Notices

Day 8 is it great?

Old 02-06-2012, 11:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 8 is it great?

This is the longest so far Ive been sober.

Today I went to supermarket and drew an invisible border around the booze area. Its a very big area.

For some reason I still feel very low and like an alien. I just feel like I don't fit in my new life style.
But the biggest concern is what to do with smoking. I don't smoke during day and I don't smoke regular cigarettes. I roll my own. Small ones.

Is it too soon to quit cigarettes as well? Or shall I give a little more time. Say a week or 2?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Blu**ed Lines...A ClockWork SR

Congrats on beginning your 2nd week! Personally I'm still smoking and don't want to quit at the moment, but will have a go at it in the near future (on day 15 at the moment). IMHO If you feel like and want it have a go... Just don't beat yourself up if it doesn't work this time.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I know what you mean about feeling like an alien at first! But it doesn't feel that way for too long... I'm on day 36 and I attempted to quit alcohol and cigarettes on the same day and that didn't last, I had to give in to the lesser of two evils, so I continued to smoke.

Don't give yourself too hard a time, continue with the sober life and cut back on the smokes gradually, I plan to cut down on the cigarettes once spring is on it's way. Anyway, if you roll your own they are (slightly) less bad for you then regular cigarettes.

Well done on 8 days also.
Old 02-06-2012, 11:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

ElegantlyWasted
Marius76

I think so too by quitting 2 things at the same time would be too much.

If someone could tell me when I will start feeling at lest 10% of a normal person.

I hope its not after 90 days.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Different people have different journeys HF -I think most people start to pick up after the first week or so tho...

if you're concerned about it or you think it's going on too long, you could always see a Dr and set your mind at rest?

congratulations on day 8
D
Old 02-06-2012, 12:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
JEANS

Hi Healthyfood, i'm so happy to read that your still sober. I started to feel a bit better around day 8 but it was only a slight change. It's different for everyone, each day you wake up feeling like rubbish just tell yourself that your a step closer to feeling good.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Jeans

Im worried that if day 8 seems very similar to all the other days, then what happens if this never changes? I will stay like this forever?

A week ago I thought that by day 5 I would be super happy and active, but obviously not.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dee74

How can Dr set my mind on rest?

Im just trying to understand why is it day 8 and no fireworks for me yet? Am I doing something wrong?
Old 02-06-2012, 01:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

It probably took a while for the ravages of alcohol to take its toll on you. Be patient with recoverying from such damage. You should see improvement soon.

As for smoking...don't overload your apple cart by taking on too much. Six more months of smoking probably isn't going to make that much of a difference...on the other hand, six more months of drinking is six months too many.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
JEANS

You definitely WILL feel better but we can't say when. I know that I was lucky at 8 days, that's the day I stopped feeling sick so it wasn't fireworks but it was something better. I still woke up feeling life crap for about 4 weeks but some days id feel something better than other days.

It really is worth the wait. From reading your threads I don't think you are doing anything wrong at all.

Hang in there and I'm sending positive vibes your way. Try and relax if you can, I found medatating really helpful in the early days because it helped take my mind off everything for a bit each day.
Old 02-06-2012, 01:55 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was told that there are ups and downs. It would probably seem more like downs because alcohol had elevated my mood to a point I wouldn't be reaching. Congrats on 8 days!
Old 02-06-2012, 01:56 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

doggonecarl

Ok I will keep my little cigarettes for a while. Overload is already unbearable.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jeans

Thank you for encouraging me. Today I realized that living drunk and living sober are completely different lives.

I hope all those good and positive things will come gradually not at once, I won't be able handle this roller coaster.
Even now little positive things start to sneak in without me noticing, but when I do I get a little scared. Cause nothing was happening before.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

sanderbant

Its not just ups and downs, it could be side ways as well.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:08 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Healthy,

Congratulations on 8 days I agree with the advice given on smoking. Tackle one problem at a time. I am still smoking too and I am not even going to attempt to quit until I achieve at least 6 months of sobriety. I still wake up every a.m. feeling exhausted. As unpleasant as it is, it beats a hangover and knowing I am killing myself. Also, as Jean and Carl stated it takes time. Patience - I know I need to work on that!
Old 02-06-2012, 02:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

tanja

Thank you. Congratulations to you too!

My sober evenings seem shorter than those when I used to drink.
How is that?

If you can't properly sleep, may be try drinking buckets of water during the day. I drink so much water.... it works.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:29 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Healthy - It took me way more than 8 days to feel human again. After all we've done to ourselves, it takes time to heal. Don't be discouraged if you don't feel the joy quite yet. I don't think there's a chance you'll stay this way - so please be patient with yourself and don't worry.

Congratulatins on your 8 days! Very proud of your accomplishment
Old 02-06-2012, 02:30 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

A week ago I thought that by day 5 I would be super happy and active, but obviously not.

as carl said, it took more than five days to get in such awful shape, it'll take some time to get better. take good care of yourself in the meantime.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hevyn

Thank you. I will wait as long as it will take.

All those who still drink (my friends and others) I see as lost souls in their empty lives.
There is nothing worse to live empty life and drink to patch it.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:38 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

least

I will do anything to get back and live normal life.

My thoughts today are very weird: when I look at alco in supermarket I see it as a massive trap! My legs won't go near that area.