Notices

Class of August 2010

Old 08-02-2010, 09:31 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Class of August 2010

I tried this a couple of months ago, but didn't make it two weeks. I've known for a long time that I need to quit. Today, right now, I am seriously going for it. I know it will help me to talk with others who are working through the early days. Let's make a pact to support each other. I'll keep checking back and welcome anyone to jump on board!
Old 08-02-2010, 11:03 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My plan today is to be gentle with myself. I am going to clean the house, and get rid of any reminders of the alcohol (bottles, wine stain, etc.) Start with a clean slate. I'll take care of myself, take my vitamins and supplements, go for a bike ride, drink water, relax, and maybe nap. I'll start a plan for how I'm going to be successful. Lately, I have been paying attention to my triggers. The triggers are still going to be there and I need to brainstorm other ways of dealing with them.

Let me introduce myself. I am a 45 year old single woman. I have two daughters (24 and 20) and a delightful 5 year old granddaughter. My younger daughter lives with me. I also have a teenage foster daughter.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:20 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Today is my first day

I have tried and tried and tried to quit drinking. This weekend I promised myself and god that I would not drink hard liquor in public anymore. Only at home alone if I needed it. But today I realize I need to completely cut alcohol out of my life. I love beer but now I realize I don't know my limit anymore and I make a fool out of myself. It is embarressing and shameful. It is 100% unfair to my kids. I am ready to change my life, my way of thinking, my way of handling stress and boredom. But I need help.
I need to keep busy when at home and constantly remind myself of how I feel today. How ashamed of myself I am for letting my drinking get out of control the way it has.
Today is day 1.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great for both of you!

Shal -- I like that you want to have a plan in place; that is really, really important.

Scared -- many of us have tried to control our drinking in many ways: switch from hard stuff to beer/wine, drink ony at home, drink only on weekends, etc. If you are an alcoholic (and only you can answer that!), controlling your drinking will not likely work. I know it didn't work for me long term, maybe for a while.

Good job and make day one a day to remember -- write down how you feel, both physically and mentally.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey Scared1, I'm scared too (that was a pun, lol). Yeah, I hear you about promises to limit, and trying to change the usual place/drink/pattern as a control. It hasn't worked for me. Actually, nothing has yet, but I know I need to. I have too much to live for, and this isn't living. Congratulations on taking this step. We can do it.
Old 08-02-2010, 01:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you. Today I did write down how I feel and put it in my purse so I can carry it with me everywhere. I need to really work hard on this. I know this is going to be a huge battle for me. In April I went 5 days straight without drinking and I was so proud of myself. But That 6th day, I thought "ah what the hell just one beer with dinner" I have not gone multiple days sober since then. I never knew how little will power I had but YES I will focus and work hard now. I need to.
Thank you for your support and we can support each other. We WILL do it, we will win this battle!!!
Old 08-02-2010, 03:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back Shalishan and hi Scared1!

D
Old 08-02-2010, 03:22 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Being at work is the easy part. I don't drink during the day at work. Being home is the hard part. That's when the craving monster hits me hard. My strategy for tonight is I have no alchohol at home right now. I have a liquor store up the street, but My second plan is to not have any cash on me so I won't be tempted to go buy a tall can. I know tonight will be ok with these strategies but after a few days, I will really have to work on pure will power. Good luck to you Shalishan, I guess it is just one day at a time. Mini goals and successes.
Old 08-03-2010, 08:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Newbie to the August Family

I guess you all will be my new online family - Today is my day one, so I guess that officially puts be in the August family.

It was a very long day of feeling depressed, jittery, and had a pretty good headache most of the day. Haven't done much more that read posts on this website.

I found it hard to do anything today - totally unmotivated!

Old 08-03-2010, 10:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi Pennylove. Welcome to class. Yesterday I spent a long time on the net and this forum reading about recovery. Lots of good reading. Today I fee irritable, sleepy and kind of like I have a mild case of the flu. But I made it through! Yeah!

The next couple of days will be challenging. Tomorrow is a very important milestone meeting at work, which I head. I have identified it as one of my triggers when I pull out all the reserves and do my best, then I just want to wash away the stress after the fact, and drink wine. The next day will be very emotional as we have an appointment with the vet to put down my much adored 15 year old dog. But I don't want to drink to deal with stuff anymore.
Old 08-03-2010, 10:50 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm sorry about your dog situation Shalisan.

D
Old 08-03-2010, 10:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Day 1 here as well. Shalisan, scared1, and PennyLove you will all be in my thoughts. I'm pulling for you guys!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey fighting chance. I'm really glad you found us here. How are you feeling? And how is everyone else? I was relieved to wake up day 3 sober- so used to waking up regreting drinking the night before. Didn't sleep well, but I have a lot on my mind and I am sure my body is screwed right up now. I wish the Class of August a good and sober day.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:06 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shalisan View Post
Hey fighting chance. I'm really glad you found us here. How are you feeling? And how is everyone else? I was relieved to wake up day 3 sober- so used to waking up regreting drinking the night before. Didn't sleep well, but I have a lot on my mind and I am sure my body is screwed right up now. I wish the Class of August a good and sober day.
Good job! I didn't sleep well last night either, but I was relieved to wake up sober as well. It's definitely worth it to be a little tired, but mentally "there". Have a great day, I'm right behind you with 2 days.
Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Hey all,
I'm so happy that I found this forum. All of you are fighting the same demons I am. I'm day 5, and I'm doing ok. My triggers are my troubled teen daughter, and also certain times of the late afternoon, when my husband comes home, and we'd have a cocktail and talk. I've had triumphs in the past 5 days, and also had moments that I've craved very hard. We are all here to support one another. xoxo to all
Old 08-04-2010, 09:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Lightbulb

Shalisan - I'm so sorry to hear about your dog. I have a dog who is getting up in age and not getting around as good as she used to - I can only imagine what you are going through. Hang in there.

It looks like we have the starting of a great support system here. I think it really helps to talk to other people who understand what you are going through. There are other groups here that have stayed in touch for years - I tried this 18 months ago and failed. I was doing great for about 4 months and decided I could handle one night out drinking with my friends. Boy was I wrong. It was a slippery downward slope from there. It saddens me to log on here and recognize folks that started when I first did 18 months ago and they are going strong.

Fightingchance, I here you! Today was day two from me too- I was really tired from not slepping well, but thankful I'm going to bed tonight sober and will wake up without a hangover.

I look forward to when my body is more balanced and rested so I will have more energy/motivation.
Old 08-05-2010, 08:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

It really does seem like the start of a great support group. I am glad you're all here.

Thank you all for your kind words about what I am going through with my dog. It's tough. My family was here last night, saying goodbyes and sharing memories. It was very sad (plus, I was physically and emotionally exhausted). Later, I remembered I had most of a mickey of brandi left over from a recipe. Well, I lost that battle. But, today is a new day.

Best wishes to you all on your new day.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:01 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I remember burying my dog years ago, I cried the whole time. My heart goes out to you.

And hey, it's still August Best wishes on day 1.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi August group,

Shalisan, I am sorry to hear about your dog, and it's good that you are coping well.

I hope you all have a good sober day.
Old 08-05-2010, 11:04 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shalisan View Post
I tried this a couple of months ago, but didn't make it two weeks. I've known for a long time that I need to quit. Today, right now, I am seriously going for it. I know it will help me to talk with others who are working through the early days. Let's make a pact to support each other. I'll keep checking back and welcome anyone to jump on board!
Same here....
I'm a Newbie...just registered here yesterday. Day 1 was yesterday for me. I did OK...
Sorry to hear about your dog.