# 181 (permalink)  
urban chicken

Welcome Harpo!!

roosta
Old 05-09-2012, 03:07 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by thesun View Post
Welcome to the new people, this is a great class.

Well done FrenchPink for not buying cigarettes. I'm on day 4 of sobriety.
Thanks, thesun. Good job on a sober day 4... for both of us!
Old 05-09-2012, 03:08 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by roosta View Post
Day 6

Today was tough, that little voice that says its ok to drink was ever present today. Instead of beating it into submission, (lol) I acknowledged its presence and silently said "no thank you, not today." It worked well for being such a simple phrase.

Off to give the dog a bath...I left myself some work to get done tonight that I enjoy so the boredom monster won't come looking for me. Have a great evening everyone!

roosta
Way to go, roosta.
Old 05-09-2012, 03:21 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  
Sober Mammoth!

Originally Posted by cheeto View Post
Day 8 here and feeling better.No more feeling hungover every morning and dreading getting up which was after 10AM.I am up as early as 7AM and head out for my power walk first thing and even before my morning coffee now.Feeling good and I can remember what I did last night too.
Hope you all have a great day!
hugs xoxox
Good for you, cheeto, on your day 8. I'm inspired by your morning power walk idea, too.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:00 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fdm View Post
Almost felt a little bit of euphoria this morning. I walked a mile or so instead of driving on an inspection yesterday and instead of drinking, I mowed the lawn, grilled chicken, and did laundry and vacuumed. Slept well, woke up clear headed and proud.
Rock on FDM!!!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:07 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Livinday2day View Post
Without a thought I replied, no I'll pass today. Interesting, as that's been my thinking since day 1, take it one day at a time. Looks like the AA meetings are starting to sink in.
Must be something about Day 9, which is right where I am. Today is the FIRST day I've driven home from work and felt like I did NOT want to stop off a the bar!

We can do this one day at a time -- and tomorrow we hit DOUBLE DIGITS! Woo-Hoo!

Take care!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:11 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Well spoken Harpo!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:13 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Day 5, wahoo!
Old 05-09-2012, 04:31 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. This seems like a great place for me because I am on day 2 of not drinking.
Old 05-09-2012, 04:33 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome aboard schwinn

D
Old 05-09-2012, 05:57 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  

I made it home today without stopping for a twelve pack. Sadly, I started my day with four beers. I have been wondering for some time if I had a problem. I tried filling out all the questionnaires available online... Perhaps that's just denial?

When does day one start for me?
Old 05-09-2012, 06:09 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

welcome schwinn! come back every day -- morning, noon, night if you please! we're here for each other. way to go! stay dilligent and another day of success will be yours.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:17 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

got to stop: if you're contemplating whether you have a problem or not, it's likely you do. it's of UTMOST importance that you go talk with a doctor about your drinking and get their feedback about the best method for you to go about managing your drinking. quitting cold turkey can kill you. there's no way to 'predict' who will have DTs and end up in the ER versus who won't. you don't have to be a 'hard core/life long' drinker to required medically supervised detox. please call your doc at the first opportunity you get.

we're rooting for you.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Gottostop View Post
I made it home today without stopping for a twelve pack. Sadly, I started my day with four beers. I have been wondering for some time if I had a problem. I tried filling out all the questionnaires available online... Perhaps that's just denial?

When does day one start for me?
How about now?? Sending best wishes for much success - where there's a will there's a way. You can do this, Gottostop. Welcome aboard!!
Old 05-09-2012, 06:31 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by 2magnolias View Post
got to stop: if you're contemplating whether you have a problem or not, it's likely you do. it's of UTMOST importance that you go talk with a doctor about your drinking and get their feedback about the best method for you to go about managing your drinking. quitting cold turkey can kill you. there's no way to 'predict' who will have DTs and end up in the ER versus who won't. you don't have to be a 'hard core/life long' drinker to required medically supervised detox. please call your doc at the first opportunity you get.

we're rooting for you.
Now I'm worried. Do I keep drinking to avoid this? I've stopped before and I was fine. The last time I stopped cold turkey was back in December and that lasted about two weeks.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:38 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

I'm no doc--you must talk to yours because they can assess your situation and determine the best/safest method for you to get clean.

I have a friend in the hospital right now who just completed detox off alcohol with medication. He was a "daily drinker" who always had a drink in hand, but wouldn't get falling down drunk ever. His doc admitted him.

Take a look around Google at "alcohol detox" and read about the different experiences people have when they quit-- and how very different they can be.

Always be safe -- your job now is to take the best care of yourself possible -- for a change! You'll find it feels great.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:45 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Day 3 Got up studied and cleared all the liquor bottles and beer bottles out of my house.

I even sent out a few emails looking for a new place to live and I think I'm going to try to get a therapist.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:49 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Gottostop - I agree with everyone that if you're worried about DT's get to a doctor. They're terrifying and can be deadly. If you end up being ok then at least the doctors visit can help you get in touch with AA, other groups that can help or therapists.

Glad everyone seems to be doing well and I'm thinking of everyone
Old 05-09-2012, 07:13 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

End of day 3

Hi all. I'm not usually a big group joiner, or a forum poster but I will give it a try. So far so good. Sleep last night was not very restful...I felt hung over this morning though I've been abstinent for 3 days.

My habit is/was craft beers. Used to be just at night at my home after work but since I work alone it started to be at lunch and then last few months sometimes before work. Then after the family was asleep I'd putter around the house and sip beers til late (alone). Now I'm buying spicy ginger beers and sipping them instead (thus the screen name).

The unhealthy drinking is not what I thought I'd be doing in my mid-forties and not what I want my kids to grow up with (lots of functioning alcoholics in my family tree).

Anyway, good luck to all and I'm feeling pretty good so far...
Old 05-09-2012, 07:14 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome gottostop

I usually recommend everyone sees their Dr - I think thats got to be the preferred option over 'keep drinking' if you're worried about withdrawals

I know if I had my time again, I'd definitely see a Dr - it just gives you peace of mind, y'know?

D