Notices

Class of August 2010

Old 08-05-2010, 11:09 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by PennyLove View Post
I guess you all will be my new online family - Today is my day one, so I guess that officially puts be in the August family.
Today is my day 2.
Sorry you aren't feeling too well.
Old 08-05-2010, 05:23 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Welcome August 2010 group!

I wish you success. I'm a member of the August 2009 group and we are still active on a daily basis a year later. It has been a great help and inspiration to me to be a part of such a group and I hope that you will have a similiar experience. If you want to stop by and say hello in our thread please feel free to do so.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:13 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Day three and I'm feeling pretty good today. Went to the store and glided past the wine isle - have more energy than the last two days. Got home from work and put away 200 lbs worth of pet food, water the plants, chickens, dogs, etc... Now I'm off to get a load a laundry done.

For the weekend I'm looking forward to doing a few things I may not have been able to do when I was drinking because I often would start drinking pretty early and wouldn't be able to drive.

I also plan to get 1 place in my house REALLY clean - again, something I neglected to do when I was drinking.

I also plan on going to the store and stocking up on a few non-alocoholic beverages to keep on hand - good earth tea for iced tea, sparkling wated, diet soda, etc......

Stay strong all and take it one day, one hour, one minute at a time. What ever it takes!
Old 08-05-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

keep it up Awesome Augustinians!

D
Old 08-06-2010, 08:41 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Day 4

Where is the Class of August 10? I hope everyone is doing o.k.

Friday night was a little of a struggle for me - Usually I would be like "Wohooo - it's Friday night! Can't wait to go home have a drink or two, three, four.... not worry about getting dinner done fairly early, stay up late, sleep in, no worries of going to work tomorrow" Of course I would wake up with a hangover and ofter pour a drink "or a bump as my grandmother used to call it" to get my hangover in check in and get my morning going.

So tonight was a bit of a struggle coming home knowing I wouldn't be drinking. I felt a little empty. I feel like I'm white knuckling it tonight. Thankfully I don't have any alcohol in the house and the nearest store is 30 minutes away.

My question for Dee, Carol, Anna, or anyone else for that matter - how long do these white knuckle feelings last?

I'm trying to look forward to a nice sober Saturday - and getting out of the house a do a few things I wouldn't do if I were drinking.
Old 08-06-2010, 08:54 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Penny

I remember the first month was pretty hard for me, but we all have our different experiences

I think if you're doing other stuff beyond just 'not drinking' and working on yourself....you start to feel better about being sober and the white knuckling gently gives way to a kind of quiet happy acceptance - that's how it worked for me anyway...

D
Old 08-07-2010, 07:30 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Day 5

Woohoo! Today is the first in a long time that I have woke up clear headed with out a hangover!!!! I actaully slet in to 7:00!!!!! Last night was a bit of a struggle without my good friend alcohol to keep me company. But I got throuth it and am thankful for it.

It is a beautiful day here in California and I plan to enjoy every bit of it.

Thank you Dee for your response last night. It helps to hear from people who have been through this and are now living happy sober lives.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:04 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I'm so poroud of myyself today. Normally on a weekend I could dring from sunup to sundown. Today I got out of the house fairly early and visited a local farmers market. It was a very pleasant day. My struggle was when my X came over to help fix my car. Of course the first thing he asked me was if I had any beer. I said "sorry" His response was, "Oh well, I'll have to drink my own, do you want one?" It was hot outside and a cold beer would hve been nice - but I still said "no thanks." Thank god he didn't ask any questions, I'm so not ready to there with him. If I go the AA route there will be time for that later.

It is the end of the day and I feel good with myself today. It feels so much better being sober.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:23 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

PennyL~Hear ya about Friday night...and it's the wknd thing. Good for you turning down X's offer of beer.
Last night I got really close to wanting a glass of wine. I was at a concert and Everyone seemed to have a beer, cocktail or wine in their hands.
I walked by so many Booze Booths! UGH! Luckily, I stuck to my bottled water. I was offered a beer and I said, no thanks. Beer makes me want to urinate and I'm not using one of those Porta-cans. That excuse worked. LOL!
Old 08-07-2010, 10:38 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Hready - Thank you and Congratulations! I bet you felt pretty good today!

