Notices

Trying AA

Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying AA

Hi, it's been a while since i've been on here. I didn't last more than a couple days my first attempt at sobriety. I finally hit the wall last night and decided that I really REALLY want to commit to living the sober life, for my husband, my kids and mostly for me. I found an AA meeting about a half mile from my house tonight, and I'm going. I have never been to AA before and always thought that I could stop on my own, that I didn't have a problem. I have been missing a lot of work, look like a bloated mess (probably smell like one too) and have never felt so unhealthy, depressed and anxious in my life. I am a binge drinking and have been really hitting the bottle hard in the last few months, which by the way, I can't hardly remember. I actually told my husband last night that I am an alcoholic (which, surprise surprise he already knew) but I've never, ever said it outloud. (which was very scary for me) so that's it. I'm excited and really ready to get a life and be who i am supposed to be, not the lush i've become. Thanks for listening.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:11 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good luck, Lindsey. Taking that first step by going to a meeting is a huge deal. You can do it!
Old 02-02-2012, 12:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Get the Big Book of AA at the meeting, read the Chapter "A Doctor's Opinion"; that is the "DUH" or "UH-HUH" revelation and you will know you have done the right thing and are in the right place. Good Luck, work hard.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Wish you the best on your journey...Sounds like you are ready.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

What sapling said..you do sound like you are ready for a change. I feel the same way. I want to be there person who I know I can be...Keep post Lindsey Marie!

Jim
Old 02-02-2012, 12:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Welcome to SR! Welcome to 12-step recovery! Both are awesome.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Lindsey,

I am going to my second meeting tonight. Good luck with your first. It was scary at first, but everyone was so supportive. You will be fine.
Old 02-02-2012, 01:12 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome back Lindsey

D
Old 02-02-2012, 01:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you have found yourself taking step 1 and really want to make a change do you wish it to remain a solemn promise or do you want to take action?

I like to ask those at their first meeting "How has drinking made your life unmanageable?" If you are prepared to answer that you have indeed started the road to recovery.

-SPG
Old 02-02-2012, 01:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thank you SPG - that is def food for thought. It has made my life unmanageable because I cant (don't want to) do anything that isn't booze related. I don't want to do anything after 11am (weekends) and 5pm (weekdays) because anything after that time interferes with my binge time. That's not a very good mother. "sorry kids, can't play outside because I don't want the neighbors judging me for drinking in the A.M." that hurts my feelings more then i can express.
Old 02-02-2012, 02:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Good for you, Lindsey, we are all rooting for you.
Old 02-02-2012, 03:57 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I am planning on going to my first AA meeting tomorrow night. I am nervous. I read so many mixed opinions on this board about the AA program. In my area there are no other types of face to face meeting to choose from. This will be my first sober Friday night in as long as I can remember and my first non-hungover Saturday in just as long.
Old 02-02-2012, 06:29 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

it was important to me that i worked on discovering how i was the same as others at meetings. all my life had been about how different ["terminally unique"] i was- but i had to remember- these folk had done something that on my own i could not do [oh yeah- i was good at stopping but terrible at stayin stopped!] so for the first time , i became a good listener.
then i put that stuff into action and 16 sober years later - yee hah!
Old 02-03-2012, 06:42 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I went to my first meeting last night and...I loved it. Well maybe love is too strong of a word, but I felt calm and excepted. I listened to stories, some were funny, some were heartfelt, but all were familiar. You all were right, I felt very supported and was congratulated that I was taking the first step. I didn't talk as a group, but during break and after the meeting, folks came up and introduced themselves asked me basic questions about myself, what is my name and where i'm from, but gave me my space and said when I'm ready to talk they are all there to listen. I got hugs from strangers and it felt great. I am so glad i went. I'm going to another one tonight that a lady told me about. She said when I go I will get a chip for being sober for 24 hours. She showed me hers that she received 6 years ago. I was and still am very inspired by the people at the meeting and the people here in this community. I know i've made the right choice. I don't think i've felt this awesome in years. seriously, thank you all so much. Nobody should do this alone.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:43 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I went to my first meeting last night and...I loved it. Well maybe love is too strong of a word, but I felt calm and excepted. I listened to stories, some were funny, some were heartfelt, but all were familiar. You all were right, I felt very supported and was congratulated that I was taking the first step. I didn't talk as a group, but during break and after the meeting, folks came up and introduced themselves asked me basic questions about myself, what is my name and where i'm from, but gave me my space and said when I'm ready to talk they are all there to listen. I got hugs from strangers and it felt great. I am so glad i went. I'm going to another one tonight that a lady told me about. She said when I go I will get a chip for being sober for 24 hours. She showed me hers that she received 6 years ago. I was and still am very inspired by the people at the meeting and the people here in this community. I know i've made the right choice. I don't think i've felt this awesome in years. seriously, thank you all so much. Nobody should do this alone.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:51 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I felt the same way...I walked out of my first meeting and I had hope....It's a wonderful thing.
Old 02-03-2012, 06:56 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Originally Posted by LindseyMarie View Post
YES! Welcome Home LindseyMarie! You never have to be alone again.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:05 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

oops i don't know why it posted twice. sorry!
Old 02-03-2012, 07:09 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

Ah, who cares about a double post? that post made my morning. Few things warm my heart more than when a newcomer comes into the rooms, they feel the love, their eyes light up, and their hearts are filled with hope. It's beautiful.
Old 02-03-2012, 07:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
So it goes

Hi Lindsey, I have been sober a week, and been to four meetings. The support you get from just being with people who are in the same boat as you is amazing. I dropped off the wagon last year and thought I could drink normally as I had solved all my problems. I hadnt solved the drinking one, which was the real problem I had. A hard lesson to learn, but I am glad I am sober again, and looking forward to my second sober weekend in a run. You will do great, go for it!!