Notices

Back again and determined this time to succeed

Old 02-29-2012, 05:54 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
JJB

Day three

Thanks for your posts,jocata, jrmar and sapling.
When I log on here and see replies I feel I'm not alone in this.

I'm following the list of tips taking different ones to concentrate on each day. So today's was the one about cleaning the house from top to bottom.
In the past I saw this as a terrible chore only to be done if I could "reward" (no guesses how)or anethetise myself. Idiot!

Actually it's yet another good tip and am now enjoying a cup of green tea and talking to friends on here.

Has anyone tried the one about writing a goodbye letter to your addiction?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:57 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yeah...I put that post up here...My councilor in rehab had us do it...It's a good exercise...How's the place look?
Old 02-29-2012, 06:03 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
JJB

Sapling, You mean you posted your goodbye letter to alcohol on here? I was wondering about that.

Place looks great! I even know where to find things now!

And before you ask I'm about to look up about meetings!!!
Old 02-29-2012, 06:07 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Progress my friend....What a wonderful thing...Before you know it...You might start feeling good about yourself.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:04 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
AA Member

Hello JJB, how are things? Writing a goodbye letter to your addiction is a great exercise, I took the one I wrote a year ago out just the other day, Wow pretty powerful stuff. I hope all is well with you. Congrats on your progress.
Old 03-02-2012, 09:15 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
ewo

Hello JJB! I'm new to this site (but have lurked for quite some time) and this is actually my first post! I just wanted to let you know how much I enjoy this thread! You sound a lot like me! I've attempted to quit in the past but would end up giving in and drinking again. It's been an ongoing struggle (I'll post my story in a separate thread sometime over the weekend). But my last drink was 2 days ago (Feb. 29) so we are close to the same quit date. Also, I use to only be able to clean my house if I "rewarded" myself with drinks between tasks (and, let's be honest, before/during/after as well)! Anyway, I'm enjoying reading your little tips & plan to keep an eye on this thread as I feel we share some similarities!
Old 03-02-2012, 09:45 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
ewo

Originally Posted by BLove06 View Post
Reading all these posts really makes you realize that you are not the only one with this terrible disease. Sometimes you feel so alone and as if there's no one that could ever understand. There's a lot of us out there. Trying to quit, relapsing, trying again........and when you read some of these success stories, it makes you realize that it CAN be done. I've dried out many times, and was sober for about 2 years while pregnant and nursing, I know I can live without the alcohol. I'm currently detoxing right now for what I hope and pray is the last time. My body is telling me I HAVE to stop. I am a 31 year old woman with a beautiful child and wonderful husband. I have so much to live for, and I have to get rid of the one thing holding me back and making me miserable. For me it's learning to deal with the hard parts of life without reaching for a drink. Learning to handle my anxiety without always medicating myself to feel more comfortable. Also, a huge thing is admitting that once you quit, it has to be for good. It's hard to admit that you will never be able to have a drink again. Alcoholics can't just have one glass of wine, or one beer. We don't stop at one, and the cycle starts all over again. I think of all the people in the world going through this process, and I hope and pray success for everyone.
Hi Blove! I, too, am 31, a mother, and a wife! As soon as I figure out how to navigate this website I plan to add friends & whatnot because I am guessing we might have similar stories and feel it might be helpful to share! When did you quit?

(Sorry I'm going off-subject from the original post)
Old 03-02-2012, 10:01 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ewo View Post
(Sorry I'm going off-subject from the original post)
It's OK ewo...It's been known to happen before...Welcome to SR...Why don't you start a thread and introduce yourself...Tell us a little about yourself and let's see if we can find a way to get you better...That's what it's all about..
Old 03-02-2012, 10:11 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
ewo

Thanks, Sapling! Do I do that in the Newcomers Forum? I will get my introduction out there tomorrow! (Right now I only have my kindle fire which makes it difficult to write a lot).
Old 03-02-2012, 10:14 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

That's fine...Do it right here in this forum...Start a new thread...Welcome to the site...I'll be looking forward to it tomorrow.
Old 03-02-2012, 11:47 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  
JJB

Don't worry Ewo I did exactly the same as you when I first joined it takes a while to find your way around. The list of tips was one I found online and I reposted it somewhere (oh dear I still don't REALLY know my way around!)

