View Single Post
Old 09-25-2011, 08:56 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
EmeraldRose

Originally Posted by Pinkflamingirl View Post
Here are my questions for anyone who has some solid advise. What if I don't like who I am without the beer? What do I do with the time I could potentially gain? Idle hands are the devils play-place and all.
What do I do if I have awful DT's and have no other adult around for the kids? I have so many concerns and a very small support system. Any help out there?
My advise may not be solid but it's thru experience. I don't think it was so much that I was afraid of liking myself after booze -but a matter of getting to know who I really was. Feelings and emotions get so masked by alcohol and anyone who has drank for any amount of time hasn't properly dealt with their true emotions. What are you really afraid of? What makes you truly happy? How do you deal with pain? How do you handle idol time?
Now that I can consider myself an alcoholic that doesn't drink, I have learned to except and learn what my emotions truly mean to me. I think that is the hardest part of living without alcohol. Truly being yourself. Always.
I spent years running in circles, keeping busy, looking busy, trying to stay up on life. It's exhausting. Now that alcohol is out of the equation I can relax. I don't have to keep busy. I don't have to prove that I can function. It's a welcome release of emotions.
I have found that being patient in life is the biggest step to take. I have learned to sit back and let life dictate to me how my life should play out. I don't go against the grain and I let things work themselves out. My faith and positive outlook ensures me that everything will go my way.
When you stop drinking, yes, you will have more time and keeping busy is helpful. You will eventually learn how to deal with your free time without raising a glass when you're bored. It is an enlightening experience to have time and not feel like you have to be drinking to fill it. Your girls will notice your calmness, your confidence -everything will change.
If you have medical concerns, consult your doctor. But I think once you stop drinking most if not all of your problems will be solved.