge drinking for 25+ years -- (a year ago, lasted three or so months) I spent a week or so before my quit day preparing a "cocoon" for myself at home--a place I'd LOVE and look forward to going home to and want to stay in all night.

I "claimed" the den, told my husband and stepson they weren't allowed in (they both know about my alcoholism and quest for sobriety) and went to work making it my ultimate happy place.

I collected pillows and a stack of my favority fuzzy throws to make the couch super inviting, squishy and warm. I went out and bought a foot-tall stack of magazines I'd been eyeballing for months. I bought easy reading but interesting books. I bought a gorgeous journal and matching pen. I took a big comfy footstool out of another room and found a big antique tea tray to put on it for my coffee/tea. For the ladies, I added a nail file, clippers, nail polish remover, cuticle sticks & favorite polish colors--everything needed for the perfect manicure. (Tweezers and a mirror for eyebrow maintenance also!) I put my laptop on the footstool and dragged the TV & DVD player right up in front of the couch and VIOLA!!!!! I had my cocoon.

I FORCED myself to go to my cocoon every day right after work, and after making coffee on Saturdays and Sundays, I'd plop my butt right down there and stay there all day and night so stay the heck out of the bar. I read the paper, watched the news, a zillion movies, changed my nail polish color every day, surfed the web and so on AND IT WORKED!

It's like you're constructing a safe, loving environment for yourself full of your favorite things that will comfort you mentally and physically. Having your favorite comfort food on hand is also important!

So having said that, this cocoon not only helped me stay out of the bar, but kept me entertained and emotionally better while my husband works at night. I spend LOTS of time alone, and we all know what trouble idle hands are.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 217 (permalink)  

Done with finals!!!!! But all anyone wants to do tonight is go out and get **** faced drunk. I'm feeling pretty awful that I can't go join in.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:20 PM
  # 218 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Good afternoon, boaters. I really enjoy reading everyone's thoughts and messages of support. Nice to see so many embracing sobriety.

2magnolias, I love your cocoon idea. If I were a public-only drinker, I'm sure it would work for me as well. Long ago, however, I transitioned into a home-bound drinker after being an unsafe idiot in public too many times. Much to my amazement, I was an even bigger idiot drinking at home -- especially with the phone in my hand. While I tended to forget much of what had happened the night before, the crushing headaches and nausea were a punishing reminder the next morning.

That said, Class of May, Thursday afternoons are my pre-trigger days rolling into full-trigger Friday afternoons. On the way home from work on Fridays, I always stop for bottle of wine. I mean, come on, I'll only drink a small glass or two and then cork it for the night. No, really. Yeah, yeah, ok, I KNOW that I can't fool anyone on this site!

So, what's the plan to stay sober from Friday through Sunday? Chuck48 suggested scheduling weekend activities that require showing up hangover free. I've got plenty of yard work to do, the car needs an oil change, and I'll invite my buddy to an early brunch for Saturday....

Any other suggestions? What plans do you have?
Old 05-10-2012, 04:29 PM
  # 219 (permalink)  

I'm liking the making plans idea it might be a good way to distract myself from all the graduation/end of semester parties. I'm thinking I might go for a long run. I haven't had time to do anything more than a couple miles and it's really what saves me from my own head. I keep up with it even at my worst. So I think I'm going to get my dog and try to do 10k.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:35 PM
  # 220 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think you'll be glad tomorrow morning flicked - do something nice for yourself - a nice meal, a movie...whatever

My weekend plans at the start were always to stay pretty close to SR - my first few weekends were pretty tough, but the support here really helped me through

D