Notices

watching_someone_else_go_down

Old 07-01-2011, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

watching_someone_else_go_down

A friend of mine "went out" again.

He lives in my neighborhood and this is the 2nd time since he's been "sober" that he's gone out and smoked meth.

It's been interesting watching him b/c he doesn't put any work at all (no AA, no other recovery method) into his sobriety and if asked he mentioned the 28day rehab center he completed 2 years ago.

He's still dishonest, takes short cuts, protects his ego, and is all over the place.

He called me from a hotel room this morning. No money, no cell phone, no car, his wife kicked him out, and his son is with his ex-wife.

He still continued to try to justify himself. I told him he's got to stop lying if he wants to get better. He's going to come over tonight. I hope I'm able to help him, but I just don't believe he's willing to put in the work to really change himself.

It's sad, but at the same time, we can't stay sober on what we did yesterday. I'm seeing him as living proof to this fact.

Kjell~
Old 07-01-2011, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Watching others helps keep you sober tho. I have done it in the past and I think I now have enough 'events' and consequences in my back pocket and they are hopefully burned in my brain for when I think I can take that one drink. God, I don't want to go back there.

I hope you can help him.
Old 07-01-2011, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Amen.

I was this way for a long time. I wanted to be happy but I wasn't will to work for it. I wanted to continue to drink as well. Not until I was really desperate and disgusted with myself did I actually start doing the work. I had to get to that point.

It is sad and it's difficult to sit by and watch it. It's also difficult to know how to help someone who isn't willing to do the deal. It's tough.
Old 07-01-2011, 01:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

It takes what it takes. I am of the firm conclusion that the willingness born out of desperation is a gift. It takes more pain for some people as compared to others before the requisite amount of desperation/willingness is achieved.

For myself: If I hadn't had that nine month adventure in untreated alcoholism (i.e., just not drinking, no AA, no steps, no Higher Power), I never would be where I am at today. I had to be in sufficient pain and misery before I was willing to give up completely.
Susan
Old 07-01-2011, 01:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by susanlauren View Post
It takes what it takes. I am of the firm conclusion that the willingness born out of desperation is a gift.
Hi Susan-

That has been my experience too. I didn't seek out a solution until I was in a lot of pain.

Hopefully, what I learned so far in AA, will carry over tonight to him. At least, maybe I can point him in the right direction.

When anyone anywhere, reaches out for help, I want the hand of AA always to be there.

Hopefully, I can be that "hand" tonight.

Kjell~
Old 07-01-2011, 01:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have witnessed a friend going out again this week, and with some distressing consequences. It is gut wrenching.

However it has hardened my resolve, and actually helped me to realise the true and significant pain I caused to others. Which of course I knew, but did not fully understand.

I think that is was only with a real desire to stay stopped, hard work, coming to self understanding and making significant change within ourselves with the help of counsell and support that we can truly remain and embrace sobriety.

Through whichever path(AA or other).... I hope your friend finds his way to his own lasting sobriety and a better life.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:10 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I've seen too many people go down for good. Not a cheerful subject, but someone should start a poll - "How many people have you seen go down for the count?"

Might be a shock for many just casually reading the forums...
Old 07-01-2011, 02:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I see this a lot on this forum and elsewhere, but I'm not a big fan of "it takes what it takes" or "willingness born out of desperation is a gift" - a lot of people are simply given a "solution" that is incompatible with their temperament, and no one tells them that there are other ways. People just sit by and watch because they had to hit "rock bottom" before they "surrendered" to a particular methodology.

Very twisted thinking.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
instant

Once the brain damage really kicks in it's more difficult.
Old 07-01-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Sorry to hear about your friend. I never did drugs before but I always hear that meth is a really bad drug to get into. Hope you can help him out but from what you say it maybe good to get him into rehab place. Get him sober for those 28 days and give him to tools to cope with his meth addiction.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:05 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
I see this a lot on this forum and elsewhere, but I'm not a big fan of "it takes what it takes" or "willingness born out of desperation is a gift" - a lot of people are simply given a "solution" that is incompatible with their temperament, and no one tells them that there are other ways. People just sit by and watch because they had to hit "rock bottom" before they "surrendered" to a particular methodology.

