Notices

Trying AA

Old 02-03-2012, 08:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LindseyMarie View Post
I don't want to do anything after 11am (weekends) and 5pm (weekdays) because anything after that time interferes with my binge time. That's not a very good FATHER.
I've never said the words out loud. Very ouch...you just called me out. Another honesty barrier overcome today. [this was pre sober for the record]

Last edited by MentalLoop; 02-03-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 02-03-2012, 09:44 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

"Openmindedness and willingness"

Thanks for great the post, Linday. You obviously have two of the core virtues required for recovery - regardless of the program. AA is the one that has worked for me.

Old 02-03-2012, 10:24 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

LindseyMarie! a few things about meetings, AA & recovery.

Meetings do vary so go to a bunch & see what ya like. If you are not sure about one, give it at least 2-3 tries.

While meetings are really good, recovery is found in the literature, the Big Book & the 12 Step & 12 Traditions, not in meetings alone. Meetings are part of the program/process.

Most of us do not have a ton of clarity early on, but go ahead & get reading those 2 books as much as possible. Whenever you can, crack one open to read. I to this day read them over & over. Head knowledge will not get me far at all. What most of us need to be successful w receovery is to have this information so well ingrained in us that is becomes a way of life. Living a spriritually principled life.

Learning to apply the Steps as a way of life.....

As far as a good beginning, I suggest you read the forward (3rd paragraph on pg 15 of the 12 Steps & 12 Traditions (12 X 12 it's called) and all of Step 1. Plus as much as you can in the Big Book.

It clearly tells me a few things paramount to my success in that Chapter.

I MUST admit complete defeat when it comes to alcohol. I MUST have hit my bottom.

CONGRATS on your new life, I GUARANTEE YOU you will have a life beyond your wildest dreams. Take direction from those who live this program, taking action for their lives. Be WILLING to grow and CHANGE AND TAKE ACTION.

That is plently for now. : D
Old 02-03-2012, 11:38 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

This is the hard to even type after I was so gung-ho for the first 30-something hours. Does anyone feel like they are on a rollercoaster? I mostly feel pretty good, on a natural high I guess, then BOOM one stupid little thing makes me feel horrible, pissed off, agitated and doubting if I can do this. I feel like I'm nuts right now. At work I'm surrounded my passive aggressive people and I can usually handle this, but right now SUCKS. I feel like laughing, crying and flipping the bird at anyone who makes eye contact with me right now. This is normal right? or expected? When will this pass? how long until i 'even' out? am I completely damaged? will this never go away? I guess this would be considered violent mood swings. I'm sorry to sound so, I don't even know the word i'm looking for.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:40 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

now i feel embarressed.
Old 02-03-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I would say rollercoaster is the right word for it...Enjoy the ride!
Old 02-03-2012, 11:43 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Lindsey...Nothing to be embarressed by. Good to post let people know what you are going through. It will pass.

Jim
Old 02-03-2012, 11:45 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

You have to look at what you have been putting your mind and body through for a long time...It will even out. Give it some time.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:02 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

It took I am sure some time to get to this point, it will take some time to process through it.

I found I needed the appropriate coping skills & tools I never had before.

THAT is what a structured program of recovery offers.

Focus on YOU, take action, be willing to change & grow.

The way you are feeling is part of the growth.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:07 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
dopeless hope fiend

This is the hard to even type after I was so gung-ho for the first 30-something hours. Does anyone feel like they are on a rollercoaster? I mostly feel pretty good, on a natural high I guess, then BOOM one stupid little thing makes me feel horrible, pissed off, agitated and doubting if I can do this. I feel like I'm nuts right now. At work I'm surrounded my passive aggressive people and I can usually handle this, but right now SUCKS. I feel like laughing, crying and flipping the bird at anyone who makes eye contact with me right now. This is normal right? or expected? When will this pass? how long until i 'even' out? am I completely damaged? will this never go away? I guess this would be considered violent mood swings. I'm sorry to sound so, I don't even know the word i'm looking for.
We all ride that roller coaster at first
how long it lasts varies
we can achieve emotional stability

It takes time and some work. nutrition, exercise, prayer, meditation, writing, sleep, meetings, and working the 12 steps have me in a place that is the most emotionally stable i've ever been. It ain't perfect, but i ain't anything like i used to be, and am continuing to grow.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:09 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

My sponsor told me...."I'm glad you are feeling this pain....Because I don't want you to miss any of it."
Old 02-03-2012, 03:25 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Welcome Lindsey. Glad you are getting into a program of recovery.

What you are feeling is normal in early recovery. Your emotions have been numbed by alcohol for so long and now they are coming to the surface and you are feeling them. It's hard but it will pass in time.

Don't ever give up.

God bless.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:26 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

sorry, triple post.
Old 02-03-2012, 03:29 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Welcome Lindsey. Glad you found a program of recovery.

Those emotions are normal in early recovery. Our emotions have been numbed by alcohol for so long. Take that away and they come screaming back to the surface. It will stabilize with time.

Don't ever give up.

God bless.
Old 02-03-2012, 05:07 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

I'm glad your first AA meeting was a positive experience.

About your emotions. I think it's pretty common for them to be all over the place for awhile, for me I think it was a couple of weeks. It's kinda like drinking surpressed them, and once you stop drinking they explode all over the place. It gets better!
Old 02-03-2012, 05:22 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome to hear and read all of this thread

I love my meetings , I try to go to one every evening they are my favorite part of the day.

Stay on the beam

So glad to have you in the fellowship.

When do you give up on a drunk? "Only about 5 seconds before their last breath" Sister Ignatia. One of my favorite in AA history.

Good love, Inda
Old 02-06-2012, 10:12 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

and the latest?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:13 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

and the latest?
Old 02-06-2012, 10:55 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Hi all! Thank you for the kinds words and support! I LOVE AA and as Inda said, it's def my favorite part of the day! I went to one Fri and Sat but had a little bit too much running around to do sun, so i couldn't make it. I plan on going tonight. Its amazing how much you can take away with you when you leave. I feel like a better person, mother and wife when i get home. Someone gave me the big book so i've been reading a couple of pages a night when the kids go down.

The two major things that have been repeated in every speaker's story, that really hit home are:
1) I cannot just have one or two
2) I have to keep coming back and not to think i've been 'healed' . that's a recipe for relapse.

I've also started incorporating a little HP in my life, which is just icing on my AA cake. Yay God!

It's only been 4 days, but I already can feel the new (or should I say the 'old') me peeking her head out. I just have to learn how to live again without beer goggles on and i'm pretty excited about it. Thank you for asking by the way! I love this place!
Old 02-06-2012, 11:03 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

I just have to learn how to live again
You're in a good place to do it. Work the steps and don't pick up!