It's important to celebrate the little victories.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:53 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Yep and Yep.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:57 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Hey Penny and HReady, you guys are doing great! I stumbled with the whole dog thing, but I'm back and going to bed sober. I look forward to checking in with you tomorrow.
Old 08-08-2010, 12:14 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Shal - keep it up guys!

D
Old 08-08-2010, 05:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

The dawn of Day 5 for me and I'm so happy to have found this group. It makes me so happy to read the stories of others who are also just beginning this journey. I was drinking every day after work and on weekends I actually had a scheduled start time because I knew how I could get my 6-8 hours in (sometimes more) of partying. 17 years of my life were spent like that, amazing.

Friday night was tough, I really had to fight the urge to go out and see my "friends" who were all out at our usual watering hole. I know full well if they are my friends we will find new things to do, new places to socialize, and the lack of liquor will not come between us. For those that have an issue with that, they weren't friends to begin with.

Anyway, so I kept busy Friday night with some errands, got some groceries and did some cleaning and I made it through. Keep posting your stories everyone, it helps me to know I'm not alone.
Old 08-08-2010, 07:43 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Shalisan – Welcome back!

If I had alcohol in my house I would have done the exact same thing!

It’s like leaving a steak on the coffee table and expecting a puppy not to eat. Puppies don’t have the training to leave it. We are alcoholics – we drink alcohol, just like dogs eat meat if left within their reach. We don’t have the tools to leave it alone like an well trained dog might able to.

Is there any way you can get all the alcohol out of the house?
Old 08-08-2010, 07:51 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Welcome to the group Mplsguy.

I felt the same way Friday night - only I drink at home. I'm glad I made it through Friday night because waking up clear headed and motivated was awesome. I had a really good Saturday because of it and I'm going to have a really goos Sunday to follow up.
Old 08-08-2010, 08:44 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Good morning Class of August 10 –

I don’t know about you, but I’m looking for other things to drink instead of cocktails. Yesterday I noticed I had WAY to many diet sodas. Last night I came across a great thread in the recovery section labeled “What do you drink?” It has great suggestions for alternative non-alcoholic drinks.

I found that the simple process of drinking is part of my behavior and I don’t think drinking 5 diet sodas a day is a great idea, though much better than drinking a fifth of vodka.

I thought I would share one of my favorite flavored waters with you.

I have a pretty big garden and always have a surplus of cucumber on hand.

Simply slice a cucumber in a pitcher of water and add a little mint and place in the fridge to chill.

You would be surprised at how refreshing this is. You could also add sliced lemon, lime or orange – what ever you like.

Give it a try – especially if you have a garden and a surplus of cucumbers on hand.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:08 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Hi PennyLove,

Guess I am officially the Class of July 2010, but close enough. That cucumber drink sounds pretty refreshing. I too experience the need for liquid thing and find myself drinking a lot of water. It's like I've been crawling through a desert for the last however many years. My friend recommended Sobe water to me yesterday. It's sugar free, has less of an after taste than other sugar free products, and tastes pretty good. No calories or carbonation either.
Old 08-08-2010, 09:35 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

I am so glad we are all here! Working on "Day Cinco" here. I'll prolly make some tacos to celebrate "cinco" in a different way for a change!

Lets all keep waking up without regret and shame and thrive on our daily victories often together. I look forward to our continued mutual support!
Old 08-08-2010, 10:21 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

Good morning! That sounds like a very refreshing drink. I am so impressed with how you are doing, Penny! Especially when your ex offered you a beer. It sounds like you have your hands full as a single woman with pets (200 lbs of food? Wow!) and a big garden. I'm not ready to make announcements that I am not drinking. I'll leave that for here until I am more stable with it. Start to stabilize would be a better descriptor.

Doesn't today feel great, sober? Cleaning my house feels cathartic. I look forward to the day and future. I know there will be tough times ahead, but I want to LIVE again, and not just get through.