Very twisted thinking.
I completely agree. And how sad... what a waste of a life. Why not explore all options?? And furthermore... why the h*** do people listen to what others tell them like blind sheep rather than look into things for themselves?
Old 07-01-2011, 05:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I don't know about waiting around to hit bottom and surrender. I was busy trying all the other possible alternatives to try and solve my problem with alcohol. A particular methodology was the last resort for a solution. The solution worked perfectly. Susan
Old 07-01-2011, 05:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

My prayers go out for those in and out of recovery here at SR, AA and anywhere else they choose to seek recovery. Hate to see another person suffer.
Old 07-01-2011, 05:54 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Practice Sobriety

it's wierd to see people who you know aren't even close to being at the bottom, they may have no money, no house, but they still act like they got their stuff together
Old 07-01-2011, 06:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

When I was in your friends headspace.. through alcohol not meth... the greatest help for me were the people who advised or truly listened but who had strong boundaries.. I dont mean tough love.. but they were people who really cared but who I knew I couldnt manipulate... it came down to one good friend, and 2 AA members ..they didnt judge me for still drinking, but they did support me for trying...and kept giving me 'hints' on where to be and really listened..
Old 07-01-2011, 06:48 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Kjell
First, as a recovering person I try to hang out with healthy individuals. I have a friend with untreated alcoholism that I check on but I don't try to change her or spend any time with her. You can do service work anonymously at shelters. It suits me at this stage of recovery.
I would suggest not being the one to try and help your friend. From your post, it sounds like you have a lot of judgement towards him and you don't have faith that he can succeed. it sounds like if he doesn't agree with your suggestions you think he will fail.
When someone is ill I offer them a bed and food, a ride to the salvation army or the ER. When they are ready, they will choose their path.

PS This is not the start of an AA/nonAA discussion. It's too bad that seems to happen.
SH
Old 07-01-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I had a similar experience earlier this morning. I was going to a meeting, but it wasn't open. So I was walking around the corner, and ran into another guy I knew from AA and the streets. I yelled over to him, and as soon as I did, I realized he was drunk. Right away I was like, "Uh-oh."

He proceeds to tell me how he spent the night in the drunk tank. He then asked that I bring him to detox or a local rehab facility. I said, "Sure, the cars right around the corner." He then gave me $5 (for whatever reason, but crud I wasn't complainin'.) and told me he was heading to a bar down the street.

All I could think to myself was, "Man, nobody is going to give you a drink. You look like you slept in a dumpster, you have a goose-egg the size of a golf ball on your forehead, and you look like you've been in a motorcycle accident."

I felt so bad for him. And powerless, because there was nothing more I could do for him at that point. It was heart-wrenching man. I really wish I didn't have to see him like that, but I'm glad I did, because it opened up my eyes, BIG TIME.
Old 07-01-2011, 07:41 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

It is so hard watching others fall. Even tho I go down alot too. It def puts alot into perspective for me.
I watched this girl in Florida get out of the street.Homeless staying in abandoned houses looking dirty and sad. A guy took her in and she did really well for a couple months. And now she is back out there. But she also tried to be a drug dealer thinking she could do it. Selling the same drug she is addicted to. Didnt last very long. I will never forget what she said to me one night. She was mad because people were asking her for free stuff. She told them 'If I have to wait so do you. I'm the drug dealer and I cant even smoke.' I told her 'Well most drug delaers dont smoke to begin with' That was the stupidest thing I have heard anyone say in a long time.
She passed out and had a seizure in a store parking lot a couple weeks ago. She ODed on blues.
I have no room to talk. BEcause I am just as bad. I have 30 days clean now. But only because I am home.
It is sad tho. I'm sorry for your friend.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:15 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude

Hopeful your friend/aquantice will be responsive to your message. That is if they are not to spun out at the time.

And having more than one message will bump up the odds of getting through to others. I know for myself I needed options in recovery. It just reflected the world I lived in...choice is real and real helpful for those that have been tainted by the world and its nefarious good intention peeps.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:47 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Personally, only being 5 months sober I am not in any way, shape or form ready to help others. I consider myself strong in my standings but I needn't subject myself to others that way. Just the same as I wouldn't knowingly go to a bar to see a friend. We can meet elsewhere for lunch.
All I would (or could comfortabley) volunteer a friend is phone numbers or a ride to the ER (which ironically is across the street from my house!) I don't feel its my duty to 'save' them especially if you know they really don't want to be saved. I am not mentally prepared for that situation.

My neighbor is a constant sobering reminder of how not to act on a daily basis. Lately, (now that the weather is nice) he's been sitting outside drunk. And I mean DRUNK!
I was telling my son about him and he met up with my son in my driveway. He said he was afraid that I would call the cops on him and wouldn't come into my yard. GOOD! He's done that before and its' really annoying having a drunk stumbling around your yard babbling.
It's a shame to see good people waste away...I can say that now.

Just be careful kjell. You do what you feel necessary.