Jrmar please tell us more about your letter. How long did it take you? Did you ever show it to anyone?

Today a funny thing happened to me. I went into Paris and had a lovely day doing things I don't usually do -yes there really are nice things to do which don't involve drinking! Then on the train home that addiction thing kept tapping me on the shoulder and suggesting I buy some wine on the way home to give my day/week a perfect (?!!!) ending. I struggled and struggled with it in my head and by the time the train drew into the station addiction had (moreorless) won. Then just as I was coming out of the station (I turn right to go home and left to go to the wineshop) I bumped into a young person I had helped in the past and so was talking to her. As soon as I said goodbye I automatically turned right and by the time addiction was tapping me on the shoulder again I felt too sheepish to turn left and go the same way as the girl. So I carried on walking and got home and completed my five days!!!
How come that girl was there at that very moment? Makes me feel someone IS trying to help me and I guess AA would call it my HP.

Tomorrow will be day 6 and I will try to get to a meeting.
Old 03-02-2012, 12:05 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
ewo

JJB, have you been to an AA meeting before? Just curious because you don't seem to be nervous about going to one...because the thought of going to one is nerve-wracking to me!

And isn't it a funny thing that when you're feeling good/having a good day you think that having a drink will "complete" the good day? Same goes for me! I just need to keep in mind that, while it may sound like a "perfect" idea at the time, the next morning will be full of guilt & regret. Or worse. And so begins the cycle again.... I'm glad you were able to make the right choice!
Old 03-02-2012, 12:08 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by JJB View Post
How come that girl was there at that very moment? Makes me feel someone IS trying to help me and I guess AA would call it my HP.
Don't question it...Just stay out of the way...Good job JJB...Sounds like you are doing well...
Old 03-02-2012, 12:19 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

JJB, that little cat picture in your signature is the cutest thing I've ever seen. Do you have pets?
Old 03-02-2012, 12:36 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  
JJB

Ewo I try to identify it as "the addict part of my brain" which talks like that. I saw a really good picture of a hand chained to a bottle of wine and I would love to have one to put on my fridge/ carry around with me so that when that voice tries to persuade me that a glass of wine (GLASS of wine hahaha!)would be nice that I know very well it's not for pleasure but because I'm chained to it!

Sapling thanks for keeping an eye on me.

Luvmysis, I love animals but am not a catperson. This one is cute isn't it? I need to think of it laughing out loud when the idea of a "nice" drink comes into my head -what's nice about feeling sick and having blotchy skin and red eyes ? and since when could I just have ONE drink?!!! :rotfxko
Old 03-02-2012, 12:46 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ewo View Post
JJB, have you been to an AA meeting before? Just curious because you don't seem to be nervous about going to one...because the thought of going to one is nerve-wracking to me!
You know how you get over that ewo??.....Go to one....
Old 03-02-2012, 12:52 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  
JJB

Oops ewo I forgot to answer your question about aa meetings. Yes i have been to quite a few and to be honest they are all very different. Even if they are at the same venue , as soon as it's on a different day/at a different time it will be different.
I had been warned of this before I went to my first meeting and it's important to know because if you don't like the first one you go to it doesn't mean you won't ever find any other that will be helpful.

I personally tend to like meetings with a lot of women although I have never seen any reason to opt for a women only meeting. The reason I like the meetings with a lot of women is because although in my profile pic I look like a rabbit I am in fact a woman !

Of course it's all the same disease or whatever you want to call it but it's like anything else in life some people you get on better with than others.

All the meetings I've been to have names and so you should get some idea of what they're about, before you go. I went to one yesterday called Keeping it simple, I think the name speaks for itself and each person who shares is limited to 4 minutes. It was all simple down to earth stuff and I liked that. Oh and it was funny too!

Some meetings you get someone talking for (what seems to me like) hours and hours about their drinking past and I really don't find that very inspiring.
Horses for courses!