Notices

How did you know it was time to stop drinking?

Old 04-03-2012, 02:45 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Raise your bottom. You can get off the elevator on any floor you'd like. You definitely don't need to hit "rock bottom"
I hit an emotional and spiritual bottom. I was/still am just dead inside. A shell. As the Big Book says somewhere "I couldn't live with alcohol, and I could imagine living without it". Or something along those lines. I'm glad you found SR and are feeling ready to quit!
Old 04-03-2012, 02:48 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Bruno1979 View Post

What I was wondering is do people really have to hit rock bottom to stop drinking? .
Bruno, something tells me that you will be giving us the answer to that question soon.

All the best with the beer monster.

Bob
Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I knew it was time to stop drinking when it stopped being fun, and became more like a chore. And I still drank WAY past that point.

Basically what happened in my case, I started drinking to get through shifts at work, and eventually lost my job due to my drinking.

I didn't even look into recovery until about 7 months after THAT.

And here I am, at day 32.

Trust me brother, if you're even contemplating not drinking, the time has come to stop.

I've found most people are a lot worse off than they actually realize. This may not be the case with you, but do you really want to do more "research" and find out the hard way like I've had to do?

Learn from my mistakes. Trust me when I say..........it's not worth the hassle.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:52 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

I knew long before I actually did. 3 dui's , ER visit , ICU , jails, ect. I dont know what really happened other than at 39 I said to myself try something else before I die.
Old 04-03-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

The moment I realized I needed to stop drinking and the moment I stopped drinking were years apart. I knew I needed to stop drinking 5 years before I actually did.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

I was spared the DUI's and the loss of family, money, home, and friends, thankfully. But it would have come eventually if I had continued. I was ready when I finally came to a place where I didn't want to drink anymore but I HAD to drink so I wouldn't be sick. I would wake up shaking and have to take a couple of shots before I even got out of bed. Often I'd be throwing them right back up, but I'd keep swigging them until they'd stay down. Then the shakes and sweating would stop and I'd feel "normal" again but that would set the tone for the rest of the day, which basically consisted of drinking, vegging out on the couch in front of the TV, and feeling hopeless and useless the rest of the day until I'd pass out. Then I'd wake up in the morning and do it all over again. It was no way to live ... in fact it wasn't living at all.

One day, I woke up I decided I wanted to live. Called the hospital, went through detox and got sober for the last time. I'll have a solid 30 days tomorrow and I truly AM living again. Best decision I ever made for my life.
Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

When I found myself drinking round the clock, totally miserable and in chains. I'd gone from having fun with it to being completely dependent on it. I had no hope or joy left. It had taken my soul.
Old 04-04-2012, 05:24 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

When:
-One morning I woke up vomitting AND pooping blood
-3 mornings in a row I woke up drenched in urine
-I had nothing left to sell and I was so sick I couldn't even leave the house
-I realized I had no friends left and my mother was the only one in my family who would talk to me (even after I was horribly mean to her tons of times)
-I was so sick of HORRIBLY detoxing I never wanted to go through it again
...and I'm sure there's more
Old 04-04-2012, 05:50 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It is kind of funny the line of reasoning we use...

'Whoa, for years now I've been making myself feel really lousy. I wonder what exactly is the further increased degree of intense lousiness I'm going to need to experience before I stop making myself feel terrible?'...'I guess when I feel terrible with the correct intensity that will surely stop me from doing this to myself so often. I deeply wish I didn't have this high tolerance for misery that I obviously must have. Too bad I can do nothing but keep waiting until that time when I make myself intolerably unhappy. Someday that happy/maxunhappy day must surely come.' (breaks into song...)

We're so often soooo friggin' nuts. I'm sometimes almost embarrassed to be an alcoholic.
Old 04-04-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by langkah View Post
It is kind of funny the line of reasoning we use...

'Whoa, for years now I've been making myself feel really lousy. I wonder what exactly is the further increased degree of intense lousiness I'm going to need to experience before I stop making myself feel terrible?'...'I guess when I feel terrible with the correct intensity that will surely stop me from doing this to myself so often. I deeply wish I didn't have this high tolerance for misery that I obviously must have. Too bad I can do nothing but keep waiting until that time when I make myself intolerably unhappy. Someday that happy/maxunhappy day must surely come.' (breaks into song...)

We're so often soooo friggin' nuts. I'm sometimes almost embarrassed to be an alcoholic.
Now THAT is funny! :rotfxko
Old 04-04-2012, 06:12 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
MINEr

In the ER when I almost died from alcohol related pancreatitis.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:46 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Member of the RESISTANCE

Waking up one morning and realising I'd drunk a LITRE AND A HALF bottle of vodka to myself the night before. That was when the game was up for me.
Old 04-04-2012, 07:56 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I realized it was time to stop drinking when I didn't even recognize myself anymore and neither did loved ones. I wasn't happy and neither was my boyfriend. I wasted lots of time on drinking and embarrassed myself at times. It's the fact that I am almost 26 and haven't done anything with my life the past 3 years. All I had to show for it was that I could drink over a litre of wine and not wake up with a hangover the next day - but that is hardly an accomplishment.
It's about time I start living my life & not have alcohol live it for me.