Notices

Moms (and Dads) Who Drink

Old 01-18-2011, 03:07 PM
  # 241 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Liv2011 View Post
it's like everywhere - everywhere people are drinking!
I have been noticing this too. Everytime I watch TV or a movie, listen to the music, read emails from friends - it seems like everyone is drinking, all the time. It's incredible really. It reminds me of when you buy a new car and then all the sudden it feel like everyone is driving your car. You spot it everywhere on the road. It's a creepy feeling.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 PM
  # 242 (permalink)  

Parents Who Should Not Partake

Hangin' in there, I sure do identify with you guys. I like the parent track.
I have not managed more than 1 or 2 days at a time completely without drink, but have kept it to a low roar for a couple of weeks now (all that means is that the spouse and kids didn't worry because I am a wreck; I am aware that it is no real accomplishment to sneak "only" 3 or 4 drinks as well as the socially acceptable 1 or 2).
I have very slow internet at home and so read without posting, but I am at work now and wanted to check in. You are all being very brave and inspiring.

I will keep on trying for sobriety, just wanted to give you a shout-out, it helps to read here even if the reality isn't mine yet.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:15 PM
  # 243 (permalink)  

Wow, feeling really nice & peaceful here at day's end. more of this please!
Old 01-19-2011, 12:41 AM
  # 244 (permalink)  

((Maryjan))
l too had to face all those emotions l had kept buried way down deep while drinking and l had many days l could have stayed in bed sobbing. I chose to take one day at a time and although l can't erase the past and the hurt l have caused my family l can show them l am committed to my sobriety, and for now that's all l can do.

The first step towards change is acceptance.
Once you accept yourself you open the door to change.
Change is not something you do, it's something you allow.
Will Garcia.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:22 AM
  # 245 (permalink)  
Sick doctor

A Dad on day 17 - my daughter wasn't feeling great yesterday evening, and I thought she might get sick during the night. Times past, I would have stumbled out of bed at 3am, half-drunk still and all flustered, and mopped up and changed bedding in a muddled, retching temper. Last night I went to bed thinking 'if anything happens, I'll be ready' - ready for kindness, ready for the smell of sick... and ready to sleep soundly!

It sounds odd, but I'm really relishing my emotional availability - long may it last!
Old 01-19-2011, 07:20 AM
  # 246 (permalink)  

Thanks, Marni...I actually try to WORK toward acceptance...it's a really nice though that maybe I can just rest and wait.
Old 01-19-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 247 (permalink)  

Also glad I found this thread, I've been feeling like it was "just me" for so long. I'm a stay home mom to 2 boys under 2 and can relate to drinking to feel like I'm having adult time. Or having a drink to mentally escape the nerve-grinding cycle of butt/nose wiping and tantrum soothing. However I know there has to be a better way as I feel terribly guilty for the way I handle it all now.
Old 01-19-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 248 (permalink)  

Welcome, and there IS another way. Pour some seltzer and come hang out here!
Old 01-19-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 249 (permalink)  

hey! I am 30 days sober today!
Old 01-19-2011, 11:07 AM
  # 250 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your 30 days! You must feel so awesome!!!!!! Hope you do something special for yourself today.
Old 01-19-2011, 01:36 PM
  # 251 (permalink)  

Congrats Maryjan!! That's awesome!
Old 01-19-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 252 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations MJ

D
Old 01-19-2011, 01:38 PM
  # 253 (permalink)  

Celebrating with my kids, pink panther cartoons, and a box of girl scout cookies. Life is grand.
Old 01-19-2011, 03:03 PM
  # 254 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 30 days maryjan that's huge
you picked theperfect way to celebrate, spending quality time with your kids!
Welcome to jarona and tomsson, glad you both found SR
keep posting and let us know how you're going.

The first step towards change is acceptance.
Once you accept yourself you open the door to change.
Change is'nt something you do, it's something you allow.
Will Garcia
Old 01-25-2011, 01:37 PM
  # 255 (permalink)  

Day 11

Getting more done each day...I find just filling my free time with things to do helps immensely. Been going to the library, actually reading books to my kids, playing board games with the kids - I guess the time I spent drinking was time I wasn't being much of a mom...I hired a weight loss coach yesterday to help take off the weight I gained while drinking...I think it will take 5-6 months to realistically get the weight off but I am excited...
Old 01-25-2011, 01:53 PM
  # 256 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Liv2011 View Post
Getting more done each day...I find just filling my free time with things to do helps immensely. Been going to the library, actually reading books to my kids, playing board games with the kids - I guess the time I spent drinking was time I wasn't being much of a mom...I hired a weight loss coach yesterday to help take off the weight I gained while drinking...I think it will take 5-6 months to realistically get the weight off but I am excited...
that's great the weight coming off (I found) was a huge boost to overall good feelings - however the work to do it is the true contributing factor, your body will thank you with good sleeps and a better mood.
Old 01-25-2011, 03:23 PM
  # 257 (permalink)  

My thoughts are changing too...before I felt often 'what is the point of all this?'...like everything, life, etc...now it's actually feeling fun to see my kids learn and grow - and me as well. Before it felt like I was a hamster on a treadmill, I wanted to be done with whatever I was doing so I could drink again. Get that drink and sit and enjoy it, that was really my only enjoyment. Everything I had to do for the kids, take them to school, lessons, scout meetings, birthday parties...felt like such drudgery. That said, if anyone reads this and you are a parent still drinking, I completely understand that, I mean I've been there, I know it's hard but it can be done (stopping the drinking)...At first it was really really hard to live in the world sans a drink in hand - but then it got easier and now life is starting to become more fun than before when I was drinking. Life just completely overwhelmed me before but now, wow, not drinking has made my life so much more manageable...I can't wait until I can buy smaller clothes...maybe some people can get away with it but alcohol packs on the pounds for me!
Old 01-25-2011, 10:28 PM
  # 258 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shevrard View Post
2 weeks today. Never thought I'd make it this far. I feel so much better physically. It's amazing really. Still having a horrible time sleeping though. That is not much fun at all.
my sleeping got better right around week 3. I am on day 31 now and sleeping through the night. I don't even remember the last time I slept so soundly. Decaf teas, water, and reading before bed have helped me a lot.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:35 PM
  # 259 (permalink)  
Not waving, but drowning

Hi,

Bumping this thread since it was so interesting a week or so back. I'm still thinking about the effect my drinking had on my parenting, and it is helpful to hear from others.

I had a wonderful chat with my son over the weekend, and am so relieved that I don't worry anymore that he'll call at night when I've been drinking....

D
Old 01-31-2011, 11:06 PM
  # 260 (permalink)  

Crazy how it gets, isn't it Danae? I mean, to worry about being busted by my own kid! My daughter is so young, but I still wonder how much she might have noticed...