Notices

watching_someone_else_go_down

Old 07-02-2011, 04:42 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

He sleeping on my couch "as we speak".

I picked him up yesterday after work, took him to a meeting, where he got up on his own, and picked up a white chip.

I had already called a friend of mine and asked if he'd be willing to sponsor this guy and as we're walking out of the meeting, this guy asked me if he thinks my friend would sponsor him - pretty cool!

So, he's got a sponsor, I'm taking him to another meeting today, and he can sleep here one more night.

I think the rest is gonna be up to him.

Viva sobriety (and helping others)!
Kjell~
Old 07-02-2011, 05:12 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow, Kjell, what a cool opportunity. I don't know how much experience you've had with that kind of 'front line' 12 Step work, but it brings a whole new element to one's own program. Carrying the message up here in my head is one thing, but out there in action is a whole other deal. Good for you.
Old 07-02-2011, 07:55 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I completely agree. And how sad... what a waste of a life. Why not explore all options?? And furthermore... why the h*** do people listen to what others tell them like blind sheep rather than look into things for themselves?
Well, to be fair, a lot of the information out there on alcoholism and addiction is not so easy to find, and it is buried under tons of "fluff," for lack of a better word. Most people do listen to others, and if they hear "do this and you'll be OK" from everyone, they will believe it. I'm sure many on this board have tried to "cut back" simply because everyone said "oh, you just need to cut back," for example.

As for the methodologies, I've come to the realization that it really does have to do with people's temperament and/or way of thinking, much like artistic types versus analytical types. The people who "get" the traditional 12-Step model, for example, may not "get" AVRT, and vice versa. Some people benefit from face-to-face group support, while others find that it makes them very uncomfortable. There is something in the way that they process information and look at the world.
Old 07-02-2011, 10:35 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Looking For Myself...Sober

Wow kjell, Your a true friend. I hope it all works out for him.
Old 07-02-2011, 01:22 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
i've done my almost

Originally Posted by keithj View Post
Wow, Kjell, what a cool opportunity. I don't know how much experience you've had with that kind of 'front line' 12 Step work, but it brings a whole new element to one's own program. Carrying the message up here in my head is one thing, but out there in action is a whole other deal. Good for you.
Not much experience (I do have one sponsee), but I'm gaining some of it right now.

It feels good and I've been keeping my sponsor in the loop as what's going on.

On a side note, I had a tennis match earlier today and then went swimming in our neighborhood pool. People were coming up to me and thanking me for helping our friend out (he lives in the neighborhood and most people know about it now). I even spoke to his wife (who I'm also friends with).

I'm grateful I'm being looked at as a solution, instead of the problem I used to be.

Kjell~
Old 07-02-2011, 04:37 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Laozi Old Man

Originally Posted by Kjell View Post
A friend of mine "went out" again.
Some people serve as good examples of good behavior.

Other people serve as good examples of bad behavior.

Either way, they serve us in some capacity.