Old 04-03-2012, 04:01 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
desertsong
Choosing Life

I was spared the DUI's and the loss of family, money, home, and friends, thankfully. But it would have come eventually if I had continued. I was ready when I finally came to a place where I didn't want to drink anymore but I HAD to drink so I wouldn't be sick. I would wake up shaking and have to take a couple of shots before I even got out of bed. Often I'd be throwing them right back up, but I'd keep swigging them until they'd stay down. Then the shakes and sweating would stop and I'd feel "normal" again but that would set the tone for the rest of the day, which basically consisted of drinking, vegging out on the couch in front of the TV, and feeling hopeless and useless the rest of the day until I'd pass out. Then I'd wake up in the morning and do it all over again. It was no way to live ... in fact it wasn't living at all.

One day, I woke up I decided I wanted to live. Called the hospital, went through detox and got sober for the last time. I'll have a solid 30 days tomorrow and I truly AM living again. Best decision I ever made for my life.