Notices

How do I get out of this cycle?

Old 09-25-2011, 09:29 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Hi, day 1 for me too. It's rough going isn't it.
Old 09-25-2011, 09:54 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Putting it all together

Pink and MyNewName.....

Welcome to both of you and you need to keep coming back......addiction is hard and your head tells you lies....drink and drug........don't listen to your head......get with this site and positive people if you can..................

Blessings,
Kahlia
Old 09-25-2011, 03:25 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

First question: What do you do (you ask) if you don't like the person you are without the beer? If you manage to quit drinking you'll gradually discover your real self and you'll like yourself more than you ever did. Right now what you're listening to is your alcoholic "self" talking, trying to convince you not to give up the booze.
As for the DT's and other things that can happen in withdrawal. See a good doctor. He or she can help you with this, maybe prescribe something which can help. Give that doctor all the facts. That's the only way they can help you. Good luck.

W.
Old 09-25-2011, 04:43 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

I hope that you will find a way to get medical help because detoxing from alcohol can be dangerous.

I hated the person that I had become when I was drinking, so I thought there was a good chance I would like myself more when I was sober, and I sure did.

As far as what to do with yourself, I think volunteer work is always a good choice. Give back to your community.
Old 09-25-2011, 06:35 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
Hi Pink,
so glad you are here! I too raised my boys drinking every night and being hungover every day. Like you, I managed to get everything done that needed to be done. I held it together so tightly that eventually I couldn't hang on any longer and everything came horribly undone. I was baker-acted and went to a 30 day treatment program. I am a teacher too, Pink, and you might be surprised as I was, to find that the support system is larger than you might think. I had so many rooting for me. There is no shame in getting help, there is only shame in staying stuck. You will like the woman you are without the beer, pink, trust me...you will love her, just give her a chance. You mentioned that you like to sew and make hair bows for your girls. Throw yourself into this or some similar hobby. I am a soapmaker and you should have seen the hundreds of bars of soap cut and curing all over my house when I first stopped drinking LOL I went on to design labels, sell at the farmers market...I have some pretty loyal customers, but more importantly a creative outlet that led to many other creative outlets. I agree with the other posters about seeing a doctor. Hang in there...my thoughts are with you on your journey ...
Old 09-25-2011, 07:21 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Thank you guys! All this wonderful advice and support is really helping. Hey, I made it through day 2! So far so good
Old 09-25-2011, 07:22 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

@ MyNewName - Good luck and hope your day 2 went okay
Old 09-25-2011, 07:26 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sugarbear1 View Post
You aren't drinking 7 days a week...are you shaking on the days you don't drink?
@ Sugarbear - No I don't drink 7 days a week. Usually every other day or two (when I am on a good streak). I have never had the shakes so maybe I will get lucky. Blaming my current headache on sinuses Hope I am right or that is the worst it gets...
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Pinkflamingirl View Post
Here are my questions for anyone who has some solid advise. What if I don't like who I am without the beer? What do I do with the time I could potentially gain? Idle hands are the devils play-place and all.
What do I do if I have awful DT's and have no other adult around for the kids? I have so many concerns and a very small support system. Any help out there?
My advise may not be solid but it's thru experience. I don't think it was so much that I was afraid of liking myself after booze -but a matter of getting to know who I really was. Feelings and emotions get so masked by alcohol and anyone who has drank for any amount of time hasn't properly dealt with their true emotions. What are you really afraid of? What makes you truly happy? How do you deal with pain? How do you handle idol time?
Now that I can consider myself an alcoholic that doesn't drink, I have learned to except and learn what my emotions truly mean to me. I think that is the hardest part of living without alcohol. Truly being yourself. Always.
I spent years running in circles, keeping busy, looking busy, trying to stay up on life. It's exhausting. Now that alcohol is out of the equation I can relax. I don't have to keep busy. I don't have to prove that I can function. It's a welcome release of emotions.
I have found that being patient in life is the biggest step to take. I have learned to sit back and let life dictate to me how my life should play out. I don't go against the grain and I let things work themselves out. My faith and positive outlook ensures me that everything will go my way.
When you stop drinking, yes, you will have more time and keeping busy is helpful. You will eventually learn how to deal with your free time without raising a glass when you're bored. It is an enlightening experience to have time and not feel like you have to be drinking to fill it. Your girls will notice your calmness, your confidence -everything will change.
If you have medical concerns, consult your doctor. But I think once you stop drinking most if not all of your problems will be solved.